SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Chartering (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/chartering/)
-   -   San Juan Islands Charter - 1st Time (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/chartering/72662-san-juan-islands-charter-1st-time.html)

Checkov 03-08-2011 06:47 PM

San Juan Islands Charter - 1st Time

Iím new to sailing, started last year. I love it. Iíll be getting my bareboat certificate in April and planning on chartering a boat for a seven day cruise through the San Juan Islands in August with my sail mates.

Iím early in the planning phase but need to secure a boat soon before I donít have many options.

Does it matter if I depart from Anacortes or Bellingham? Seems like the two most likely harbors for this cruise.

Also does any one recommend either of the following charter services?

Anacortes Yacht Charters

or

San Juan Sailing

I am very excited to have found sailnet.com!

Thanks all.

MSN2Travelers 03-08-2011 09:01 PM

San Juan Sailing ...

We have used San Juan Sailing out of Bellingham.

Well maintained boats and a great group of people to work with.

noreault 03-08-2011 09:40 PM

I second san juan sailing. First class operation.

jackdale 03-08-2011 11:34 PM

I have used AYC. I was pleased with their service and the boat. 20 years ago.

Jack

n7cjv 03-09-2011 12:26 AM

AYC is a good reputable charter company. Starting/ending in Anacortes would save you about a day assuming you want to stay in the islands. Chartering in B'ham would mean crossing the Georgia straits (in/out) which can get get somewhat tenuous depending on WX and your experience. If chartering with AYC, get good instructions on how to enter/exit marina. You have to follow markers for ~3/4 mi.

djodenda 03-09-2011 07:29 AM

I'm sorry, Mark, but it's not necessary to cross the Georgia Straits to get to the San Juan Islands from Bellingham. Probably a toss-up between Anacortes and Bellingham to get to the San Juan Islands as far as the difficulty of the passage (generally a few easy hours)

That being said, Anacortes is technically on one of the San Juan Islands...(Fidalgo) ;)

At any rate, either place is a good place to start, and both AYC and San Juan Sailing have excellent reputations.

Have a great trip, and let us know when/where you are leaving. We'll keep an eye out for you.

n7cjv 03-09-2011 12:18 PM

Sorry, I genericized a bit. Starting from B'ham, you have to go around Lummi Is and cross over into the islands. Depending on where you're going, this could be ~3 hrs. Sometimes the winds from the straits can funnel down through here and things can get a bit rough depending on tide etc. The "3 hrs" is actually 6 hrs cuz you have to go back. On a week long trip, this can be a significant piece of time. My point was that perhaps starting from Anacortes might give you more time "in the islands" depending on your itinerary.

CharlieCobra 03-09-2011 12:23 PM

AT least if ya come out of B-Ham you'll likely have some wind in the Summer, unlike Anacortes...

jackdale 03-09-2011 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CharlieCobra (Post 706961)
AT least if ya come out of B-Ham you'll likely have some wind in the Summer, unlike Anacortes...

And Rosario can have some very nasty currents. I have not sailed out of Bellingham, so I cannot comment.

jrd22 03-09-2011 01:06 PM

I think Moorings is in B'ham also. I see their boats out here. Anacortes will be an hour or two shorter trip each way, you have to cross Rosario St. regardless.
I thought I heard about a charter outfit in Friday Harbor on San Juan Island, but don't remember the name.