Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Chartering
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2011

staszekfc is on a distinguished road
Bareboat charters in Brazil

I would like to ask you for your opinions/experiences about bareboat chartering in Brazil and necessary experience levels.

I consider myself a reasonably experienced sailor (I had my own 37ft Dufour in Lake Michigan and two years ago I chartered a 36ft beneteau at the BVI which was great). However I have no real blue water experience and as I plan to bring my family along I'm not looking for too exciting conditions. As I cannot find a lot of information on Brazil as a charter destination I wonder if it is a good idea to go there.

Reason I look at Brazil as destination is that I recently moved to Buenos Aires (yes I had to sell my boat ...) and Brazil is the closest destination where I expect to have nice weather during the coming months.

What do you think? Is Brazil a good idea or should I fly a couple of hours more and head to the BVI again?

Thanks for your help!

Staszek
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-20-2011

copacabana is on a distinguished road
Staszec,

Try googling "charter, Angra" and you'll get a list of charter companies that operate out of Angra dos Reis in the state of Rio. This area, which covers Paraty, Angra dos Reis and Ilha Grande is a great place to charter, with hundreds of small islands, sheltered waters and beautiful beaches. There are many places to go, great food and nice people. Just be aware that Brazil is not a cheap destination. I can't recommend any charter company, but if you want I can ask around to get a recommendation. I keep my boat in Ubatuba, which is not too far from Angra. We are heading into fall in the southeast of Brazil right now, but the water temp last weekend in Ubatuba was 27C/80F and the day temps over 30C!

Abrazo.
Old 04-21-2011

adanguy is on a distinguished road
its better you check online..there are private charters available for that .
Old 04-21-2011

staszekfc is on a distinguished road
Thanks for your feedback!

I will check online and see what I can find about Angra dos Reis.

The weather description sounds tempting...especially now we are moving slowly away from the summer weather here in BA.

Thanks again.
Old 04-25-2011

Staszec, you could try this company:

Delta Yacht Charter - Aluguel de Veleiros, Barcos, O melhor de Angra dos Reis! Venha Velejar conosco! - Nossos Veleiros

They use newer yachts like the Delta 36, which is a nice boat. I suspect the charter companies here will be pretty pricey compared to the Caribbean. You might also check out private yachts for charter here (try the "mercadolivre" site). The winter here starts soon as well, though nothing like the winter in BA! If you've never been sailing here, you're in for a real treat. Sailing distances are short and there are plenty of islands and calm anchorages in the Angra/Ilha Grande area.

If you need any help, just let me know.

Saludos!
Old 05-30-2011

Agustin is on a distinguished road
Staszec,
Welcome to Argentina!
I have chartered a sailboat in Angra, and it was great!.
We went only one week, so we could only go to Isla Grande and the islands near by. To go to Para Ti we would have need another week.
It is a great place, I recomend you to go.
We went in march, last year, and we would have need 2 or 3 degrees more of heat, jajaja.
You should be checking the weather and choose the departure time according to that.
It rains a lot up there.
To start checking some boats, here goes some pages.
www angrasail.com.br
we rented the boat to Ricardo, the owner of this vessels.
He is a great person, all worked out perfect, and he arranges a taxi to pick you up at the airport in Rio, then takes you to the supermarket, and then to Ricardo´s house where he has the boats.
They are not fancy boats like beneteaus, but they are cheaper.
Another pages
www angracharterboats.com
the delta yacht charter that Copacabana recomended you
and you should check more that comes googling on line.
Good luck!!
Agustin
Old 08-13-2012
Water Lover

Location: New Mexico, USA (Heron, Elephant Butte lakes); Arizona (Lake Pleasant)
rgscpat is on a distinguished road
Re: Bareboat charters in Brazil

Let me apologize for reviving a somewhat aged thread.

A sailing friend of mine had the idea of chartering a sailing yacht (12 - 16 m/39 - 50 ft) for the 2016 Olympics. I wonder whether the Olympics will have much effect on the price of yacht charters out of Angra dois Reis or the Rio area.

Some of us speak adequate Spanish, but lack Portugese. We have a variety of sailing backgrounds and some of us have chartered as well as owned our own boats.

Obrigado,
Pat
Old 08-13-2012

Pat, I'm not exactly sure what your question is except the part about yacht charter prices going up at the time of the olympics. I would bet that they will (and they are already very expensive here). If your plan is to stay on the boat in Rio and catch some of the olympic events then I think your biggest problem will be finding a place to keep your charter boat in Rio or Niteroi. There are precious few slips or moorings to rent in Rio as it is and you can bet that during the olympics a lot of Brazilians will want to keep their boat in Rio for the games, myself included. I think you'd have to book so far in advance to get a slip for the olympics, and I'd hate to think of what they'll charge you. Another possibility is chartering close to Rio and bussing into the city for the days you want to catch an event. Buzios is not too far and has nice sailing. Good luck.
Old 08-13-2012
Water Lover

Location: New Mexico, USA (Heron, Elephant Butte lakes); Arizona (Lake Pleasant)
rgscpat is on a distinguished road

Thank you, Copacabana, very much for your advice. Finding a marina slip, mooring, or secure anchorage near Rio during the Olympic seems to be a larger challenge than I realized. Perhaps I should visit some time well before the Olympics to see just what might be available or what the limitations are.

I would venture to guess that the best way to get a slip is to charter a boat locally, and use its home slip as a base. The disadvantage is that there might be limited choice of available boats.

A variant might be to find out whether a boat or property owner in Rio might be willing to charter a boat or rent a slip, mooring, or water front space. That would perhaps work better if I were able to meet sailors and boat owners in the area well before the Olympics. Perhaps someone in Rio who does not want to attend the Olympics might find it appealing to take a cruise for a week or two, and would be willing to sublet a marina slip or mooring. I am also a member of a couple of yacht and sailing clubs in the USA, so it might be possible to establish reciprocity.

Another option is to charter somewhere nearby such as Angra, and commute via public transport to Rio. That might or might not be practical... I don't know how good transportation links are in the area, and whether they function at convenient times.

Suas opiniões e informações são muito valorizados.
Obrigado pelo conselho,
Pat
Old 08-13-2012

Pat, I'm not aware of any charter outfits in the city of Rio, although there are day charter boats there with the skipper on board. I really think you'll have trouble finding a slip or mooring in Rio. There really aren't a lot of places to keep a boat there and anchoring out just isn't done in the city. You can check the rates at Marina da Glória and see if they have space for the period of the olympics. Have a look in Niteroi as well. Angra has bareboat charters, but it's not that close to Rio. The bus along the coast from Angra to Rio, while scenic, takes hours. If you are planning on going to events in Rio and returning to sleep in Angra I think it's a bit too far. Buzios is closer to Rio and also very nice. I'm not really sure if there are bareboat charters there, but I can try to find out for you.

I'm still not sure of what you're looking for exactly. Do you want to charter to avoid staying in a hotel? I think the hotel route will be cheaper and you can always extend your stay and charter in the Angra-Ilha Grande-Paraty region before or after the games. It's really a beautiful area to cruise in. Boa sorte!

Abraço!