Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Chartering
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2012

rundugrun is on a distinguished road
Island Yacht Charters - Red Hook

I know there are a few IYC customers here... so, if anyone has sailed either the IP 370 or IP 440, please let me know your thoughts. We typically charter boats in the 39-40 foot range, but 2 years ago chartered an IP Estero (36 feet) from IYC. We are a family of 5, so perhaps the additional space would be good.

If anyone has any experience with the 370 or 440 from IYC, please chime in. I know that Skip and Andrea keep all their boats in great shape, but I'd love to hear some personal opinions.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-12-2012

neilsty is on a distinguished road
Chartered the 440 from them a few years ago, wife + me and 3 kids in their early 20's. Great time - boat sailed a lot better than i expected with an IP. We also chartered a 380 i believe with furling main - sailed like a dog.
Old 01-12-2012

Additional info: THe 370 is a 2010 model and the the 440 is 2008. The 440 has 260 gallons of water, which is great. We might not have to fill up on water at all... but is the additional cost worth it?
Old 01-13-2012
Freedom 39

FarCry is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rundugrun View Post
Additional info: THe 370 is a 2010 model and the the 440 is 2008. The 440 has 260 gallons of water, which is great. We might not have to fill up on water at all... but is the additional cost worth it?
Other than the SVI, where is it you would go on a charter that getting water would be an issue?
Old 01-13-2012

Hey FarCry - Other than St. John, it's not that getting water is an issue... There's Marina Cay, Leverick, Sopers and many other places. It's the flexibility and convenience of having the option of not getting water at all... If the family wants to sail around St. John, the 260 gallons would allow us to do that, as getting water in St. John is tricky since Cruz Bay is off-limits for IYC.

Also, the 440 has two heads which would be very convenient for a family of 5.

Thanks,

Doug

Last edited by rundugrun; 01-13-2012 at 04:37 PM. Reason: 2 heads on 440
Old 01-13-2012
Freedom 39

FarCry is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rundugrun View Post
Hey FarCry - Other than St. John, it's not that getting water is an issue... There's Marina Cay, Leverick, Sopers and many other places. It's the flexibility and convenience of having the option of not getting water at all... If the family wants to sail around St. John, the 260 gallons would allow us to do that, as getting water in St. John is tricky since Cruz Bay is off-limits for IYC.

Also, the 440 has two heads which would be very convenient for a family of 5.

Thanks,

Doug
Doug,

I think it's all of about 3 miles from Cruz Bay to AYH by IYC where you could buy water. If you are on the the other side of St John, West End/ Sopers can be as close as 2 miles from Leinster, for example. Appreciate your desire for flexibility and hoping not to refill during your trip. You might just hover by the fresh water pump switch on the breaker panel and turn it off if a shower is running a bit too long. I assume those would motor at 7-8kts if you wanted to make a dash for water. It wouldn't take long with the short distances involved.

Enjoy your trip.

FYI--They are selling water and fuel in Great Harbour on Jost now too.
messer999 likes this.
Old 01-13-2012

Well... when I run out of water in about 4-5 days, I won't be just 3 miles from AYH. I probably would be on the south side of St. John (Lamsheur) if we stay in the USVI. If we go the BVI route, GH on JVD is a great option.

We can't go wrong with either boat, which makes the decision tricky. Thanks for the well-wishes, we certainly will have a good time either way.

Doug
Old 01-13-2012
Owl

-OvO- is on a distinguished road
Why is Cruz Bay off limits? Because of the commercial traffic? It's got a nice well-marked channel...
Old 01-13-2012

Most charter companies don't allow their charter boats to go in Cruz Bay. I've always thought it was because of the commercial traffic.
Old 01-13-2012

fallard is on a distinguished road
Over the years, I've got water twice in Cruz Bay on IYC yachts--a 350 and a 420. Just be careful that you check in with customs at Cruz Bay first, if you are coming in from the BVI.

I never heard that Cruz Bay was off limits, although it is understandable that the charter companies might not want some of their clientele in there. By the way, I will never again come into the rather rough face dock at customs: They charged me $26 and told me I could only stay 15 minutes and they meant it! Between the ferries and the excursion boats returning from the BVI, the traffic was pretty thick and I was grateful for the bow thruster on the IP 420.

A couple more thoughts: We went through 400 gallons of water in 7 days with 6 people aboard an IP 420. We all took showers every day and everyone said they were mindful of conservation. Our water stops on that trip were Virgin Gorda Yacht Harbor (Spanish Town) and Cruz Bay. As already stated, AYH is not that far from Cruz Bay, but we needed to check in at Cruz Bay and the water was available a hundred yards from customs.

Don't plan on an easy water stop if you go the to the Spanish Virgins. Last year I ended up buying a 5 gallon jerry can at the chandlery in Dewey and ferrying water by dinghy from the Dinghy Dock ($.25/g) to our boat anchored nearby. Skip thought we might find someone to let us tie up at their dock and run a hose, but that didn't happen. If you are really concerned about running out of water, bring a sun shower along.

Tags
bareboat , usvi