SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Chartering (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/chartering/)
-   -   Sunsail 393 Stereo options (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/chartering/72692-sunsail-393-stereo-options.html)

zboss 03-10-2011 10:34 AM

Sunsail 393 Stereo options

Hello,

Do the Sunsail 393's have a stereo input for ipods or Sirius satellite? We will be chartering in the summer and I am wondering what our options are.

Thanks,

zboss

Warren460 03-10-2011 08:31 PM

I would suggest that you contact the charter base directly.

Boat might have STD iPod connection or mini rc. Bring both.

Also, dont forget to address charging requirements

Warren460 03-10-2011 08:59 PM

Re satellite radio:

Check sirius web site to see if the charter area is inside their coverage area.

For example, I don't think xm is available in the bvi.

Good luck

Have fun

zboss 03-11-2011 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warren460 (Post 707613)
Re satellite radio:

Check sirius web site to see if the charter area is inside their coverage area.

For example, I don't think xm is available in the bvi.

Good luck

Have fun

We currently get Sirius radio on Jost Van Dyke.

hellosailor 03-11-2011 12:49 PM

zboss, given that radios sometimes break and sometimes are replaced with whatever is on sale...I would contact the charterer and see what they will assure.

But for cheap insurance on that, you might want to get a universal adapter that plugs into any standard 3.5mm ("submini") headphone socket, and then broadcasts your music over an FM radio channel so you can pick it up on any FM radio. You will find these anywhere from $5 on eBay from China, to $75 in your local electronics store.

Some of the inexpensive ones actually plug into a cigarette lighter socket for their power, and take wired connections OR a memory card or both, and one memory card can holdan awful lot of music these days.

Cheap insurance.

zboss 03-11-2011 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hellosailor (Post 707832)
zboss, given that radios sometimes break and sometimes are replaced with whatever is on sale...I would contact the charterer and see what they will assure.

But for cheap insurance on that, you might want to get a universal adapter that plugs into any standard 3.5mm ("submini") headphone socket, and then broadcasts your music over an FM radio channel so you can pick it up on any FM radio. You will find these anywhere from $5 on eBay from China, to $75 in your local electronics store.

Some of the inexpensive ones actually plug into a cigarette lighter socket for their power, and take wired connections OR a memory card or both, and one memory card can holdan awful lot of music these days.

Cheap insurance.

PERFECT! Thanks.

zboss 03-14-2011 10:56 PM

Sorry for the double post but iPad is funny... In any case....

I confirmed that none of the Sunsail 393's have aux input. I have to use an fm transmitter.

jtsails 03-19-2011 08:38 AM

zboss,
where are you chartering out of? I've booked a trip out of St Martin in June on a Sunsail 39 and had the same question. I bought an inexpensive FM transmitter off amazon ($7) and it seems to work ok (not great but probably acceptable for me). I'll take a cord for an aux input and throw a couple of cd's in my bag just in case.
James

zboss 03-19-2011 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtsails (Post 710538)
zboss,
where are you chartering out of? I've booked a trip out of St Martin in June on a Sunsail 39 and had the same question. I bought an inexpensive FM transmitter off amazon ($7) and it seems to work ok (not great but probably acceptable for me). I'll take a cord for an aux input and throw a couple of cd's in my bag just in case.
James

BVI... My Sirius xm radio had a built in xm transmitter, which is nice.

I found a nice griffin xm transmitter for the apple devices that has the transmitter in line with the 12 volt plug.