Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Chartering
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2003

uriah is on a distinguished road
Has anybody had any experience, good, bad, or otherwise, with MG Yachts? I''m considering renting with them and certainly like the fact that everything can be charged to a credit card. I can''t find anything bad about them, which is good, but am looking for more input. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-16-2003

sailmaster25 is on a distinguished road
Hello uriah
MG yachts use to be GM yachts before the messy divorce and company split last year. There yachts are OLD mostly Moodys and Feelings, with a questionable service record, they run very inexpensive rates and are very market competeative.Will discount heavyily to get the business. I guess the saying is you get what you pay for so be careful, they often change yachts on clients at the last minute as they do not own yachts but lease mange yachts from private owners...
Good luck
Old 08-18-2003

Thanks for the info Sailmaster25.
So how old must a yacht be for it to be considered "old". 3 years? 5 years? 7 years? And do you know anything about "Moorings", or "Sunsail"? Thanks.
Old 08-19-2003

Agent_Nina is on a distinguished road
As the official representative of the company MG Yachts Ltd. I would like to report that I am in the Greek yachting field since 25 years. In what concerns my company, and personally myself, I never had any problems from any of my agency’s clients up to this moment. The only responsible Public Organization that can inform you accurately in concern to the Greek charter companies, agents and yacht brokers, is the Precinct of Attika, Department of Tourism ( Greek National Tourism Organization ), address: 98-100 Sigrou Av., Athens Greece, tel.: 0030 210 9287069, 0030 210 9287050, fax: 0030 210 9287055. Our company has a licence from this National Organization with the number: #001. For more information about our company, please feel free to contact the above department.

Mary Gogossis,
General Manager,
MG Yachts Ltd.

Old 08-19-2003

Agent_Nina is on a distinguished road
Old 08-19-2003

mdougan is on a distinguished road
I think you''d be pretty safe going with the Moorings base there. I''ve chartered from their base in the BVI and they are extremely professional and responsive to any problems. They may be more expensive than some smaller charter companies, but they''ve also got an world-wide reputation to maintain.
Old 09-17-2003

My wife and I and two of our friends recently returned from our yacht trip in Greece. In spite of the advice of sailmaster25 we chartered with MG yachts. I can happily report that we had a great experience with them. We chartered the boat for 11 days and left on a Tuesday. As such, they let us take the boat over at 10AM, as opposed to the customary time of 5PM, so we ostensibly got a free day of sailing. We chartered a ''98 Moody 38S that was in very good conditions and kept us feeling secure in spite of the fact we got caught in some pretty nasty weather one morning (15 foot swells, 40-50 mph winds). Also, in spite of the fact that there was some cosmetic damage done to the boat during some heavy weather while we were docked in Milos, we got our entire $1000 deposit back with no questions asked. I must point out that while we did not expect to have to pay for any damage to the boat, one can imagine that a less than reputable company might have tried to charge us. Finally, the skipper we hired was fantastic! His name is Spiros Zalmas. He was very friendly and funny and most importantly he knew the seas and weather patterns like the back of his hand. He works with several Greek charter companies and if you ever require a skipper I highly recommend requesting him.
Old 12-04-2003

sailor880 is on a distinguished road
Just spent two weeks in Greece with Poseidon. Sept 2003
Chartered a 47 Beneteau and joined their flotilla. Steve Parry does a wonderful job. The itinerary was great and the boats were new. We had fourteen individuals in our group split between two boats.In addition there were two lead boats and one other flotilla boat. We are considering a trip to Turkey with them in 2005.
Old 12-04-2003

sailor880 is on a distinguished road
Just spent two weeks in Greece with Poseidon. Sept 2003
Chartered a 47 Beneteau and joined their flotilla. Steve Parry does a wonderful job. The itinerary was great and the boats were new. We had fourteen individuals in our group split between two boats.In addition there were two lead boats and one other flotilla boat. We are considering a trip to Turkey with them in 2005.