Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Chartering
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Why Beneteau/Jenneau, never Catalina?

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Thats about the only one, care to mention another that has any sort of market share, Don't mention island packet, tiny tiny numbers sold in Europe.

The reason you see European boats in charter and elsewhere is that European completely dominate sailboat manufacture. Just look at the number of manufacturers, including the giants of the industry.

The US per head of population has a very small sailing community, In Europe its considerably bigger. The big sectors in the US are small sports boats and in this the US dominates,( at least 6 big companies) outside of that it is a European game.

dave

Dave
You are right about the bigger interest in sailing in Europe and I agree that it gives to the European boat building a bigger dynamic. But we were talking about bias or not, versus a tendency to like more modern boats, opposed to a more North American conservative taste.

I think it is not by accident that the American boats with bigger acceptance in Europe are the JBoats. They are not only modern by design but also with technological advanced building techniques…and they are not cheap. You say that it is the only one but on a smaller scale Corsair trimarans also sell well in Europe, considering the proportion of boats sold in Europe and the US. Another modern design.

Yes you are right, Island Packards, Hunters, Catalinas and Tartan have tried to sell in the European market and even if the boats are known here, tested by sail magazines and on the main boat shows, they sell very few boats. The design of those boats is more conservative than the design of European boats and it is significant that the place where some sells happen is UK that has the most conservative market in Europe, in what regards sailing tastes and boats.

You can see that while European boat builders use the best designers all around to design their boats and the same brand uses many times different designers, including some Americans, American boat builders design the boats in the house or have traditional NA that design almost exclusively those boats.

That makes for a much bigger evolution on design versus a more typical product on the American market, meaning for instance that an Island Packet is a type of boat with design characteristics that have been maintained through the years while you cannot never know what is going to be or look like the next Benetau Oceanis or Benetau First, except that it is going to be designed by a top architect and is going to be actual, modern and it will sail very well.

Things seems to be changing on America and new Tartan or new Catalina look less similar to previous models but those factories did not yet gave the leap to command some of the best world NA to do their boat designs. I truly hope that it will happen soon. I think it would make American boats a lot more appealing and interesting, at least in what regards an European perspective and more modern for sure.

I really think that is the main reason, a difference in taste, more conservative versus a more modern one.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 04-26-2012 at 12:55 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-26-2012
Nearly an Old Salt

goboatingnow is on a distinguished road

I dont agree Paulo, its the size of the domestic market. Take sports boats, US manufacturers dominate the scene and they are not in any way conservative.

Equally European boats sell very well in the US, arguably well outselling US models. There is no real evidence that US customers like conservative boats. In fact the two mainstream US sailing manufacturers , Catalina and Hunter do not make conservative boats and those that do infact , did, as most have failed.

Island packet sell a few boats in the Uk because the language barrier isn't there, the british are not any more or less conservative then elsewhere in Europe. The Scandinavians make a very high quality slightly more conservative boat, as befits everything they make , They have been moderately successful in most European markets.

The US sailing boat market is comparitively small, is is not conservative, well no more then any other. Thats the main factor.

Dave
Old 04-26-2012

MikeinLA is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by armandolio View Post
I am considering buying a boat to put into charter in the east coast or Caribbean. It seems like the major charter companies only use Beneteau and Jenneau, some Bavaria.

Out of all the production boats I have seen, the Catalinas appeal to me the most.

What does it say about Catalina that charter companies do not use them? What does it say about the others?
Personally, I think it reflects the fact that we Catalina owners love our boats SO MUCH that we would never consider putting them in charter and missing even a day of sailing them. I might, however, be biased.

Mike
Old 04-26-2012

armandolio is on a distinguished road

MikeinLa, I think you are a bit biased. But I can appreciate the enthusiasm!!