SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Chartering (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/chartering/)
-   -   Going BVI in May thinking about St Lucia in July (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/chartering/86778-going-bvi-may-thinking-about-st-lucia-july.html)

eddie nelson 04-28-2012 05:28 PM

Going BVI in May thinking about St Lucia in July

Ok Im needing some info on cruising around St Lucia and St Vincent. My wife and I are chartering out of St Thomas in May and possibly want to charter further south in July. We have never been to the VI so we may go back but want to explore other options. Has anyone been to the area of St L and St V and what did you think about it compared to the VI? We are also considering Belize.

Tell me where you've been and what you liked and or disliked.

Thanks

eddie

jppp 04-28-2012 08:34 PM

Re: Going BVI in May thinking about St Lucia in July

I've sailed the Windwards many years ago with my dad. Martinique, St Lucia, St Vincent, Mustique, Carriacou. It was another world. Amazing trip. Marigot Bay was a blast. I still dream about that trip and it was 35 years ago. I remember we were motoring up a narrow river in St Lucia. As we passed what looked like a small dock we slowed down and my father yelled at someone I could not see, as they were in some small hut on the dock. They yelled back something and then my father yelled at us, "Chicken or fish?" He took the head count and yelled it back to them. We continued up the river a short ways and anchored. Later we packed the dinghy with wine and beer and went back to the dock for dinner under the stars on the dock. I had the chicken. The whole trip was like that. Remote and intoxicating. I miss my dad.

eddie nelson 04-28-2012 09:14 PM

Oh my god! Thank you so much for sharing that! That does sound amazing. Unforgettable.

TQA 04-28-2012 09:51 PM

I would look at Moorings from Canouan. You are in the heart of the best cruising area St Vincent down to Carriacou.

Second would be a charter out of Blue Lagoon St Vincent.

eddie nelson 04-29-2012 08:52 AM

Thank you TQA. It sounds amazing!

speciald 04-29-2012 10:26 AM

The VI's are like lake sailing. You can run the whole chain in one day. Most of the sailing is protected and navigation is by eyesight. From St. Lucia, you will be doing a lot mors open water sailing. At this moment, here in Sint Maarten - the seas are about 10 feet and the wind is 18-20 knots but the Sunsail boats are still leaving Oyster Pond for their charter vacation.

TQA 04-29-2012 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by speciald (Post 864708)
The VI's are like lake sailing. You can run the whole chain in one day. Most of the sailing is protected and navigation is by eyesight. From St. Lucia, you will be doing a lot mors open water sailing. At this moment, here in Sint Maarten - the seas are about 10 feet and the wind is 18-20 knots but the Sunsail boats are still leaving Oyster Pond for their charter vacation.

Err this is normal sailing weather in the Windward and Leeward islands. You just tuck in a reef in the main and go.

But he good news for the July Charter is that the reinforced trades AKA Christmas Winds are not likely so the 25 to 35 knot steady trades will not be blowing.

The bad news is that there is a risk of a storm/hurricane in July.

eddie nelson 04-29-2012 04:12 PM

Im definitely putting it on my list of places to go. Not sure if Im going to go this July or not. Im going to wait till I get back from the VI's and make a decision then. Thanks for the info on that area. I have checked into flights to Bridgetown and briefly looked at some of the charter options. I would rather charter from the island we are flying into rather then catching a puddle jumper or ferrying to another island to charter.

Bamazeb 04-29-2012 05:38 PM

See the SN Thread on the Belize Pirate Attack........

rgscpat 05-01-2012 02:09 AM

Why would someone travel 1400 nautical miles from the Virgin Islands to attack pirates in Belize?