Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Chartering
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2010

bareboatingtheworld is on a distinguished road
Chartering in Europe: Why no Grills?

I've bareboat chartered in Europe with European friends for over 10 years and have yet to come across a charter that provides a marine BBQ grill like just about everywhere else in the world. We've always brought our own BBQ grill which has made some wonderful meals over the years.

It there a law that prevents grilling off a boat? ... is it because of the density of anchorages in the summer? ... or is a cultural thing? ... maybe it's to keep the restaurant owners happy?

Does anyone know of a charter company that does offer marine bbq's in the Med?

Gaetano Squicciarini
BareboatingtheWorld
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-04-2010
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
I think the need for the males to burn meat in the open air wjhile wearing a tasteless pinny is a peculiarly American thing.

In some places in and around the US I have been driven to move anchorages by the overpowering waves of barbecue starter fumes emmitting from [usually charter] boats.
Old 08-06-2010

solman55 is on a distinguished road
It depends on what you want to do, Im not sure why they don't, perhaps they dont want their boats to catch fire but thats the only thing I can think of.
Old 08-06-2010
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Given the abundance of good, inexpensive, restaurants and cafe's and the wonderful foods and wines I suspect the logic might be "Why would anyone want to waste time with a grill?", no?
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 08-06-2010

CapTim is on a distinguished road
It's probably just because I'm a tasteless, ignorant, fume-spouting idiot american, but a good grill is never a waste of time :P

And a lot of those water-front restaurants are both snobbish and overpriced.. give me a few good friends and some fresh food cooked on the open water any day.

Living aboard, currently in the Chesapeake
O'Day 37, still new to us
Old 08-06-2010

remetau is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapTim View Post
It's probably just because I'm a tasteless, ignorant, fume-spouting idiot american, but a good grill is never a waste of time :P

And a lot of those water-front restaurants are both snobbish and overpriced.. give me a few good friends and some fresh food cooked on the open water any day.
+1 on that. I love cooking some fresh caught local fish or lobster on our grill for friends.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-06-2010

bareboatingtheworld is on a distinguished road
Bareboat chartering the Med with my Italian friends we've always brought their marine grill, his California born wife insisted he buy it and cook everything but pasta on it. Something about keeping the oven off below during hot summer charters and saving water by reducing the number of greasy pans to clean.

Personally, I agree with CapTim and Remetau, good friends and grilled food go great together. Plus, my Italian buddy is a master Octupus hunter. Nothing like polippo on the grill.

There is a difference regarding charcoal and fire starter in Europe. I haven't ever come across american style compressed charcoal, bags usually contain pieces of burned wood which burn very quickly so often just a small starter cube does the job. Much less "toxic" than our starter fluid. That being said, my Italian buddy absolutely loved using the starter fluid when he chartered in Baja. Couldn't believe it could be so easy to start a fire.

Gaetano
www. bareboatingtheworld.com
Old 08-07-2010
Puget Sound Pounder

kellysails is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TQA View Post
I think the need for the males to burn meat in the open air wjhile wearing a tasteless pinny is a peculiarly American thing.
Hey there, I resemble that remark, yes I do like to BBQ (grill) but I never wear a "tasteless pinny" (had to research that a bit) while doing it. My wife burned all my "pinny" the day after we were married.

During our charter trips to Croatia and Greece (Cyclades) we did not see a single BBQ in use. I've come to the conclusion that due to the prevalence med moor and rafting X deep off of docks it is probably a good idea that charter companies don't supply "grills".

And yes, BBQ is an important American cultural "thing" as we thoroughly enjoy the act of group cooking off the stern of a sailboat or anywhere for that matter. Although we find little hardship in giving up the "grill" for experiencing the beauty of the Med. The food provided in the Tavernas is usually of the best quality and is inexpensive. In the BVI the food is VERY expensive and is hit or miss on quality, BBQ'ing is the best option there.

-craig "kellysails@gmail.com"

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.