Join Date: May 2009
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
rawick, I am also planning a charter for the Greek Islands in June (June 3-10). I wonder if you might have any suggestions for me.
- I am an experienced sailor but have never been to Greece.
It is a very nice place to sail. I am sure you will love it.
- Bareboat charter -- 8 on board but only one other experienced sailor.
According to the laws there must be two persons with licenses, OR one person with license and one to sign a declaration, that he is experienced and can be a co-skipper. Not all charter companies use the second way, though.
- I don't want to present my "crew" with conditions that are too challenging. I have sailed with all of them on the Chesapeake but most of those were day sails.
I will advice itinerary like Athens-Sounio-Kia and Syfnos (if you wat a little from Cyclades, but just if the weather allows), Hydra, Poros, Epidauros and when you find time Aegina. Look on the map of these places and change the itinerary at your own. Just have in mind that the calm weather is north from the line Sounio-Hydra. Here you can make a very nice trip with a lot of places to swim, moor and anchor, nice small towns to visit, some beaches, some POI, etc.
- The other sailor on board is of Greek heritage and has been to many of the islands, but it was long ago and he wasn't sailing. He is suggesting the Cyclades. Would you recommend this area, too, and if so can you or anyone else recommend one or more good charter companies to work with?
Do NOT go to Cyclades if your crew does not want challenges. It is a matter of luck, but last time I was there with clients, they delayed a trip by 8 hours, and after that we were stuck in Syros for 3 days - it was 8B ....
Me, personally, I work mainly with cheap companies, I mean they give lower prices, but not all of their boat are in good conditions. I do not want to mention companies here, as I work with multiple ones, so if you want me to help you here, please contact me on my email (email@example.com) or with PM here.
- Is a charge for cleaning the boat standard? How about for towels and linens?
Almost all companies charge 80-110 EURO for 4-cabbin yacht. Some say this is for cleaning, some claim it is for linen and towels, but it is one and the same and it should be only once, appx. the sum I mentioned.
Thank you for any help you might be able to provide.
I hope this will help you.
If you have any other questions - you're welcome !