Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Chartering
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2011

LakePirate is on a distinguished road
Where to go, Belize, Bahamas or Turks & Caicos

We have chartered 6 times in the US and BVIs and now looking for someplace new. What would be the pros and cons of the three listed in the title? I'm interested in both sailing conditions and things and places to see and do. Probably be two other couples on a 7 to 10 day cruise.
Old 06-05-2011

Allanbc is on a distinguished road
I've chartered in Belize. Depends on what you are looking for.

In Belize, you will have solitude and quiet anchorages alone. If you are after nightlife, Belize is not the place. There are few places to even buy a beer. You need to be self-sufficient and fully stocked. You can likely find a fisherman here or there to buy fish, conch, and lobster. If that is what you are looking for, Belize has it.

Difference between a power boater and a sailor out on the water: A power boater is going some place special, a sailor is already there.

s/v Zotz 1981 Pearson 365 Ketch Hull #375
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-05-2011

mtboat is on a distinguished road
Belize is not safe

My friend operates a croc recovery foundation in Belize. The local witch, said that some missing children, were fed by the white man to the crocs. He was across island and the villagers burned down his house and killed a few crocs. Threatened to burn him out again. He found a new town in the north to rebuild and recover. Still threatening him and his wife. Why? Because they are white.
I began to read the comments in the local paper and tv, and tried to bring some sense to this, and was immediately in on line arguments, with Belezians, and experienced first hand having my life threatened. I began to read other news stories of Americans, particularly white, that are treated badly there.
One lady was accused of running her car into a local drunk on a motor bike.
The witnesses all stated that she was stopped at a stop sign, and not even moving when the idiot with no lights smashed into her. The cops arrested her. She cannot leave the country. The news blogs came to life. She should be killed, they said. Damn white people with money.
Do a Google search for
ACES Crocodile Sanctuary Burned down. and stay out of Belize, the most hateful and racist place I have ever encountered.
In the blogs I mentioned my intent to tell the sailboat /cruisers about the situation. The people said they don't care, they don't want your money.
Old 06-05-2011

kd3pc is on a distinguished road
Sorry to disagree, but Belize is far safer than most american cities. Many places to cruise, even more to dive. The water is wonderful and I found the people to be very nice. Some areas are too americanized and the people resent them for doing so.

Bahamas are nice too, perhaps a bit more shallow water and tougher sailing depending on your route. More "american" style provisions but more $$, but like belize water can be pricey so don't waste.

Best of luck where ever you go.
Old 06-05-2011

lapworth is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtboat View Post
the most hateful and racist place I have ever encountered.
Really! Have you been to Belize
Old 06-05-2011

Allanbc is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kd3pc View Post
Sorry to disagree, but Belize is far safer than most american cities. Many places to cruise, even more to dive. The water is wonderful and I found the people to be very nice. Some areas are too americanized and the people resent them for doing so.
I've got to agree with this. I've spent quite a bit of time in Belize and have many good friends who live there. Sure there are some bad people there but face it, there are bad people everywhere.

I'm quite familiar with the ACES story. There may be more to that story but I'm not sure.

Difference between a power boater and a sailor out on the water: A power boater is going some place special, a sailor is already there.

s/v Zotz 1981 Pearson 365 Ketch Hull #375
Old 06-05-2011
TROUBLE

RTB is on a distinguished road
My wife and I had a very recent vacation in T&C. Super friendly locals. Very laid back. Absolutely beautiful! We weren't there with the boat, however some friends from our marina were just there. Maybe this will give you some feel for Turks and Caicos - Storyville

Ralph
Old 06-05-2011

Yorksailor is on a distinguished road
Having spent 3 yrs cruising the Caribbean our favorite place for a family sailing vacation was the Grenadines.

Phil
Old 06-05-2011

sck5 is on a distinguished road
I have been to all of these places except the Turks and Caicos. We loved Belize - if you are chartering out of Placencia you will have isolated anchorages, spectacular snorkelling and diving and not much in the way of other boats. Further north it is different I am told, but I have no experience of that. Navigation is by eyeball but not too hard if you keep a good lookout and get the cruising guide.

The Bahamas are very American compared to the other places and also quite shallow. Also really good snorkelling and diving and much easier provisioning than the other places. I liked it there but it felt like Florida except they drive on the left.

The Grenadines are spectacular - much more like ocean sailing but really worth it. St. Vincent was not a place I felt very comfortable but it is OK as a place to land at the airport, go straight to the charter bases (which are very close) and sail off right away. Bequia (a really nice place) is only a couple of hours sail away and everywhere else is south of there. But if you have crew who dont like high winds and swells then think twice about this, esp. in January and February when the christmas winds are happening.
Old 06-24-2011
Learning

oaklandmax is on a distinguished road
Offshore Belize is nice enough.

On vacation on Ambergris Caye I felt very safe (safer than home in my home city in the US).

However:
Belize City is pretty grim. I felt safer in Phnom Penh.