Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Chartering
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2011

ScituateMan is on a distinguished road
Where to charter next?

It has been over a year since my last charter. With captain and crew of nine adults, we chartered a 47 foot cat in the BVI during the month of May. We all had a fantastic time. My crew is itching for the next trip, but where to go?

We have been to the BVI twice and have chartered out of Newport, RI twice. We like a stiff breeze, warm beaches, good snorkeling and a good amount of night life. Anchorages less crowded than those in the BVI and an occasional desserted cove would be nice once in a while too.

I am leaning towards St. Vincent and the Grenadines. I'd love to hear from people that have been there? What about Greece? We have some interest in going there. Is the water warm? Are there nice beaches? Can anyone suggest some place else?

I'm happy to hear your thoughts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-04-2011
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
SVG.

I chose this area as part of my cruising grounds in retirement on my forever boat.

IMHO it does not get much better than this.

If you need to take a puddle jump to get to SV consider chartering out of Canouan.
ScituateMan likes this.
Old 08-04-2011

Tim R. is on a distinguished road
We did SVG last year and enjoyed the sailing. It is more sailing oriented though and not nice and calm like the BVIs. The trade winds blow through here almost constantly and you only get shelter from the seas when on the west side of the islands(where most people sail). Crossing from STV to Bequia is probably the roughest. Going down the chain is easy. Coming back is beating into wind and waves. Definitely a more remote and wild feel compared to the BVIs.

Bequia is nice with lots of waterfront night spots.

Some islands are very poor and show it. Canouan is one that has some nice places bordered by shacks.

Mustique is a little odd as it is owned by a company that leases land to the rich and famous. They help you build your house and supply the labor for domestic help. Interesting and a little creepy at the same time. Worth it to hire a guid for a tour when here.

Tobago Cays is awesome. Great snorkeling in the turtle preserve. Do the lobster bake on the beach with Patric. If you make friends, he will show you around his home island of Mayreau.

StV can be tricky as I have heard of some pirate issues up along the west coast. No direct experience though. Lots of "farmers" there who do not like tourists poking around.

Union island is also nice. Great little harbor with lots to do.
ScituateMan likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-----------------------------------------------------

Last edited by Tim R.; 08-05-2011 at 08:53 AM.
Old 08-06-2011

I'm curious why you suggest starting from Canouan?

Thanks for the reply.
Old 08-06-2011

Treilley, thank you for this info.
Old 08-06-2011
Special Delivery

speciald is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to speciald
Depends on how adventurous your group is - We loved the Baleric islands off the coast of Spain, Croatia, and the Greek islands; never done the far east. Closer by - look at what Sunsail/Moorings has to offer - like the Mexican coast, Sint Maarten, St. Vincents. King Charters is a good source for organized fleet trips. We sailed with them in New Zealand and Valencia for the America's Cup.
Old 08-06-2011

captainalf is on a distinguished road
For the stiff breeze I'd recommend Greece, but except for July/ August the water will be definitely colder than the Carribean. Since I have my little charter company in Thailand, I of course would recommend this country, but it's rather a light wind area and for the night life you would not mingle with other yachties, since there are not that many. On the other hand, much more exotic than the mentioned places and very good value - 49 f catamaran starts at 690 Euro all inclusive per day.
Old 08-07-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Haven't done it myself yet, but the Medditeranean sounds like a bucket list idea to me. I would research that.

For simple and close, I would also consider the Bahamas, particularly if you don't mind a cat. Several recreational ports, easy to feel like you are further away than you are. Islands can be a bit further apart and cause some long sailing days. Concerns over shallow water are exaggerated, IMHO. That is manageable, particularly with a cat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 08-07-2011
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScituateMan View Post
I'm curious why you suggest starting from Canouan?

Thanks for the reply.
It is right in the middle of the cruising area that most would visit.

Nothing wrong with chartering out of Blue Lagoon on St Vincent and if you wanted to visit Moustique [ and roll all night ] then it is the best starting point.

Also for most people if chartering out of Blue Lagoon they would plan to be in Bequia for the first and last nights. If out of Canouan you could get there from almost anywhere you would go in one day.
Old 09-27-2011

Maytrix is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScituateMan View Post
Anchorages less crowded than those in the BVI and an occasional desserted cove would be nice once in a while too.
Keep in mind that the time of year you have previously been to the BVI and go dictates the crowds.

BVI in October is much quieter and we've been in deserted coves there that time of year.

I imagine even in other places there are the busy and quieter times as well, so I'd consider that as well.