Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Chartering
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2011
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the input.

I don't know that we're into toting food on the plane although I understand your reasons for going that route. Our intention was to eat whatever was available to the the residents. I mean, they aren't living off of sea water. I didn't realize it would be so difficult or seem like such an odd thing to do.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-01-2011

Arpegecap is on a distinguished road
Donna, Dave summed it up nicely. I'd add that you NEED a cruising guide which your charter company usually sends you long before the trip. If not, buy one. If this is your first trip it will be worth its weight in gold/

Best,

Bob
Old 11-02-2011

BVIchick is on a distinguished road
a few helpful hints:

yes to packing dried spices you will use, no sense in buying bottles of them when you may only need a tsp for a recipe.

bring large and small ziploc bags, these are great for storing leftovers or open food items. ..especially things like cooked pasta or rice, open pkgs of lunch meat and cheeses etc. this keeps the food sealed and also doesn't take up much space in the fridge. Speaking of which, cook extra of things like rice, pasta, chicken etc so that you are only cooking once, these can be reused the next day for another quick easy meal....chicken salad etc

do not buy a lot of bread in the beginning, it only lasts a few days...as a matter of fact we have found soft shell tortillas are best, they last longer, easy to store and make good wraps!

yes to provision along the way as others have stated, there are good stores all over that have been listed in the posts above, just bring the list so you know when you are in an anchorage there is a store there somewhere or not!

initial provision order should include big heavy stuff as it will be delivered to the boat, saving your back...water, beer etc

on that note, just an FYI, you can go to Bobby's (for example), do your whole shop on your own and have them deliver you and your provisions to the boat...good if you are chartering out of the RT area, ave a bit of time and want to pick your own stuff.
Old 11-02-2011

fallard is on a distinguished road
We have done it both ways in the BVI, but there is something to be said for the convenience of provisioning through the charter base. We always self-provision in the USVI (Red Hook), but that's a different story.

Eating where the locals eat in the BVI is probably easiest outside Spanish Town, on the road to the Baths, but forget about it in most other places you are likely to go in your charter boat. You will see some locals at Foxy's, but that's probably not the kind of venue you had in mind as a local eatery.

Once under way, we've picked up supplementary supplies on Jost van Dyke (Great Harbour), near Soper's Hole (Tortola) and both Spanish Town and Leverick Bay (Virgin Gorda). The best place was at the Leverick Bay resort, but it wasn't cheap--nothing is in the islands. You can also hunt for a local bakery, like at Great Harbour, but some, like in The Settlement on Anegada, are not considered walking distance.

BTW, we recommend taking a slip at Virgin Gorda Yacht Harbor (Spanish town), where you can refill the water tank, stock up at the waterfront grocery/liquor store and take a taxi to the Baths (instead of swimming in from the dinghy mooring). None of this is free, but you will be pleasantly surprised at the slip fee. Alternatively, you could take a long walk to the Baths and check out the local restaurants on the way. If you want a really nice dinner, go to The Top of the Baths in time to catch the sunset. We've never been disappointed by the food or the service. It isn't for the budget-minded, but the prices are reasonable for the quality.
Old 11-02-2011

jackdale will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVIchick View Post
a few helpful hints:

yes to packing dried spices you will use, no sense in buying bottles of them when you may only need a tsp for a recipe.

Go up to the Caribee Spice store and get Caribbean Seasoning. Take the rest home. Good stuff.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 11-02-2011

zboss is on a distinguished road
Good provisioning is available just about everywhere in the BVI now, with the exception of Jost where things ($20 for a can of Off) remain very expensive.
Old 11-02-2011

asmilingshark is on a distinguished road
Old 11-02-2011

Patient is on a distinguished road
I second loading up at Bobbys via their online form, it will be delivered to the dock when you arrive as well. There is also a grocery store in Road town just a 5 minutes walk from the Moorings base along the road. (Take a right outside of the gates and head past the Ark Vintage store, you'll see it across the street past the Gas station)

There is another great grocery store in Soper's Hole. Make sure to head upstairs for the Lavish European food goods including a full service deli. There is another grocery store on Tortola itself in west end, you can dock there and step off quickly. They also have an ATM which you will no doubt need for Mooring fees and additional booze funds. Theres a fruit market there as well in season which makes for fresh nice rum drinks.

Don't forget the floating grocerystore on Norman Island. You can call in your request via radio or step off near the Pirates Bight and ask there.
Old 11-02-2011
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpegecap View Post
Donna, Dave summed it up nicely. I'd add that you NEED a cruising guide which your charter company usually sends you long before the trip. If not, buy one. If this is your first trip it will be worth its weight in gold/
Other people have said that we'd be sent a cruising guide. Sunsail did not send a cruising guide and said in our confirmation that one would be available on board when we arrive. We're going to buy one ahead of time.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 11-02-2011

rundugrun is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
Thanks for the input.

I don't know that we're into toting food on the plane although I understand your reasons for going that route. Our intention was to eat whatever was available to the the residents. I mean, they aren't living off of sea water. I didn't realize it would be so difficult or seem like such an odd thing to do.
As others have stated, the local residents buy their food at grocery stores on Tortola or the USVI. I suspect they eat their meals mostly at home. There are some small markets in the main achorages that others have covered... Having visited the islands since 1975, I think it's safe to say that they don't eat out at restaurants a lot. I'm aware that's a pretty big generalization, though.

Doug

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.