Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Chartering
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2010

rawick is on a distinguished road
Croatia

Hello guys and girls,

we (a company of friends) plan to have a one week sailing vacation in the beginning of the summer 2011 in Croatia.
We are from Bulgaria and have never been to Croatia. Although last three years we had a lot of sailing in Greece, and we decided to try a new destination

My questions are:

1. We want a relaxed itinerary with not much sailing per day (5-6 hours appx). a lot of places to visit and to stop, not only anchoring, mooring most of the time. It will be great if the itinerary is similar to Saronic gulf in Greeece. We have not decided the starting point, but it has to be the same as the end point - no ""one-way", preferrably accessable by plane/airport.

2. Can you recommend us a site for itineraries, i mean with explanations of POI, places to visit, marinas etc. It will be great if we are informed for the climate beforehead and specific characteristics (ex. Meltemi in Greece).

3. All other advices are welcome

Thanks in advance!

Aleks
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-23-2010

TejasSailer is on a distinguished road
Aleks

Companies that charter and also offer flotillas show itineraries. Just try +croatia +flotilla in google.

A useful book is the "Adriatic Pilot" available from Imray.
Old 11-23-2010

PCP will become famous soon enough
In the summer you will have not problems with too strong wind (over force7) and more probably you will have weak to medium winds. normally the wind rises in the afternoon and dies at night. Just perfect

The number of shelters is so high (between the Islands) that only a very bad sailor can have any problem.

I have been there on the last summer, first touring by car ant then by boat (2 weeks). There are so many Islands (+2000), so many nice places that you would take several years to explore half of it

I have charted with Ban-Tours and I have only good things to say about them.

As TejasSailer said charter companies provide you with information and itineraries, that you can follow, or not.

On the Ban Tours site they suggest some itineraries. the information that they will provide you of those itineraries is much bigger than the one they have on the net (PDF with photos and descriptions).

Here you have a basic view (the ones to the South ones are more interesting):

Routes

Ban-Tours yachting

Regards

Paulo
Old 11-24-2010

TejasSailer is on a distinguished road
Alexs,

Here is a two-week itinerary that might meet your criteria that we followed in 2006 on a flotilla with a UK company that no longer operates in Croatia (transliteration spelling seems quite variable):

Tucepi -> Loviste -> Lumbarda -> Okukije -> Dubrovnik (ACI Marina, stayed here one day) -> Sipansa -> Polace -> Korcula -> Trpanj -> Sucuraj -> Tycepi
Old 11-24-2010

acunningham is on a distinguished road
If time allows, I'd suggest spending at least a day in Kotor bay in Montenegro. It's absolutely spectacular!
Old 11-29-2010

rawick is on a distinguished road
Thanks to all !

We will not join flotilla sailing, don't think it will be fun, though I admit, none of us have ever tried.

Yes, I have looked at all the itineraries of charter companies, i have found. There are thousands of them. This is why I am asking here, because, we know, their point of view often differs from ours

I will look these to companies now.

If there are some other suggestions - more than welcome.

Aleks

Last edited by rawick; 11-29-2010 at 11:34 AM.
Old 11-29-2010

PCP will become famous soon enough
I have posted about what you have asked. I have chosen the charter company for the boat and for the location, not by the itineraries.

I did not follow any of their itineraries. I have bought pilot books I have studied them at home and I made my own itinerary and it was not a fixed one (depending on the wind). There are so many beautiful places, nice historic towns and charming little island towns that you cannot enjoy 1/4 of them in 15 days. I have sailed a lot more than what is purposed on the itineraries.

Regards

Paulo
Old 11-29-2010

jackdale will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawick View Post

We will not join flotilla sailing, don't think it will be fun, though I admit, none of us have ever tried.

Aleks
I have been in three flotillas, all in Turkey in the mid 80's

Flotilla sailing is great fun, especially of you are an area new to you.

You are not following the lead boat around like ducklings.

Every few days you get together for a party. On those days you get a chart briefing from the skipper and the hostess can tell us you where to shop, provision, eat, etc.. She can also arrange for amenities like car rentals. The fleet bosun is available for repairs. They also organized a race for the flotilla.

When you pull into a bay / marina you can visit with the crews of other boats from the flotilla who may be there as well.

My early flotilla sailing did a lot to boost my confidence and competence.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 11-30-2010

bareboatingtheworld is on a distinguished road
Aleks,
I've been to Croatia with Italian friends 4 times over the last 8 years. These trips are summarized on my charter bareboat sailing blog.

Most recently we did a 1 week trip out of Kremik Marina near Primosten. From there, the Kornati and Telascica Marine National Parks are an easy 1 week sail. Better yet would be leaving from Split (or Trogir) and heading south to Korcula town passing the Islands of Brac, Hvar, and possibly Vis. There's a mix of anchorages and moorings with Korcula and Trogir being my favorite stops. Either starting point is easily accessible from the Split Airport.

My blog has a ton of detail for each of my 4 itineraries including trips logs, photos, and commented maps. Also, there are articles that summarize our insights of these areas into 4 categories: before departing, provisioning, living onboard, and sailing stuff.

The only thing I don't have detail on are moorings/marinas as we tend to focus on anchoring, but, every major town on the islands have a number of facilities.

Regarding conditions, we've never encountered the bora as it's called in Croatia during July or August. It's nothing like the meltemi I remember in the Sporades in Greece. But, there is always the possibility of severe thundershowers which we have encountered rendering some anchorages untenable.

Good luck with the planning and enjoy your bareboat charter.

Gaetano
Bareboating the World
Old 03-16-2011

maxivalt is on a distinguished road
Croatia

Hi Alex
Route Split or Trogir(town near Split airport) - Dubrovnik visiting islands Brac, Hvar, Korcula, Mljet, Elaphite islands....will be the best solution (my opinion)
I'm croatian...so if you need any other information..you'r welcome