SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Chartering (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/chartering/)
-   -   Can you charter one way ? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/chartering/89979-can-you-charter-one-way.html)

lapworth 07-21-2012 05:13 PM

Can you charter one way ?

Can you Charter a boat from Annapolis to say Bermuda just one way?

jackdale 07-22-2012 04:46 PM

Re: Can you charter one way ?

Blue water bareboat charters are rare. I have done one charters in Turkey and the Leewards.

But if you do not ask ....

Capt.aaron 07-22-2012 07:12 PM

I know you can charter from Miami to key West one way from Fla. Yacht Charters. They pay delivery capt.'s a pittance to sail them back up to Miami....I doubt you can charter a boat one way to Bermuda, 99.9999 % sure you can't....so I guess that means I don't know. If you can it's probably so expensive, you could afford to just by a boat and pay some one to bring it back for you.

rgscpat 07-23-2012 05:32 AM

Maybe a different tack to take would be to find out which fleets re-position their boats seasonally and arrange to crew/go on the re-positioning run with the delivery captain?

Mike Huston 07-28-2012 11:43 PM

Sorry to be a bit late with this reply. I own a boat in a charter fleet in Bellingham, WA. and the company we are with has one way charters to Desolation Sound in the fall and frequently to or from Alaska in the spring/summer. I know these are not truly blue water but these cruising grounds are assume.

Good luck,
Mike

tomandchris 07-29-2012 01:45 PM

They are a business. You can probably make almost any arrangement...as long as you are willing to pay for it!

Mike Huston 07-29-2012 03:32 PM

While what you say is true I listed these two because they have no additional costs involved. The one to Desolation Sound is a two or three week charter (your choice) and the Alaska one it 4 -6 weeks. The reason there are no extra costs is because the owners are doing the trip the other direction.

Mike

capta 07-29-2012 03:32 PM

Just out of curiosity, why would you want to sail to Bermuda without needing to; like if you are on your way to the Caribbean?
Newport to Bermuda is not a sail to be undertaken lightly & certainly not on a bareboat; they are just not maintained to ocean crossing standards. I've delivered many many bareboats to & from the Caribbean & I've spent many, many hours of those deliveries fixing things that really should have been fixed as general maintenance. Before you all out there jump all over me about taking a boat that's not up to par offshore, you are probably NOT professional sailors. If you want to work in this industry, especially doing bareboat deliveries, one must take whatever boat is offered, without complaint & say thank you, very very much, very very often, or you will not be offered another boat EVER AGAIN, & someone else will do the delivery (& all future deliveries).
Anyway back to the original question, you must cross the Gulf Stream & that can be a pretty difficult trip (see the tales of last year's southerly migration via Bermuda: 2011 North American Rally to the Caribbean (NARC); 2 boats abandoned, several people hurt & one fatality.
Fly over & rent a bareboat there.

Capt.aaron 07-29-2012 06:03 PM

Almost every delivery I've been asked to do was because the boat had something wrong with it.

SVAuspicious 07-29-2012 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by capta (Post 902753)
Just out of curiosity, why would you want to sail to Bermuda without needing to; like if you are on your way to the Caribbean?

Newport or Norfolk to Bermuda is a common "first offshore" for lots of people. I'm not sure I'd recommend it on a charter boat, but the route is fine. The biggest problem with it is that at only four or five days it isn't long enough. *grin* You just get in the groove and you're there.

Heading for the Caribbean most skippers aim for Bermuda and miss. No point in stopping in St Georges if your goal is Nanny Cay. *grin*