Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Chartering
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: St. Thomas - Road Town Ferry Service

I have used the prepaid taxi/ferry and would not do it again, at least not the prepaid taxi. It seems very confusing to them that you are already paid. Either that or they are simply trying to take advantage. I just said no firmly and they backed off. Corruption is a sport on St Thomas.

Also, i just remembered a taxi that we once took at night to go to dinner on St T. It was a more typical mini-van. The driver had a co-pilot, which seemed odd. Then they tried to sell us drugs and were giving us a hard time for saying no. While there are drugs in the BVI too, I've never had that happen there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-31-2012
Master & Commander

BoxedUp is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff54 View Post
This year we are going in early May and there are no non-stops to be had. Routing via Miami seems stable. Where is Jet Blue when you need them?
If you can't fly non-stop into St Thomas, was flying into Beef Island a viable alternative for you? That would take the ferry out of the equation. As previously mentioned, we used to take that route but at the present, the $$$ cost or lack of FF seats made it unattainable.
Old 03-31-2012
Master & Commander

BoxedUp is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I have used the prepaid taxi/ferry and would not do it again, at least not the prepaid taxi. It seems very confusing to them that you are already paid. Either that or they are simply trying to take advantage. I just said no firmly and they backed off. Corruption is a sport on St Thomas.
Did you have any supporting documentation with you to show that you had prepaid?
Old 03-31-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxedUp View Post
Did you have any supporting documentation with you to show that you had prepaid?
I may have had an invoice from the company that booked it for us that showed it was paid, but do not ever recall getting a ticket of any kind.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 03-31-2012
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

I have followed this thread with interest because Sunsail recommends that we prepay through them for the taxi and ferry. At this point, since our plane gets to St. T. in time for the last ferry, I think that's the only reason that I'd prepay, so that we don't have to waste time in line buying a ticket.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 03-31-2012

Geoff54 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxedUp View Post
If you can't fly non-stop into St Thomas, was flying into Beef Island a viable alternative for you? That would take the ferry out of the equation. As previously mentioned, we used to take that route but at the present, the $$$ cost or lack of FF seats made it unattainable.
Mainly an issue of cost, although friends who have flown via San Juan tell me that the puddle jumpers are at least as unreliable (time wise) as the ferries.
Old 03-31-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
I have followed this thread with interest because Sunsail recommends that we prepay through them for the taxi and ferry. At this point, since our plane gets to St. T. in time for the last ferry, I think that's the only reason that I'd prepay, so that we don't have to waste time in line buying a ticket.
That kind of schedule worries me down there. If either the flight or taxi are late and you miss that final ferry, you are stuck without a hotel in STT. That place loves people who are stuck. I've always booked long boring layovers. Beer, lunch, walking are always good if I stay on time.

Jeanneau 54DS

Old 03-31-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
We did the combined ticket last year but as you pick the tickets up at the ferry, it doesn't save any time. The St.Thomas end worked great but at Road Town the driver wasn't there. We finally got him to answer his phone and he sorted it out with another driver who was there. We are not going to buy combined tickets this year unless someone says that the "we'll hold the ferry for you" feature actually works, which I have always suspicious of anyway. As long as the flight is ontime, we'll still have plenty of time for a dockside pain killer while we wait.
Old 03-31-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
That kind of schedule worries me down there. If either the flight or taxi are late and you miss that final ferry, you are stuck without a hotel in STT. That place loves people who are stuck. I've always booked long boring layovers. Beer, lunch, walking are always good if I stay on time.
If you miss the regular ferry there is sometimes a 9:00pm ferry from Red Hook. It is only Thursday-Sunday and doesn't always run but it's worth remembering if you get stuck.
Old 03-31-2012
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Thanks, Geoff. That's great to know.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.