SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Chartering (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/chartering/)
-   -   Chartering Greece (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/chartering/7772-chartering-greece.html)

Leeward1503 08-17-2003 09:07 PM

Chartering Greece

I want to charter a yacht in Greece in October and have been told that it would be foolhardy to leave it until I get there. I would have thought that it would be easier and a lot cheaper. But as I am from Australia and know nothing of the Greek charter business'' it is hard to decide especially from such a distance. Can anyone help?

kal_au 08-26-2003 05:54 AM

Chartering Greece

First decide what type of boat you want then shop around for best price and payment method.

Try these companies:
Kiricoulis,FYLY,Destinations Greece,Easy Yachting,Athenian yachts.

slalom23 08-26-2003 07:24 PM

Chartering Greece

With all the reputable companies why mention a bankcrupt company ex gpsc,
now (destinationsgreece)

kal_au 09-03-2003 12:05 AM

Chartering Greece

I am on a Destinations Greece charter right now so they can''t be bankrupt. GPSC is an American company from what I know but Destinations Greece is a new company run by Greek-Australian called Alex who used to work for GPSC and is now out on his own. I am Australian and booked through Alex and have nothing but praise for the service I have recieved so far. I have also used the other companies in the past and have had good service from them as well. Destinations Greece won this time round based on price.

alexwavez 09-04-2003 02:56 AM

Chartering Greece

I went and looked at the site of Destinations Greece and I think you must have been told a BS story. On the bottom of one of the pages is the following: Home | Our Company | Making Plans | Yachts & Countries | Flotillas
Cabin Charters | Travel | What''s Hot! | Contact Us
Phone: 30-010-9850004/5
Destinations Greece Site designed by:
Copyright 2000 GPSC Charters. All rights reserved.

You can view the page at the following location: http://www.destinationsgreece.com/EnglishSite/YachtsCountries/index.html

I know GPSC has really put a damper on many peoples holidays. Perhaps you are lucky.

Tintin 09-06-2003 11:15 AM

Chartering Greece

Hi there:

I am considering a family sailing holiday in Greece. We are planning a 10 day trip in June 2004 with either SunSail or Moorings. I have had positive experience with both companies. I have personally cruised in Carib, Tahiti, and Hawaii.

Location considered are Athens, Ionian or Sporades.

Does anyone have experience sailing in these locations for a family cruise.

Ideally I want relatively easy and short jumps, less crowded venues, and some interesting history and sites in route.

Any thoughts would be really appreciated.

Sincerely,

gmuller 09-25-2003 02:48 PM

Chartering Greece

Tin Tin
Just spent one week in the Ionian.
Kiroucoulis a bavaria 42 chartered from Gouvia Marina on Corfu.
My crew were all novices ie no sailing at all and had one friend who had done a little sailing.
The boat and company was great and the area is slendid!!!
Each day started off wit no wind so on with the donk till about two pm when the wind piped up to about 15 knots and dropped off at sunset.

The area was good with pleanty of oppurtunity to sail either long distance 35 miles or ten miles. check out http://mappoint.msn.com. Select the World Atlas
My route was gouvia to mourtos - parga - nidri on levkas - paxos - petitri - gouvia.
All of there besides nidri was really small quwaint villages and nidri was commercial resort.
The ionian was good for begionners as wind was light and days are short.
hope this of help to you.
i Have more in depth info if you want.
Gavin

richi 10-04-2003 10:38 AM

Chartering Greece

Regarding Destinations Greece, Alexwavex and Malt29 are correct. Until July of 2003 they were GPSC Yachts. That''s when they stole tens of thousands of dollars (perhaps more) from a bunch of people who charted boats with them. They then changed their name to Destinations Greece. Everything about Destinations Greece is exacly the same as GPSC Yachts, from the company phone number, to the address, to the web page, to the people working there. They are a bunch of thieves and anybody they don''t rip off should consider themselves lucky.

Garmisch 11-30-2003 09:48 AM

Chartering Greece

We have also had great luck with Moorings and Sunsail on quite a few charters around the world. I will tell you names in Greek chartering to avoid though. Avoid at all costs Aegeus Yachts and Vernicos Yachts. Also steer clear of Westward Ho Sailing out of the UK. They are the company that hooked us up with the two I mentioned and don''t stand behind any semblance of fair business practices. All three are dishonest.

Garmisch 11-30-2003 10:01 AM

Chartering Greece

Instead of writing the whole horrible story, let me just tell you three names to avoid at all costs: Aegeus Yachts, Vernicos Yachts, Westward Ho Sailing U.K. If you want particulars on why you should steer clear of these companies let me know and I will elaborate. You can get saddled with a yacht that doesn''t work and people who are incompetent and dishonest with any of these three companies. My advice is to go with Moorings - have been with them numerous times and never had a complaint.