Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Chartering
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2003

Garmisch is on a distinguished road
Chartering Greece

All the reputable companies? We can add three names to the thieves - Aegeus Yachts, Vernicos Yachts and Westward Ho Sailing in the U.K. for representing the two Greek companies mentioned. If there are reputable Greek companies I wish I had known. From now on, I will never go with anyone but Moorings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-02-2003

Sailor25_2001 is on a distinguished road
Chartering Greece

So what happened with you and Aegeus Yacht Charters? I have chartered Six 51'' boats from them for Sept 11-18, 2004. I have never used them before and have sailed Grece four times previously.
Linda
Old 12-24-2003

Garmisch is on a distinguished road
Chartering Greece

Hi Linda,
I''m sure that if you have chartered six 51'' boats from one company you will be treated like royalty. We chartered one 31''boat from them for two weeks and they treated us very badly. First, the boat was equipped with roller furling mainsail and it wouldn''t budge unless you got up on deck and pulled and yanked on it. This was noted in the log book back in June and we chartered in October. They spent several hours of our first charter day trying to fix it by squirting WD40 oil on it. It rolled out once. Then when we were underway, on the first attempt it failed again. Among the other problems with the boat were the toilet, which leaked and made the entire salon smell like a sewer, the bilge pump didn''t work, the windlass malfunctioned due to lack of maintenance, the dinghy had an air leak, and the boat was generally not clean. We motored to Simi Island the first day and phoned them to tell them that the sail failed again. They told us they would have someone there to try to fix it. We waited there one day, a man came and had a look and said he could do nothing. When we got back to Rhodos, they spent one entire day of our charter fixing the sail and other problems. The problem with the sail was due to improper maintenance as it was rigged with the wrong size line causing it to jam. They wasted five days of our 13-day charter and when we asked for compensation they came up with one half of one day charter fee. We spent at least two full days getting back to Rhodos and sitting on the dock waiting while they did the maintenance on the boat that should have been done before handing it over. Plus, we had to alter our sailing plans to accomodate the maintenance of the boat. They also claimed that the smelling toilet was from dirty water in the harbor in Rhodos - it didn''t smell anymore after they tightened the seal however. The truth is that they don''t do proper maintenance on their boats and then deny that there were any problems. The log entries, however, prove that these problems were there for months. They also have too much on their plates to attend to any problems that arise. They were difficult to find at any time and when you did find them, they were too busy to do anything. We have chartered many times and have never had a single complaint until this company. I would never touch them again with a ten-foot pole. The same goes for Adrian Foss with Westward Ho who set up this charter. He has no idea of what incompetant people work for Aegeus Yachts and has no conscience about taking one''s money for a less than successful charter. We ended up paying quite a lot for the 8 days we were able to sail with their yacht. As I said before, if they treat you this way, they really are too stupid for words. But they have really no integrity at all when it comes to the "one-time" charterer. It has to be noted that the yacht was a Vernicos yacht, supplied by Aegeus Yachts. With so many hands in the pie, no one takes responsibility for anything. Perhaps Aegeus takes better care of their own yachts, but they did not take responsibility for the yacht they supplied us from Vernicos Yachts. I hold all the companies involved equally responsible for supplying what they promise and what they charge for. They are not cheap or discount yacht charterers. It was a very expensive two-week charter of which we had 8 successful sailing days.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.