SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Chartering (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/chartering/)
-   -   BVI's must see (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/chartering/87135-bvis-must-see.html)

rjcaudle 05-08-2012 12:12 AM

BVI's must see

Greetings all.

Chartering for 5 days out of Tortola next week. Have been there once. So, would like to know the 5 day and 5 night travel to spots from the experienced out there.

Day

1. The Baths
2. The Indians for snorkeling

Night

1. Foxy's

Help me fill in my wish list. Will have my spousal unit and college age daughter on 38 ft Athena cat.

Rjc

Tempest 05-08-2012 07:34 AM

Re: BVI's must see

This has been covered pretty extensively here, and you'll get alot of different takes.

I'll offer you my must do list: If you go counter clockwise around Tortola.

Baths for the 1st morning ( take the dinghy to the dinghy mooring and swim ashore) .
If it's a little rough, remember to bring a life jacket for any less than confident swimmers.

Then on to Virgin Gorda and the Bitter end. The english pub is a good spot for a burger and a beer.

Then around the Island to Cane Garden Bay.. Great beach, Myetts makes a nice Pain Killer.
( if there's a big swell going, save this for a better day) and tie up the dinghy carefully.

Then Across to Jost Van Dyke and Foxy's or do the above visa versa.

Then back through the cut to Sopher's Hole, get water, fuel, Let the ladies shop.

Then head over to Norman island stop by the caves 1st and do some snorkeling
( grab a mooring there) Then into the Bay for the night.

I think I left a day in there...to explore another island along that route.

We like hiking to the top of all the islands ( it's really a walk)

I suggest trying to get on your evening mooring by 2 or 3 in the afternoon. After that you'll find yourself with a longer dinghy ride....which isn't the end of the world..after all you're in paradise.

If you feel adventurous and the weather is right you could head to Anagada after the Virgin Gorda and the Bitter end. if you do, get there early to grab a mooring and keep a close eye on the entrance. The lobster is a must.

Have a blast!

DRFerron 05-08-2012 11:06 AM

We just returned and had a fabulous time at all of our stops. We had a vague notion of what we wanted to do but otherwise we decided the night before where to go the next day.

Foxy's is on your list. I discovered that there are three of them in the BVI. We visited Foxy's Taboo on Diamond Cay and had a fantastic meal (*ask* the price of the fish special before ordering) and a nice hike to the bubbly pool. Also found a former brothel.

And yes, if you check the Destinations area of Sailnet, there are plenty of recommendations. I would suggest ignoring the posts that say the food sucks. We had fantastic meals every night at the restaurants we went to and our dinghy barely floated we were so full.

FlyingJunior 06-02-2012 05:09 PM

- Loblolly Beach on Anageda
- Hike to top of Norman Island
- Crazy Parties at night on the Willy T (boat/barge) on Norman Island
- Ivan's to hang and beach during the day on Jost - doesn't get the crazy day-people over from St. John as much
- Snorkel among the Indians near Cooper

claire.giulini 06-25-2012 03:51 PM

We were in BVI a month ago & it's beautiful. Although, it was our first sailing destination, Offshore Sailing School really helped us to learn more about sailing.
We started our sail from Tortola to Cooper then to Virgin Gorda to Norman Island. It's been wonderful journey.:)

dprudden 06-28-2012 05:18 PM

2 other nice lunch stops are Monkey Point-inside White Bay (good snorkeling) and Sandy Cay

sailortrash 09-04-2012 03:02 AM

Soggy dollar bar on jost the bat cave Cane garden bay

Zanshin 09-04-2012 10:29 AM

I hope that the original poster comes back here and reports on their itinerary _and_ fun level.

Tim R. 09-04-2012 12:51 PM

I know this is an old post but I thought I would add our info from a couple years ago. We did St. Vincent and the Grenadines in 2010 but are returning to the BVIs for St. Patty's day in 2013.

And I just received my packet from Ed Hamilton.

We liked the following:
The caves(Norman)
The baths(go early in the morning and pickup a mooring near the cove)
Foxy's Taboo(Little Jost)
One love bar(Jost)
Ivans(Jost)
Willy Ts and Pirate Cove(Norman)

Next time will likely skip:
Cooper I
Anagada

Next time will try to get to:
Cane Garden Bay
Foxy's(although we met Foxy through a local we hung out with)

You will not have time to go to Anagada but it isn't that special. We enjoyed the snorkeling and dinner but it is a flat sandy island unlike the rest of the islands.

Link to photos BVI Charter 2009

http://tkronaboat.com/Photos/BVI%20C...detail_map.jpg

GufShoz 09-13-2012 10:26 AM

What's everyone's opinion on going to Anegada?