Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Chartering
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2012

armandolio is on a distinguished road
Why Beneteau/Jenneau, never Catalina?

I am considering buying a boat to put into charter in the east coast or Caribbean. It seems like the major charter companies only use Beneteau and Jenneau, some Bavaria.

Out of all the production boats I have seen, the Catalinas appeal to me the most.

What does it say about Catalina that charter companies do not use them? What does it say about the others?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-20-2012
Battered and Bruised

Silvio is on a distinguished road
Re: Why Beneteau/Jenneau, never Catalina?

Probably says no more than the charter company's were able to negotiate a favorable purchase program with the Beneteau Group over other manufacturers. I don't think I would draw any more conclusions than that but maybe I'm wrong.
Old 04-20-2012

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvio View Post
Probably says no more than the charter company's were able to negotiate a favorable purchase program with the Beneteau Group over other manufacturers. I don't think I would draw any more conclusions than that but maybe I'm wrong.
+1.

Beneteau is a much larger company than Catalina and probably has greater ability to build to the Charter companies specifications, as well as sell at a deeper discount than Catalina.

When we were shopping we looked a lot of both boats and the pro's and con's of each brand seemed pretty even to where it came to to personal preference and how you weighed the trade offs each builder chose to hit similar price points.
Old 04-25-2012

tomandchris is on a distinguished road

When considering the charter in the BVI's route I was told that the French government offered tax credits to Bene/Jeaneau that dramatically lowered the price for boats destined for these destinations.. In addition, they offer the ability to customize the product for the charter market...thus more cabins and heads than production boats.

If you look at boats in the charter fleets in the US you will find a mix with the Catalina, Bene, Jenneau fairly evenly mixed
Old 04-25-2012

celenoglu is on a distinguished road

Benettau and Jeanneau are real production boats. Each firm finishes approximately 17 boats per day. Their main market is charter. They produce small floating hotels.
Old 04-25-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Also, European charter customers have a bias towards Euro boats a) because they are familiar and b ) because of a perceived quality bias over American boats.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-25-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by celenoglu View Post
Benettau and Jeanneau are real production boats. Each firm finishes approximately 17 boats per day. Their main market is charter. They produce small floating hotels.
Their main market is charter implies that the majority of their boats are sold to charter companies. That is obviously not true. Compared to the total sales it is a small but significant percentage.

Regards

Paulo
Old 04-25-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
Also, European charter customers have a bias towards Euro boats a) because they are familiar and b ) because of a perceived quality bias over American boats.
I don't think that is the point. Some American boats are very popular in Europe in their segment: J boats is an example. They are even made in France.

The point is that Europeans like more modern designed boats and Americans have a more traditional taste. I din't think you can call that a Bias, more a tendency.

That of course can explain why American boats are not used to charter in Europe but would not explain why on the Caribbean almost all charters are European designed boats, many made in the USA.

Charter companies buy the boats that they can put at the better price on charter, boats that the customers what to sail and boats that give them a good durability and value when they sell them 5 or 6 years later. On other words, the boats that offer them a better profit.

I guess the reason you see a lot more Beneteaus than Catalinas doing charter in America is the same reason that gives a much bigger market share to Beneteaus sold in America to private customers compared to Catalina.

But there are some Catalinas doing charter:

Bareboat Sailboat Charters | Maryland Eastern Shore Chesapeake Bay | Rock Hall Maryland

The reason there are not more is that their value on charter for week is about the same as Beneteaus, meaning that people want to sail as much on a Catalina as on a Beneteau and as a Beneteau are less expensive....the profit is bigger.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 04-25-2012 at 02:36 PM.
Old 04-25-2012

armandolio is on a distinguished road

Your answer makes a lot sense Paulo
Old 04-26-2012
Nearly an Old Salt

goboatingnow is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I don't think that is the point. Some American boats are very popular in Europe in their segment: J boats is an example. They are even made in France.
Thats about the only one, care to mention another that has any sort of market share, Don't mention island packet, tiny tiny numbers sold in Europe.

The reason you see European boats in charter and elsewhere is that European completely dominate sailboat manufacture. Just look at the number of manufacturers, including the giants of the industry.

The US per head of population has a very small sailing community, In Europe its considerably bigger. The big sectors in the US are small sports boats and in this the US dominates,( at least 6 big companies) outside of that it is a European game.

dave

Dave

Last edited by goboatingnow; 04-26-2012 at 11:51 AM.