Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2011
Freedom 39

FarCry is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie nelson View Post
fallard tell me about the usvi. Just looking at a map of that whole area and it seems like there are a ton of places to sail to around st thomas. Have you ever been to tabago? Looks like a cool place to visit. Honestly it looks like an easy 7 or 10 days of sailing around the usvi. Hell i dont have to see everything in one trip and dont want to. Im thinking i need to save the bvi for another trip.?( got some time to think about it)

eddie
I'm not Fallard even though he has been doing a very good job providing information.

There aren't that many really great places to go around St Thomas especially when compared to St John. On St Thomas, Brewers Bay and Magan's Bay are nice. Depending on conditions Lindbergh can be too. Just off St Thomas, Water Island and Great St James offer some great opportunities for an overnight. For a day stop, Buck Island is fantastic.

The Tobago Islands are outside of the USVI and in the BVI waters. I have spent some time there on really flat days which only happen a handful of times a year. There are some very good snorkeling spots but typically the swell and current are too much for me to reccommend that area as a destination. To go there legally you have to clear into the BVI, probably at Jost, then sail to either of the Tobagos to snorkel, dive, etc. Then you probably are going to end up beating back to Jost to spend the night or sailing over to St John to clear back into the USVI. It's off the beaten path and not a spot that is normally a comfortable place to spend the night.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-17-2011

Lennie Cantor is on a distinguished road
usvi

Add Content
Old 10-28-2011

rundugrun is on a distinguished road
I know this thread is a couple of months old, but to the OP (Eddie): If you only have 7 days, you might want to just sail around St. John, especially if this is your first charter and you have kids aboard. Possible itinerary could be:

Day 1 Maho or Francis Bay (walk up the stairs and get dinner at the Maho Bay Camp restaurant)
Day 2 Francis again (your kids might really like the beach) or sail around the point to Leinster. Hike up to the sugar mill ruins, snorkel around Waterlemon Cay
Day 3 Salt Pond Bay on the south side of St. John (go ashore hike to the salt ponds, do some snorkeling, too)
Day 4 Little Lameshur on the south side of St. John (nice beach)
Day 5 sail back to Leinster (you can get a taxi to Cruz Bay from the road near Mary Creek and enjoy a nice dinner "in town")
Day 6 Christmas Cove (good snorkeling and close to Red Hook for last night)
Day 7 Back to Red Hook...

Yes, it's not much sailing... But sometimes you find a place and you want to stay more than one day or the kids get bored and want to snorkel, hike or play in the water...

Either way, you'll have fun!
Old 10-29-2011

eddie nelson is on a distinguished road
Hey thanks for the input Run. Ive had sometime to think about it and decided to wait till late May when the kids are finished with school for the summer. Farcry lives in St Thomas and we're going to hook up with him for a 10 day and hit the BVI and possibly Anagada. That being said we are going to be chartering out of St Thomas so i would love to see the usvi also. We gonna squeeze everything we can into 10 days.lol
Old 10-29-2011
New York Sailor

EliotR is on a distinguished road
I just got back from Tortola...The ferry is no big deal...its worth it
Old 10-31-2011

rundugrun is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie nelson View Post
Hey thanks for the input Run. Ive had sometime to think about it and decided to wait till late May when the kids are finished with school for the summer. Farcry lives in St Thomas and we're going to hook up with him for a 10 day and hit the BVI and possibly Anagada. That being said we are going to be chartering out of St Thomas so i would love to see the usvi also. We gonna squeeze everything we can into 10 days.lol
That's a good plan, Eddie. With 10 days you'll have enough time to spend a couple of days around St. John and even get up to Anegada. Our last 10 day trip was USVI and BVI... We had a blast.
Old 11-01-2011

denverd0n is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarCry View Post
In a PM I would be glad to...
Why not post? The whole point of a forum like this is to share information. I'm sure everyone would like to partake of your experiences and knowledge.
Old 11-01-2011

tropicalfever is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
why not post? The whole point of a forum like this is to share information. I'm sure everyone would like to partake of your experiences and knowledge.
+2
Old 11-07-2011
Freedom 39

FarCry is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Why not post? The whole point of a forum like this is to share information. I'm sure everyone would like to partake of your experiences and knowledge.
What specifically would you and Tropicalfever like to know?

If you go back up a few posts to #11 on 8-14-11, you will see that I did share information regarding my experiences and knowledge about the areas the OP requested.
Old 04-19-2013

denverd0n is on a distinguished road
Re: Chartering the US VI

First post. Resurrect a two-year-old thread to bash CYOA. This makes it look like you are surfing around the net, looking for places where you can post your negative experience. Also, no information about when you were on this charter, what exactly the crew or owner did to be rude, and so on. Finally, you mention crew, but then say that you fixed the mechanical problem yourself. So, crewed charter or bareboat?

No offense, but I am more believing of a review when it comes from someone who has been posting here for a while. And for negative reviews I like to see a lot of specific details about what the problems were.