Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Chartering
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2010
kingcan

kingcan is on a distinguished road
Cuba?

Hi All,

We have to be at a wedding in Havana in February 2010. We're considering a bareboat charter for a week or two in the Caribbean to attend the wedding, then do a little cruising. A few questions:

- Does anyone know if there are restrictions for US-chartered vessels (i.e., chartered out of Miami or USVI) entering Cuba? The embargo doesn't exist for Canadians (eh), and I've not found "yah or nay" info online anywhere.

- If we decide to do this, any recommendations for where in the Caribbean we should start (i.e., ease of access to Cuba and rest of Caribbean and #/availability of charter operations)?

- Any recommendations for charter co's you'd like to pass along based on positive experience?

- Finally (whew), any "watch-outs" for cruising to Cuba? (The wedding - and we - would be at the Hemmingway Yacht Club.)

Thanks for any and all info!
F

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Noah's Ark: Grampian 2-34. Hull #11.
Great Lakes, ON, Canada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-01-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
AFAIK, you won't be able to take boats based in the US or US terrirtories to CUBA... regardless of your citizenship.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-01-2010

sailor50 is on a distinguished road
If you need to be in Cuba by Feb 2010, you literally missed the boat dude!
Old 09-01-2010

bogdog is on a distinguished road
wish we were going with you (stupid politicians anyway) >
Old 09-01-2010
kingcan

kingcan is on a distinguished road
as sailor50 kindly pointed out, it should read Feb 2011 above. thnx
Old 09-01-2010

Starlyte is on a distinguished road
I spent 2 x'mas's in Gitmo.....I love Cuba.
As a pleasure boater, or going on another boat, I wouldn't do it.
Old 09-02-2010
Picnic Sailor

chall03 will become famous soon enough
hmm I terms of cruising in Cuba, check out the following article written by an aussie couple who recently cruised there, they identify clearly some of the issues you might face.

My Sailing: The land of cigars, rum & Castro

I have always had a thing for Cuba, I do like the idea of cruising in the country, but maybe not the easiest of cruising grounds.

Old 09-02-2010

Starlyte is on a distinguished road
Personally, I would fly in and out. Out as in a hurry. I would also travel with the minimum.
Old 09-02-2010

QuickMick is on a distinguished road
An old colleuge of mine went there, via the Canada route you mentioned above. IIRC when he got to Cuba they didnt actually stamp his passport, but gave him some paper receipt that way it wouldnt raise eyebrows when he headed back into the states w/his passport. He loved it, and no issues returning via the northern tundra as well.
oh, you know why the Canadians do it Do&&ie style? So they can both watch the hockey game.... har t har

have a great trip, good luck

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture
Old 09-02-2010

Gary M is on a distinguished road
Cuba is not really close to other islands and if you want to make the wedding on time I would suggest a plane. Havana is a very nice city to visit but there would really be no suitable cruising grounds any where near it. The north shore in general would not be great. You would have to go down near Cayo coca to find some islands.

The south shore would be better I believe but personally have only been to the Bay of Pigs.

There is no embargo per-say but the US government forbids Americans from having financial dealings with anyone in Cuba without advance permission.

There are many Americans who travel there through Canada and Mexico. They do not stamp passports of anyone and I assume that is why.

On the other hand the Cuban Navy and police are not always friendly. About 3 years ago 4 Canadians were delivering a boat across the north of Cuba. They did not plan to stop there but bad weather forced them aground on Cayo Coco. The police threw them in jail for several days the Canadian Consulate got them out and back home. If we were not such a valuable source of tourist dollars that might not have turned out so well.

If you want any more info pm me and we can talk. I see the bridge at LTC in your photo.

Enjoy Havana.

Last edited by Gary M; 09-02-2010 at 07:22 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.