Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Chartering
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2010

NeverLift is on a distinguished road
Greek Isles: Ocean Nomads?

Their web site is ocean-nomads.com. I've just received a very attractive offer for a fully crewed holiday in the Greek Isles, for two of us. Long, personal letter. The owner and his wife would crew, but on boats from (I presume) other boat owners, in a variety of locations in Greece.

I've not sailed on a chartered boat before, just friends and acquaintences, so I don't know how to evaluate this organization, can find no online reviews or experiences. That they use a variety of boats from multiple sources gives me pause; could they really know the condition and quality of all? Or am I being overly cautious. I've seen the posted experiences of others through brokers -- particularly GPSC -- but since I'm told that the owner, Walter, and his wife Alexandra would be crewing themselves, they wouldn't put up with a tub. They've offered, specifically, a Hanse 400.

Opinions, anyone?

Thanks,

Gary

PS: "NeverLift" is an auto racing term, nothing to do with how I sail!

Last edited by NeverLift; 12-14-2010 at 02:45 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-17-2010

Aussie1 is on a distinguished road
I know these 2, they work for Ocean Yachts as independent/freelance skipper/hostess.... I hardly think they own anything other than thier sea bag. I guess from thier web site they are reaching out to start thier own business..Not sure that hiring a bareboat and then calling it your own and skippering it is a good business though.... is'nt that the same as bareboat +rent a skipper?
too many questions about liability and taxes and insrance spring to mind... why not go with a regular broker and use there captain ?
try Kiralcoulis,Athenian,chandler yachts,vernicos many to pick from
Old 12-17-2010

NeverLift is on a distinguished road
Ausse1,

Thanks for your input. I am looking into the firms you suggest. The Kiriacoulis web site makes no mention of a crew being available from them, and I wouldn't want to be in the crossfire if the crew were my responsibility -- e.g., the skipper beached the boat, etc. Found the Athenian, but their price list, a .pdf, won't download.

I was already in communication with Chandler, continuing to do so, but Global Merchant has posted a note that they've stopped working them over an issue of "quality", undefined. Appears they don't own the smaller boats, web info speaks to 8 50'+ boats, may just be booking agents for the smaller, and that really gets me worried.

BTW: I think Ocean Nomad owns more than their sea bags. I found on the web where they were in the process of registering the boat they offered, a Hanse 400, with the regulatory authorities in Greece in 2009, apparently as its owners, sailing with the owner in command of the boat seems a good idea, I'm not caught in the middle of a problem. I'm surprised that, knowing them, you didn't know that. They may also do some work for others, not my concern.

Their brochure refers to other people by name, photo, and bio that they can offer as skipper and crew.

Last edited by NeverLift; 12-17-2010 at 03:11 PM.
Old 12-21-2010

chrondi is an unknown quantity at this point
Aussie 1's point makes sense i.e. all major Greek charter companies have skippers whom they trust and cooperate with.
Through an exchange of personal emails I know that Sailnet community member NBruce (his name is Nathan) has booked a skippered boat charter for next summer in the Greek Isles, so I suggest you ask details by sending to him a personal email message. I assure you that his arrangement was a deal!
Old 04-11-2011

Andreas68 is on a distinguished road
Very interesting post. 1st : yes, correct most charter companies in Greece have skippers they trust. Even Kyriakoulis has. The point is not to have "A" skipper, the point is to have an experienced skipper who can take you to places of interest. And here the problem starts. I would prefer to take a "foreign" skipper (there are some norwegian guys around)... instead of a greek skipper (these guys are sometimeks really boring)... also: Language issues: A skipper should be able to speak your language!
2nd. there should be no issues as long as the boat is chartered with all lawful formalities as any charter company in Greece is obliged to do.
3rd) Many boat owners have their own business AND yacht. We for example do this business for several years (successfully I'd say), however with a bit of searching you will find many such "smaller" companies with much better boats than you can charter from the larger companies...

For any further question... feel free to ask. I know most of the guys around Kalamaki Marina in person...

Andreas
Old 04-12-2011

chrondi is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
We for example do this business for several years
Who is "we". Do you represent any business without clearly stating that?
Old 04-12-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Andreas,
I take your line "We for example do this business for several years" as meaning you were once in the charter busines but no longer. If in fact you still actively charter you do need to state this in your signature as per SailNet terms and conditions.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 04-14-2011

OK..... guys I am really sorry. I thought I had set up the signature line (but did not check it after!)
Also I would not like to write as an owner ... but as I believe giving tips independently is a much better way of getting more people to sail!
For the record. I am in the business for many years, offering quality services in the luxury class. I do not want to drive people to my company... there are search engines out there where you will be able to find all kind of services around yachting in greece or the world.
IF one wants to find a company which does chartering they can use a search engine.
As referring to the forum rules: We could mean A) me and my wife, B) me and a friend of mine, C) what ever you may like.
I do not want to advertise my business ... so I am not using a signature url...
just for this one post. WE are [in Greece] and doing private skippered cruises. We don't do bareboat and we don't have 50 boats out there. So also the capacity is pretty... small ... in number of charters we can handle per year...
If it does offend of not stating the company... and you prefer opinions that do actively advertise a company.. well I do not agree. First of all comes sailing as a hobby, sport, recreation and holiday activity and then after all the business...

Last edited by JohnRPollard; 04-14-2011 at 06:10 PM. Reason: removed website address
Old 04-14-2011

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Andreas,

We welcome your participation here. I'm sure you can provide helpful information to Sailnet members sailing in that region. And, yes, we require you to disclose that you are involved in the marine charter business.

However, this site is supported in large part by paid advertisers. We therefor do not allow members to advertise their businesses for free in the forums. We also do not allow members to use the private messaging systems to solicit business. This is stated very plainly in the Sailnet User Agreement to which you agreed when joining Sailnet.

We will need you to remove the reference to your business website, both from your posts and your signature line. You should replace your signature line with a disclosure line stating something to the effect "Professional Charter Captain" or "Charter Boat Company Operator" or whatever it is that you do for the charter company.

Please take care of this promptly. Thank you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 04-14-2011

Done...no offense!