SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Chartering (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/chartering/)
-   -   Need ALL HELP with a Charter (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/chartering/61085-need-all-help-charter.html)

Brunet33 01-06-2010 09:23 AM

Need ALL HELP with a Charter

I have never been on a charter before.. I would like to take this trip from april 2-9th... give or take a couple of days....

Who should I contact?

where should I go?

What type of boat? I have 4 people going on this trip...

what else?

I have no idea where to start or who to contact... PLEASE HELP!

imagine2frolic 01-06-2010 09:55 AM

Do you know how to sail? That will be the charter company's first question. If not then you will need a captain.

My suggestion would be the Brittish Virgin Islands for your first time. There's lots to do, it's beautiful weather that time of year, and the wind is not so harsh. Each island varies a bit, so you will see, and do something different each time.

You will need to do your research by googling charter boats to your area. They will give interior layouts of the boats, and pics of the exterior.......i2f

Brunet33 01-06-2010 09:58 AM

I do know how to sail, but still might want some one who knows the area..... Who are the best companies?

imagine2frolic 01-06-2010 10:16 AM

I have only experienced Moorings. They are the most expensive, but they handles issues that came up immediately. Others will come along with advice for others for less cost, but very pleased with the service.......i2f

jackdale 01-06-2010 10:18 AM

I agree with i2f about the ease of sailing in the BVIs. It is all line of sight, with most destinations being within an hour away. You will likely get a chart briefing before they set you loose.

There are several companies operating there:

Moorings
Sunsail
TTM
Conch Charters

Others may add more.

bobbystone 01-06-2010 11:01 AM

Chartering..

I've used CYOA in St. Thomas twice. Both good experiences. Their equipment is not quite as new as moorings, but they are more reasonably priced. VI is a great place to start. Good water depth, line of sight usually reliable and consistent winds and waves lots of places to see.

Tempest 01-06-2010 01:48 PM

Ditto ...the British Virgin Islands and the Moorings...

There are other very good charter companies as well. I have used the moorings and was very happy.

speciald 01-06-2010 02:11 PM

Remember that you will lose a day on the front and back end of the week as travel will eat up the first day, then there is the orientation, then you have to be back early the last day to check in and get to the airport. If you can schedule about ten days to get a good sailing experience. The BVIs are the best choice for a first charter. Go with the primary com[anies even though they are more expensive as the boats are usually newer and better cared for.

aerie 01-06-2010 03:39 PM

Check out TMM in the BVI

I keep my boat with TMM in the BVI and can highly recommend this smaller company where you are not lost in the crowd. They do a thorough chart briefing and send a staff member out with you for a short checkout sail. If you want, a captain is available. Sorry, you can't charter my boat, which would be perfect for your group of four, because I'll be aboard that week.

You might want to check out the possibility of a flotilla sail. I know Sunsail does these as I try to avoid whatever anchorage they happen to be in each night.

The BVI are a great place for new charterers. You'll have a memorable vacation.

AKscooter 01-06-2010 04:44 PM

I rented a 47 foot cat from conch charters.....very inexpensive and straight forward folks. Also I hired a captain....Woody, from the lats and atts magazine. Great experience, lots of free drinks....Woody has connections and the cheapest of all the charters. some of their boats were old Mooring boats. The condition was not pristine as new but it was in better shape than most of the boats I have seen pictured here. A more than enjoyable experience. Why pay rapacious prices if you do not have to?????