Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Chartering
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2010

AV8RSailor is on a distinguished road
We used BVI Yacht Charters last March. Great boat (Lagoon 41), Great service. Stay on the boat the night before you leave on your charter. That gives you a chance to get familiar with the boat and figure out what does and doesn't work before you head over the horizon.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-13-2010

mike6969 is on a distinguished road
I have been chartering in the BVI for about 10 years and have used three different companies. I would stay as far away from TMM as you can. We chartered a 52' Beneteau from them a couple of years ago and it was infrested with rats. We had them scurrying around at night and eating food on board. We contacted them the second night and they did nothing about it. We ended up putting traps and poison on the boat and rid ourselves of the 5 rats over 4 days. Needless to say the trip was horrible. Upon return TMM would do nothing to compensate us.

We are now using Horizon Yacht Charters and they are fabulous. The boats have been fabulous, the personell extremely pleasant and the prices are quite competative. We are renting a beautiful 54'Jeanneau this March and have no doubt that the service will be stellar.

PS. We also used BVI Yacht Charters and they were ok... boats were a bit ragged out but the service was good.
Old 11-13-2010

mike6969 is on a distinguished road
Stay Away FroM TMM

I have been chartering in the BVI for about 10 years and have used three different companies. I would stay as far away from TMM as you can. We chartered a 52' Beneteau from them a couple of years ago and it was infrested with rats. We had them scurrying around at night and eating food on board. We contacted them the second night and they did nothing about it. We ended up putting traps and poison on the boat and rid ourselves of the 5 rats over 4 days. Needless to say the trip was horrible. Upon return TMM would do nothing to compensate us.

We are now using Horizon Yacht Charters and they are fabulous. The boats have been fabulous, the personell extremely pleasant and the prices are quite competative. We are renting a beautiful 54'Jeanneau this March and have no doubt that the service will be stellar.

PS. We also used BVI Yacht Charters and they were ok... boats were a bit ragged out but the service was good.
Old 11-16-2010
Yamsailor

Yamsailor is on a distinguished road
I have done and continue to do some significant chartering. I personally would not go with Footloose because the boats are pretty beat up.

Sunsail or Moorings both have very good fleets. Either exclusive or club lines work well. I am going again to the BVIs with Moorings this winter. I chartered the Moorings 54.5 Exclusive.

FYI--All three charter companies are owned by the same parent company--TUI Marine.

Enjoy!
Old 11-16-2010

familyofun is on a distinguished road
Wink Don't take a chance with your vacation

Hi Kootenay,
We are in planning mode ourselves...trying to souse out a "good" company that cares about their customers. In reading your post, you comment that information on these sites usually have to do with specific "Beefs", however, keep in mind that where there is smoke there is fire... Highly reputable companies would not allow you to have a ruined vacation because of missing or damaged equipment, rats, bedbugs, dirty boats, etc. so my one word of advice would be to "determine to deal with a spotless company!!!" We work too hard for our vacations (at least I do) and it is really heartbreaking to have your week(s) ruined by unscrupulous management companies. Splurge on a good company or a private arrangement!!!!
Old 12-18-2010

sailtimeci is on a distinguished road
Second that emotion on TTOL. Every bit as great a group as this!Traveltalkonline: Viewing forum: British Virgin Islands
Old 12-19-2010
Yamsailor

ll tell you. With the cold weather here in the North East, I am looking forward to my charter next month.
Old 12-22-2010

sprtn94 is on a distinguished road
Here's the thing, every charter company has its limitations. Go into your charter with the right mentality and you'll be fine. Understand that your vacation does not begin upon landing at the airport, in fact your job is just starting. Roll your sleeves up and do your homework before leaving the dock. Double, triple check everything, do not assume that the charter boat is in perfect working order, it probably isn't.
Old 12-22-2010
Yamsailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtn94 View Post
Here's the thing, every charter company has its limitations. Go into your charter with the right mentality and you'll be fine. Understand that your vacation does not begin upon landing at the airport, in fact your job is just starting. Roll your sleeves up and do your homework before leaving the dock. Double, triple check everything, do not assume that the charter boat is in perfect working order, it probably isn't.

Do not underestimate the wisdom of Sprtn94. CHECK EVERYTHING!!!!
Old 12-22-2010

jackdale will become famous soon enough
Any credible charter company will have a thorough check out of the boat during which they should show you how all the systems work. That is a good time to make sure they do work.

Take a Safe Boating with you as a good checklist.

Do not be afraid to ask them to fix issues. As an example, I have asked a couple of companies to put wire on the anchor shackles. At the beginning of the year, it is not uncommon to find expired flares.

Have a painkiller or two for me.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)