SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Chartering (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/chartering/)
-   -   Best BVI Cruising Guide (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/chartering/71608-best-bvi-cruising-guide.html)

basssears 01-25-2011 04:08 PM

Best BVI Cruising Guide

Looking for opinions on what is the best cruising guide to buy before heading to Tortola.

We're chartering with SunSail, and I gather they provide a guide of some sort, but not sure what it contains and would like to have something beforehand for planning anyway.

Looking around the newest I could find on Amazon was "Cruising Guide to the Virgin Islands" 14th Edition by Nancy & Simon Scott... is this the best one to go with, or does anyone have a better recommendation?

Thanks in advance,

-- Bass

SVAuspicious 01-25-2011 07:53 PM

The Scott's guide will surely be what you will find on the boat. The Moorings sends you a copy ahead of your charter so Sunsail may as well - call and ask. Most boats also have a copy of Virgin Anchorages with is a picture book of anchorages. Any other guide would be a distant third.

Where are you? I have years of the Scott guide and would loan you one before you get there if you are close to Annapolis.

I just got back from a delivery to BVI. What a great cruising ground.

basssears 01-26-2011 11:28 AM

Thanks... but...

I'm in Idaho (sailing hotbed of the world, you know), so not exactly close to Annapolis ;-) But thanks for the offer.

I'll check with Sunsail about getting one beforehand or just buy one, sounds like it's the one I'll want anyway.

Need to check with them about what charts they provide anyway.

Thanks again.

-- Bass

SVAuspicious 01-26-2011 05:04 PM

My pleasure. I've been sailing the BVI for 30 years. Let me know if I can answer any questions you may have.

bbarnewolt 01-26-2011 10:26 PM

Just back from a week in the BVIs with Sunsail. They provide you with the latest Scott's Cruising Guide to the Virgin Islands and a single chart of the BVIs. The cruising guide is fine and up to date. The chart is adequate. Most boats also have GPS units.

We lost the chart in 35 knot winds!!! Cost us 30 bucks when we returned-- but it was worth it.

Have a great time.

Brien

mksailnet 01-29-2011 09:36 PM

Virgin Anchorages book

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVAuspicious (Post 690947)
The Scott's guide will surely be what you will find on the boat..Most boats also have a copy of Virgin Anchorages with is a picture book of anchorages. Any other guide would be a distant third.

Where are you? I have years of the Scott guide and would loan you one before you get there if you are close to Annapolis.

I just got back from a delivery to BVI. What a great cruising ground.

I second the recommendation of Virgin Anchorages -- it is an excellent companion to Scott's Cruising Guide. I wouldn't count on MOST boats having this on board, though. I bought my own copy and bring it with me whenever I go--I make notes on the pages that I use as references for future trips. I have never regretted spending the money on it.

Amazon.com: Virgin Anchorages (9780944428504): Simon Scott, Nancy Scott: Books

Marshall

Minnewaska 01-30-2011 05:16 AM

Not sure how long you are going, but the BVIs are very manageable. Nothing is all that far away. With a good chart and a list of a dozen places to go, you will be fine. Anegada may be the only island where some local knowledge would be helpful. You can find many recommendations right here.

A pile of text books will be fun to read and dream of your trip, but won't be very necessary. It is "the islands", so whatever they tell you will be provided, or whatever someone else got on their trip, is not assured you will actually get when you arrive. Just the way things are there. So, if you feel you can't live without it, bring it. They won't have the slightest idea why you are bothered about not getting what you were told. You will find that if you remain friendly, laid back and don't insist on deadlines, things that you ask for will often show up eventually.

QuickMick 01-31-2011 11:09 AM

this is kind of a neat resource:

https://activecaptain.com/X.php

brummytezza 02-13-2011 09:08 AM

Scotts seems to be the bible and we found it gave all the info we needed. The Moorings send it to you when you book. Enjoy - it's a great place to sail and Anegada is well worthwhile.

MylesK 02-13-2011 04:28 PM

Having sailed with Julian Putley, author of the Drinking Man's Guide to the BVI's, I'd like to think it contains everything you need to know and then some.

My wife and I have done a good bit of sailing in the BVI's (and we're heading back down for a week in March). Also, we have relatives who live on Tortola.

Let us know if you need any info.