Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Chartering
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2012

decatur1945 is on a distinguished road
Re: St. Thomas - Road Town Ferry Service

I had always flown into Beef Island, but the last trip decided to fly into St T, get taxi and take ferry. Trouble was that, the flight didn't get there early enough to ensure getting the last ferry, and as someone said above, not a good idea to be "stuck" in St T. So we stayed in a somewhat shabby hotel, can't remember the name. I think unless there was a significant cost difference, I'd try to fly into Beef Island.

One time on a return trip, ended up having a day or 2 extra and stayed at a small place right next to the airport, decent place, clean, decent food. I actually enjoyed that, right on the beach, restful and comfortable. Although as I recall, quite expensive.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-10-2012
Master & Commander

BoxedUp is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by decatur1945 View Post
I think unless there was a significant cost difference, I'd try to fly into Beef Island.
How about 2X the cost of flying into STT! (from NY Metro area that is)

Well, thanks to all that have contributed to this thread and the most recent experience that Donna had with Road Town Fast Ferry, we just made our pre-paid arrangements with Sunsail for the round trip ferry/taxi service to Road Town. We're scheduled to arrive STT just after noon (no chance for the noon ferry) so we're pretty confident that we'll be on the 4:15PM ferry to Road Town, will give us a chance to grab a bite to eat and as long as I can keep the Admiral out of her favorite jewelery store on St T., we should have no problem catching the ferry.
Old 05-10-2012

Giantjunk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff54 View Post
American fly non-stop from Boston and New York, during high season and then drop most (all?) of those flights, usually mid-April. (Nobody seems to fly non-stop from D.C.) Last year we went in April and were able to fly non-stop on the way there but not on the way back.
In early April '12 we flew down on a Wed from IAD to STT on American through Miami and back on United/Continental non-stop on a Sunday. I think United operates a weekly non-stop down and back on Sundays from IAD.
Old 05-10-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Beyond the premium to fly into Beef Island, there are very few direct flights to it. Certainly, not like there are to STT. That can just trade the ferry connection issue, for a flight connection issue.

However, most connect in Puerto Rico, that I'm aware of. If you had to get stuck missing a connection, I think I might rather be stuck there than on STT.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 05-11-2012
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxedUp View Post
How about 2X the cost of flying into STT! (from NY Metro area that is)

Well, thanks to all that have contributed to this thread and the most recent experience that Donna had with Road Town Fast Ferry, we just made our pre-paid arrangements with Sunsail for the round trip ferry/taxi service to Road Town. We're scheduled to arrive STT just after noon (no chance for the noon ferry) so we're pretty confident that we'll be on the 4:15PM ferry to Road Town, will give us a chance to grab a bite to eat and as long as I can keep the Admiral out of her favorite jewelery store on St T., we should have no problem catching the ferry.
Your ticket will get you on any RTFF that's leaving. It isn't specific to a time. We arrived at the ferry terminal early for the 4:15 ferry and were herded on to the next one that was leaving (which didn't appear to be any of the scheduled times). Perhaps it wasn't filled. But we ended up getting to Tortola way ahead of schedule.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 05-11-2012

dongreerps is on a distinguished road

Flight schedules to STT from here are tough. The earliest arriving flight is uncomfortably close to departure time of the last ferry. Therefore over many trips we drifted to always flying into San Juan. We then spent the night in the motel in the terminal building in San Juan. We then caught the first flight out the next morning to Beef Island. Arrived fresh in Tortola, on "Island Time" with a whole day to get the boat organized, etc.
The motel is nothing special, but it is in the terminal building, so no hassle with taxis, etc. Two problems: if you arrive late evening, the airport restaurants (ugh) will be closed. Luggage. Smart move is to check luggage through to Beef Island. That means you will have to put a change of linen in your carry on.
Old 05-11-2012
WindyCitySailor

tombesore is on a distinguished road

I flew American Airlines from Miami to St. Thomas a couple of weeks ago, arranging to arrive in about 1pm. Unfortunately, our plane developed technical problems and had to return to Miami. They got us back to St. Thomas just in time to miss the last ferry.

As I was in the cab with twelve complete strangers headed to town, one affable fellow named Bruno suggested that I spend the night with him! Despite the danger of agreeing to this, I decided to throw caution to the wind and take him up on his offer! Best decision I ever made as we had a terrific time. I bought him a meal at the local pub and he put me up in his hillside apartment overlooking the bay at no charge. We were both on the phone to our significant other warning of our imminent death at the hands of the other!

Sometimes you just punt and rely in the goodness of humanity and a little good Karma! If anyone ever needs some great Italian Gloves in St. Thomas, I highly recommend Bruno's Olga Gloves in the Palm Passage shopping center.

The next morning I caught the first Roadtown Fast Ferry out of Charlotte Amalie and had a fine trip over to Tortola where a quick shot through customs and many taxi's awaited my arrival!
DRFerron and eddie nelson like this.
Old 05-29-2012

Geoff54 is on a distinguished road

I’m a bit late in posting this but we also had technical problems with our American flight from Miami on May 5th (trend here?) and missed the 4:15 ferry along with a whole bunch of other folk. I called Fast Ferry and the 4:15 had left at 4:45. Although we could have caught the 9:00pm from Red Hook, someone called Native Son and, when they heard that there were a bunch of us (someone said forty but I think it was actually less), they held the 5 o’clock ferry until we all got there. So we all piled into taxi vans to Red Hook and the ferry actually left just after 6:00. Of course we “lost” the prepaid fare on Fast Ferry but at least we arrived at a reasonable time.
So I’ve changed my mind and think TQA has the best approach – next time I will take the timetables and phone numbers for all the ferries and just get on the next one.