SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Chartering (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/chartering/)
-   -   Bareboat to Catalina Island (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/chartering/77200-bareboat-catalina-island.html)

EGLLaw 08-05-2011 10:09 AM

Bareboat to Catalina Island

Hello all -

I am thinking of a charter from Marina Del Rey to Catalina Island in December 2012 (hope to see the whales migrating south) and welcome your thoughts and suggestions. I am probably going with Blue Pacific Boating for the charter. I would love to here from those that may have done this trip, especially those that have done it during that time of year, and what I might expect. Thanks in advance.

windward54 08-05-2011 11:23 AM

We've gone over to Catalina in December several times. Weather is about the only issue, as some years we have had 80 degree days and some trips get cold and wet. But the island is great, and the crowds are gone.

We always head over to Catalina (Cat) Harbor as it is the only really sheltered harbor on the island. That way, if something comes up, at least you have some shelter. The down side of going to Cat Harbor is you have to walk about a quarter mile to the little community and there are not as many services . So if you are dependent on a shore boat, there is going to be a wait. But the trade off is you have the place pretty much to yourselves.

tomperanteau 08-05-2011 02:11 PM

In '09 we did Two Harbors on 12/24. Was cool in the day and cold at night, but it was a great trip. Lots of dolphins and clear skies. We really like Two Harbors as opposed to the commercial Avalon, but have not tried Cat Harbor, which is the west side of Two Harbors. That'll be next - probably within the next month.

windward54 08-05-2011 02:34 PM

Cat Harbor is nice, but you do get a prevailing wind every afternoon that will come up. Makes BBQ'ing a little tough some times. But we really like the side, as we go for the peace and quiet. Mooring system is the same as Ithsmus Cove.

Tom, Cat Harbor is on the south or outside of the island! Don't want you to get lost between here and there!

EGLLaw 08-05-2011 05:22 PM

Gentlemen -

Thanks for the thoughts. I have the same question, but thinking about mid to latter part of October. Is there a better chance of good weather? Again, thanks for your help.

tomperanteau 08-05-2011 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by windward54 (Post 758896)
Tom, Cat Harbor is on the south or outside of the island! Don't want you to get lost between here and there!

I knew that! Really I did. I've been watching too much Google Earth. We'll probably head down there in a few weeks. The wife loves to fish and wants to take a trip around there so we can drop some lines along the way.

windward54 08-05-2011 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EGLLaw (Post 758939)
Gentlemen -

Thanks for the thoughts. I have the same question, but thinking about mid to latter part of October. Is there a better chance of good weather? Again, thanks for your help.

October is a little more predictable. Just watch out for the Santa Ana winds that can come up. And it might be a little cool after sundown.

tomperanteau 08-06-2011 12:19 AM

EGL: Are you an attorney?

JiffyLube 08-06-2011 12:28 AM

We held an All Islander Rendezvous on the Isthmus side during the first weekend of September last year, and the weather was fine the whole time. This year the first weekend of September we're holding our Second All Islander Rendezvous at Cat Harbor, and I'm anticipating conditions will be just as good.

capttb 08-06-2011 12:30 AM

Weather usually good in October, Latitudes & Attitudes hosts a cruisers party, and there's a Bucaneers weekend about that time.