Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Chartering
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2011

jweller001 is on a distinguished road
We have found the online website Ports by Boat | Sailing and Boating Cruising Guide with Trip Planner. a pretty neat tool for finding anchorages, moorings, and points-of-interest. It lists a few stops like restaurants and buffets and snorkel sites as well.

There is also a trip log of a couple that traveled the BVI and there route and photos are there for the viewing.

Have fun.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-01-2011
SearenitySail

mksailnet is on a distinguished road
PortsByBoat.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by jweller001 View Post
We have found the online website Ports by Boat | Sailing and Boating Cruising Guide with Trip Planner. a pretty neat tool for finding anchorages, moorings, and points-of-interest. It lists a few stops like restaurants and buffets and snorkel sites as well...

Have fun.
I just jumped on the site, only went to Block Island, Rhode Island. The location of a marina was incorrectly posted.

That was the only place I went, though; the site looks like it has potential! The user just may want to confirm information with another source as well.

I bookmarked it; I will definitely go back to take another look at it.

"People sail for fun and no one has yet convinced me that it's more fun to go slow than it is to go fast." -Dick Newick
Old 03-14-2011

fallard is on a distinguished road
The Scott guide is all you really need, but if you want another perspective, there is the Pavlidis guide (Seaworthy Publications). In any case, things change between editions, so it's best to get an update from your chart briefer at the charter base.

I just checked out the Port by Boat site and it is appallingly inaccurate and incomplete in the Mystic, Pawcatuck, and Block Island areas ( I didn't go any further). A much better site is Activecaptain, but it isn't perfect either.
Old 01-22-2012

Wobbles88' is on a distinguished road
Bvi/first time

Hello,
First time four us to the BVI's. What is the best chart for the location? We would like to be familiar before we head out.
Old 01-22-2012

To Wobbles88' on a BVI chart:

We've been using the Imray-Iolare Waterproof chart (A231 and A232) for quite a few years. It covers St. Thomas to Virgin Gorda on one side, and Tortola to Anegada on the other (with some overlap). It's a pretty rugged chart that you can fold repeatedly.

You might mark your potential itinerary in pencil and then mark your actual track, including dates for your overnight stops, with a ball point pen. We've done this for 7 or 8 charters over the years and it provides a memory jog when folks ask us for a recommended itinerary.
Old 01-26-2012
Master & Commander

BoxedUp is on a distinguished road
Why not just peruse sailnet? There are plenty of good threads with info on anchorages/mooring fields, dive spots, beach bars, etc. There are also suggested itineraries for your cruise around the islands. Depending on when you go, will also affect where you go. If the Winter, the swells may keep you out of Cane Garden Bay and make things uncomfortable @ Cooper Island. We've only gone in the late Spring and when I saw this video of Cane Garden Bay, I couldn't believe it was the same anchorage.
Cane Garden Bay - YouTube
Old 01-26-2012
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxedUp View Post
Why not just peruse sailnet? There are plenty of good threads with info on anchorages/mooring fields, dive spots, beach bars, etc. There are also suggested itineraries for your cruise around the islands. Depending on when you go, will also affect where you go. If the Winter, the swells may keep you out of Cane Garden Bay and make things uncomfortable @ Cooper Island. We've only gone in the late Spring and when I saw this video of Cane Garden Bay, I couldn't believe it was the same anchorage.
Cane Garden Bay - YouTube
Sailnet is a great source of information and inspiration; however, when we go on our first BVI charter in April, it will be handy to have a paper resource to take with us. I have made copious amounts of notes from forum information and I'll append them to the BVI guide that was recommended to us.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 01-26-2012
Master & Commander

BoxedUp is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
Sailnet is a great source of information and inspiration; however, when we go on our first BVI charter in April, it will be handy to have a paper resource to take with us. I have made copious amounts of notes from forum information and I'll append them to the BVI guide that was recommended to us.
Wherever you decide to go, you'll have a great time. Look at any pics or videos from BVI trips and you'll see plenty of ear to ear grins

Although this is your first BVI charter, I assure you it won't be your last. With that in mind, don't think that you have to see everything on this trip. You won't want to miss the Baths on Virgin Gorda and since it's one of the most popular stops, make sure you get there early enough to secure a mooring ball since anchoring is not allowed in the National Park areas, unless you want to pull into Spanish Town and take a cab.

We'll be there in late May and I already have that grin on my face just knowing that we're going back.
Old 01-26-2012

Cane Garden Bay is to be avoided when a northerly swell is running. Other anchorages are sensitive to swells, too. Your charter base should offer advice on which anchorages to avoid.

Make sure you ask. The penalty for ignorance is a rolly, sleepless night and a real adventure if you try to take your dinghy to the beach.

Another thought for first timers in the Caribbean is to be prepared to be backwinded when you are close to shore. When this happens, your boat and the seas will not line up like you are used to in the Northeast and you may have a rolly night. If you see other boats using a second anchor off the stern, like in the eastern end of Little Harbour on Peter Island, you'll know why. In close quarters you may have to use a stern anchor to keep from swinging into other boats in what otherwise looks like a cozy anchorage.
Old 01-26-2012
Owl

-OvO- is on a distinguished road
What else... Take bug repellent, and don't anchor too close to shore -- you can't seeum, but they bite.