Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Chartering
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2010

mooregm5 is on a distinguished road
Where to honeymoon?

Hello,

I need some help. My fiance and I will be getting married in September and my job is to plan the Honeymoon. Normally our type of vacation would include boating in upstate NY, kayaking, hiking, mountains, etc., but she requested that we go somewhere "warm and with a beach" to relax. We are not the tourist type and enjoyed a month long trip on the Erie Canal, Champlain Canal and Lake Champlain--not exactly touristy.

Hawaii's less touristy islands sound ideal because of the diversity of activities, but its a long trek from Upstate NY for a 7 day trip (Sunday to Sunday).

Is there a place that you would recommend in the Caribbean/bahamas/?? area that has more than a beach, but is not a tourist trap? The reason I am asking on sailnet is that I would like to rent a boat and do a little sailing for 3-4 days. Ideally we could sail to a secluded bay, anchor and explore the shore, read, etc., just as we do on our own boat.

My original idea was to charter a bare bones boat for the entire trip (perhaps not the first/last days), but what about huricane season (Sept. 19-26th)?

Thanks,
Greg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-23-2010

Allanbc is on a distinguished road
It is a long flight but Hawaii sure is nice. I used to live on the Big Island and I would recommend it. Where else can you spend the morning on the beach and go to the top of a nearly 14,000 foot volcano for sunset?

Difference between a power boater and a sailor out on the water: A power boater is going some place special, a sailor is already there.

s/v Zotz 1981 Pearson 365 Ketch Hull #375
Old 06-24-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd recommend not going to the Caribbean...Greece would be a better choice, as would Hawaii. Both will have areas that fit your requirements.

Congratulations btw.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-24-2010

I was afraid you were going to say this. I guess we just may have to waste a day to flying. The shortest flights to Hawaii are in excess of 12 hours and during daylight hours on the way out.

I think we just might need to do it regardless. So much for a 7 Day trip, now we are down to about 5 usable days after you consider getting there early everything else. I'm sure we'll make the best of it. Thanks again.

Anyone know a a place to rent a boat (day or overnight) to do a little exploring in Hawaii?

Old 06-24-2010

Tempest is on a distinguished road
A few ideas:

September is a Perfect time of year to go to Napa Valley California.

If you like the country, I would try St Helena or Calistoga. Lots of great food, wine, hiking, biking, nearby Redwood Trees, etc etc. If that thought appeals to you I can make further recs.

Another thought closer to home...would be Cape Cod. It's quiet that time of year the water may still be warm, and you can have the beaches to yourself.
Wellfleet is my favorite town on the Cape. Great little harbor.
Old 06-24-2010
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Back to the Caribbean, the island "Carriacou" may suit you... deserted beaches involving a bit of a hike, certainly the possiblity of a non-mainstream-charter type of rental. Not a cruise ship destination and so we quite liked it. Do a little googling..... (generally south of the Hurricane belt too!)

A wee taste:

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Last edited by Faster; 06-24-2010 at 07:35 PM.
Old 06-24-2010

Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL currently CLODs [cruisers living on dirt]
svsirius is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooregm5 View Post
Hello,

I need some help. My fiance and I will be getting married in September and my job is to plan the Honeymoon. Normally our type of vacation would include boating in upstate NY, kayaking, hiking, mountains, etc., but she requested that we go somewhere "warm and with a beach" to relax. We are not the tourist type and enjoyed a month long trip on the Erie Canal, Champlain Canal and Lake Champlain--not exactly touristy.

Hawaii's less touristy islands sound ideal because of the diversity of activities, but its a long trek from Upstate NY for a 7 day trip (Sunday to Sunday).

Is there a place that you would recommend in the Caribbean/bahamas/?? area that has more than a beach, but is not a tourist trap? The reason I am asking on sailnet is that I would like to rent a boat and do a little sailing for 3-4 days. Ideally we could sail to a secluded bay, anchor and explore the shore, read, etc., just as we do on our own boat.

My original idea was to charter a bare bones boat for the entire trip (perhaps not the first/last days), but what about huricane season (Sept. 19-26th)?

Thanks,
Greg
Given that you are only taking a week I would not loose 2 days flying. From the east coast doing either Hawaii or Europe really need 10 day+ trips. I would look at the Bahamas/Caribbean. However you do have a risk with 'canes' the season is starting to wind down at that point but big ones happen in Sept. I would definitely sign up for travel insurance and you have lots of choices depending on your price point. One thing to look at is the Bitter End Yacht Club if you want to combine beach with activities. Other choices abound. If you want to be really lazy you could even do a cruise...
Old 06-25-2010

Wow...thanks for your help.

I never even thought of California, but that may be the best...A day or two at a southern beach, then drive north hitting a place or two every day until the San Fransisco Area. This would mostly be be away from the water, but I'm sure she would have enough after two days sitting at the beach. We are not the "sit-still" kind of people--kind of like why we like boating, a different place each night.

Thanks for the thought on the southern Caribbean, my parents love Aruba and gave the same suggestion because it is so far south. I think this is starting to narrow the trip down. Either California (more like our usual trips) or Southern Caribbean (more once in a lifetime for us). Either way, we should get 7+ full days in which really trumps Hawaii or Europe.

Thanks again!

Old 06-25-2010
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooregm5 View Post
Wow...thanks for your help.

Thanks for the thought on the southern Caribbean, my parents love Aruba and gave the same suggestion because it is so far south.
Just to be clear... Carriacou is NOT Curasou, not part of the "ABCs"

Carriacou is the island immediately north of Grenada, a lovely quiet spot away from the Cruise crowd. - Still generally south of the Hurricanes for the most part.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 06-25-2010

Tempest is on a distinguished road
Mooregm5,

If you're thinking of California, and can work the flights affordably, I'd rent a car ( convertables are fun) in SF...head to Napa Valley for a day or two, then work your way down the coast....Monterey, Big Sur, Huntington Beach?...then fly home from Anaheim......I've done this trip in 7 days and didn't feel rushed. Get an early flight out and a late flight back...

Congratulations BTW.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.