Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Chartering
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2001

NSethia is on a distinguished road
The Grenadines

Don''t want this to become a slanging match, but if negative points are made about a charter company, we feel that we should have the right to defend ourselves.

As a part-owner of Barefoot, I have to say that it is blatantly false to say that the owners of this company hid from this client, or that we "couldn''t even give them a lift to a Motel". On the contrary, the owners'' office at Barefoot is manned 7 days a week from 0800 to 1800 and, unlike many charter companies, our owners are here on site and always willing to talk with clients or even to give them a lift to nearby hotels.

This yacht suffered from a failed through-hull fitting, which is something that can happen on any yacht. We did not show "no interest" in helping the clients - rather, we did everything humanly possible to assist, including summoning mechanics in Union Island, but eventually we realised that the problem could not be rectified without hauling the yacht out of the water.

Prior and subsequent clients on this same yacht have given us glowing reports.

What is not mentioned here is that the client managed to break a mainsheet traveller that was only 18 months old. He was not billed for it.

What is also not mentioned is that a quick spray with WD 40 immediately rectified the so-called "problem" with the anchor windlass. There is nothing wrong with this yacht''s anchor windlass.

In our view, challenging sailing conditions aggravated this situation.

The "15 to 20 foot seas" that are mentioned were actually 6 to 8 foot seas - that really speaks for itself, doesn''t it?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-16-2001

h20nut is on a distinguished road
The Grenadines

Mattf,
I''d sure like to hear your impressions of the jeanneau 52. I''ve sailed the 45.2SO and they are great fun. I''ve been told if you like the 45.2 you''ll love the 52.Have fun, please advise.
Waternut~~~~~~~~~~
Old 05-16-2001

h20nut is on a distinguished road
The Grenadines

Mattf,
I''d sure like to hear your impressions of the jeanneau 52. I''ve sailed the 45.2SO and they are great fun. I''ve been told if you like the 45.2 you''ll love the 52.Have fun, please advise.
Waternut~~~~~~~~~~
Old 05-22-2001

mattf is on a distinguished road
The Grenadines

Back from the Grenadines, great trip. Loved Bequia, Mayreau, and Mustique in that order. All other places were a close second. The Jenneau Sun Odyssey 52 was grand. Came over from France 6 weeks prior, we were the third charter ever. Slick rig, fast, solid. 4 cabins 4 heads plus crew quarters was overkill. I would have liked 4 cabins/2 heads. Still, everything worked perfectly, not a nick in the cabin. Intelligently arranged running rigging. Self furling main did not even have a wrinkle in it. Great Vessel for what we used her for. One complaint, my thumb hurt from pushing the windlass remote control. (put out 125'' of chain in about 1 minute. Same time to take in. I managed....
Old 05-23-2001

marram is on a distinguished road
The Grenadines

In defense of Barefoot, in August 2000 I helped a friend take his Dean 400 cat out of their management and down to Trini for refitting before he set off on a world circum with his wife and kids. I thought they were fair about settling up and getting the boat ready for us to sail away. As I recall, he was happy too. The owners and staff were accessible to him at all times and we sailed with no problems or systems failures.

--Mike
Old 07-11-2001

carisea is on a distinguished road
The Grenadines

We spent 10 days in Tonga last May. While the islands do not have the beauty of mountains rising from the sea, it does offer over 100 small islands to explore. The people are warm and generous and their singing voices must be heard. Provisioning was more than adequate near the Moorings base. The sailing was in protected waters and the open side of the island views of the Pacific were breathtaking. Snorkeling was so-so but the royal blue starfish were a sight to see.
Old 07-13-2001

johnj is on a distinguished road
The Grenadines

Tim, Much better to sail from St. Lucia to Grenada. It will be mostly a beam/broad reach and the westerly current which can be rather strong (3-4 knots) will be less of a problem. Send me an email if you have any other questions. I''d be happy to answer (johnjimmyer@att.com).

John
Old 08-06-2001

pheenix is on a distinguished road
The Grenadines

I am bareboating the Grenadines in November any advice on what not to do is appreciated.

I am putting together a web site for bareboat adventures. If you have a site for your adventure please contact me so that I can link it. If you do not have a site I am willing to publish it for you as long as you have text and pictures to use. This is a free service.