Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Chartering
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2010

Ulladh is on a distinguished road
Check with the airline you are using they may have a link to travel insurance for your entire vacation if the flight is canceled, due to a named storm.
Old 07-28-2010
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Gentlemen, I will do the insurance thing as long as not exceed 10% of the cost.

I still try to sort out if I should use BVI or Moorings. Moorings seems have more boats to choose from. BVI has only 41 footer or above to choose from. Only three of us, so not sure if I want a bigger boat. I thing 35 to 37 is good enough for us.

BTW, we will fly into USVI and take a ferry to BVI. It seems much cheaper than to BVI. Any thoughts?

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-28-2010

Ulladh is on a distinguished road
This past April, used American Airlines Philadelphia to Puerto Rico then American Eagle to BVI, checked luggage straight through. Charter company sent a taxi to pick us up at the airport, $10 each for the taxi.

Travel insurance covered the usual things that can go wrong, getting sick, having things stolen,... cancelation of the flight or charter, hotel,... $60 per person.

Rare to have named storms in April, probably has never happened, August is likely, but Both the AA and the charter company have a full refund policy for named storms.
Old 07-28-2010

dugsmith98 is on a distinguished road
I recently did a charter with Moorings and was fairly pleased with the service, but the boat was a bit beat up.
As for the flight, if you can afford the difference in price, fly into Beef Island and it will save you tremendous time. By the time you do the ferries, and cabs to and from the dock, you almost cover the price difference in airport destinations. It will save you half a day each end of your trip.
Old 07-30-2010
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

What is the size of the boat and her name? I am leaning toward Moorings since they have more choices.

I will do the math between Beef Island and St Thomas when I compare the final cost. I don't mind the ferries, since it is just a part of sightseeing tour and get my orientation. Thanks.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 07-30-2010

dugsmith98 is on a distinguished road
We chartered the Texsun, catamaran, 40 foot. Small things like no anchor light, broken fan covers, steering cable jumped its track and we lost steering in an anchorage. Mostly easy stuff to fix, but I work on my own boat and didn't feel like working on theirs. The service guy came and fixed the steering cable within a few hours. Very good that way.
Old 07-30-2010
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

Thanks.

Haha, I have never sailed a Cat, except Hobie 16. So I will stick with what I know, ie. monohull for now . A cat would be fun, but much more money. may be next time.

Fine Print:
Old 08-28-2010

jelman is on a distinguished road
rolling the dice

We were in the BVI from 12-22 July. Although this is generally early in the season, this season has been pretty active. The weather during the time we were there was quite unsettled, with daily squalls and choppy seas. There was some sun each day, but it was not ideal sailing. The second to last day we ran into the beginnings of TS Bonnie, with 40-50kt winds, intense rain, high seas, and lightening strikes. Our motor went out (sediment in the tank got into the fuel lines, we figured out later) and with a rip in the main it was difficult keeping control of the boat. Not fun, though overall the trip was still pretty nice. It was not at all crowded, which was great.

The week before and week after, the weather was considerably better. So the lesson is it's a crap shoot.

April-May is the shoulder season where it's still pretty dry, prices are down, and the weather is a bit better. That's probably a better time to go.
Old 08-28-2010
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
Spirit Airline, Fort Lauderdale to USVI is pretty cheap but I agree that flying direct to Beef is much easier if pricy.

If you can arrange to pick up the boat in Trellis bay you can walk to the boat in 5 minutes from Beef airport.
Old 08-28-2010

sck5 is on a distinguished road
on trip insurance - i took some from barefoot yacht charters in the Grenadines and had to use it due to medical problems. I called them to find out how to deal with it and they only asked one question "Would you like your refund in a check or returned to your credit card?"

They won my love forever more with that. I believe they are partners with bvi yacht charters in tortola. i would not hesitate to deal directly with them.