Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Chartering
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2011

Dreamstimer is on a distinguished road
Greece: how rough are the Cyclades?

I'm doing my first 2 weeks charter this summer (Jul2-16). The boat will be either an Odyssey 42i or a Hanse 470, both 2009 built.

Lavrion will be the base, but am wondering if I should go for the Cyclades or the Northern Sporades. I've been in Santorini before so I know what to expect as scenery. Never been to N Sporades, but they seem greenier and more calm (similar to Chalkidiki which is a very serene place).

Basically I'm tempted for the Cyclades but am worried it will be too windy and too hot.

They're both very popular if not most popular. Wondering what was your experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-10-2011

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road
We went upwind to Syros and started there and drifed down towards Santorini.

If you are going to get busted by a Meltemi you're gunna get it anywhere so you need to put up with it.

Syros was the most AMAZING place in the world! The guide book says its the pits but the writer must have had a brain transplant with a toad. The whole city is made of marble!!! Buildings, pavements and the road surface themselves are marble!!!!!!!!!!

You tie to the town dock and all the resturants are right at your stern... of course they are expensive but one street back all the locals get on the fang and great cheap prices!

My website has photos and islands we went to. its Our Life At Sea - Sailing Yacht 'Sea Life' and the page you need is 2010 part 2 scroll down the bottom!
Syros - See how many boats are crushing up against Sea Life?

Syros - Its ALL Marble! And Bouganvillia!

Mark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-10-2011
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
Nice...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-12-2011

bareboatingtheworld is on a distinguished road
Charter Bareboat Sailing the Sporades in Greece

Haven't been to the Cyclades, but, spent two weeks bareboat chartering in the Sporades out of Milna on the Gulf of Volos. They were green, but, not as green as bareboating the Ionian's on the west coast. They are my favorite spot in Greece to charter bareboat sail.

From Sporades Islands Greece

In the Sporades, you could generally count on the meltemi winds touching 20 knots in the afternoon when we were there in late July, early August, though there we some becalmed days. Almost all anchorages were open to the sea lanes, so they were a bit bouncy. The one Island we didn't get to was Skyros which was a disappointment, though we were lucky enough to see a Med Monk seal in the port of Pattiri (Alonnisos).

I've written up a detailed bareboating report that includes mapped log, photos, and insights on provisioning and navigation. Check it out as it might provide some good detail for you.

Enjoy
Gaetano

Bareboating the World | for lovers of charter bareboat holidays
Old 03-15-2011

chrondi is an unknown quantity at this point
Dear friend,
it is evident that you need advice, since starting at Sounion you have no other option than cruising the Cyclades. Your boat is big enough and going southward (running aided by the meltemi) should not pose any problem. You can even reach Santorini. Sailing through the "caldera" on the way to Vlychada harbour is a true experience and visiting Syros, Mykonos, Naxos and Ios along this route is highly recommended. Coming back northbound CAN pose a problem and beating against wind and waves for too long may become unbearable. Try to go a little bit to the West and visit Folegandros, Sifnos and Serifos. The last legs to Kythnos, Kea and back to your base at Lavrion may require a further three days, hence your programming should not be tight in the final days of your cruise and you should try to be in Kythnos well in advance, say on Wednesday assuming a usual Saturday cycle.
PS: The Northern Sporades islands are way too far and hardly accessible due to the notorious Kafireas-Skyros passage, see webpages: Travels with S/Y Thetis 2000: Kea to Skiathos and Travels with S/Y Thetis 2001: Skopelos to Kea

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.