SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Chartering (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/chartering/)
-   -   Staying in BVI or US VI (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/chartering/91559-staying-bvi-us-vi.html)

alex_sauvage 08-31-2012 12:16 PM

Staying in BVI or US VI

I apologize in advance if some will consider it's not a suitable place for this question, but I believe some of you might be able to help me.
I am looking to charter a boat in BVI and to fly in/out of St Thomas and would like to spent 2-3 days on shore before or after the trip.
Can anybody recommend a nice place to stay either in Tortola or US VI, preferably on a seaside??? And would it be better to stay in BVI or US VI?
I have been in Tortola before and it looks pretty nice, but I heard a few horror stories about US VI while lurking on this forum. Is it really so unsafe or it's mostly in the urban part, and seaside resorts are OK?
Thanks for your help.

johnnyquest37 08-31-2012 01:08 PM

Re: Staying in BVI or US VI

Last time I chartered out of Tortola, I stayed at a hotel right at the Moorings. I thought it was pretty nice. New Moorings Village on Tortola | The Moorings

If you are chartering in the BVIs, I'd recommend you stay there just for convience sake. I'm sure others will recommend the USVI, and I can't fault them. Just what I'd do.

nkamper 08-31-2012 01:58 PM

You can fly in & out of Tortola, which may be more convenient if you are cruising the BVIs. Cane Garden Bay, on Tortola, is a lovely place and has rental places.

Tim R. 08-31-2012 03:28 PM

We are chartering a couple of monos from BVIYC next March. We are flying thru St. Thomas and taking the ferry. This was more convenient for us based on times of direct flights from Boston. We are staying 3 extra days in Tortola at the Sugar Mill Hotel. I have not stayed here before but it gets good reviews.

captainjay 09-01-2012 10:44 AM

Given three days I would be looking at St John, the nicest island in the chain US or British. It is a simply ferry ride from Red Hook to St John, the you can catch a ferry to Tortola from St John when it's time to go to Tortola. For a short stay look at Grande Bay or Gallows Bay right in Cruz Bay.

I also wouldn't rule out just renting the boat in USVI and spending the whole time on board. Cruise both US and British Islands. For the record I work for CYOA in St Thomas.
Jay

denverd0n 09-01-2012 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nkamper (Post 916480)
You can fly in & out of Tortola, which may be more convenient if you are cruising the BVIs. Cane Garden Bay, on Tortola, is a lovely place and has rental places.

I'm sure it depends on where you start, but from Tampa, flights to Tortola are expensive! I can fly into STT and then take the ferry for several hundred dollars less than a flight to Beef Island.

alex_sauvage 09-04-2012 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by denverd0n (Post 916829)
I'm sure it depends on where you start, but from Tampa, flights to Tortola are expensive! I can fly into STT and then take the ferry for several hundred dollars less than a flight to Beef Island.

This is exactly why I want to fly to US VI: it is generally cheaper and way more flights giving more flexibility. Only problem: a lot of flights land late afternoon when last ferry (4.30?) is gone, so I am thinking staying for a couple of days there, then taking ferry to Tortola.
Unfortunately, sailing from US VI is not an option: I am probably going with flotilla and the only one in VI sails from BVI.

CLucas 09-04-2012 02:17 PM

Can recommend two places on St. Thomas...
1. Marriot Frenchman's Reef -- pretty high-end, but you get what you pay for. (15+ minutes to Charlotte Amalie Ferry Terminal)
2. Best Western Emerald Bay -- walking distance from the St Thomas airport (or a *very* short cab ride). Not as nice as the Marriott, but a fantastic beach with great snorkeling. A little funky, but still decent. Not inexpensive, but cheaper than Frenchman's Reef. (10 minutes to Charlotte Amalie Ferry Terminal).

I stayed at both earlier this summer before and after a charter out of BVI. The Mooring's Mariner Inn looks like nothing special -- no beach, a mediocre pool and waaaay overpriced restaurant.

Tempest 09-04-2012 03:57 PM

I always stay an extra day on St Thomas rather than rush to the airport after a charter.

I stay at Marriot's Frenchman's Reef...Like it alot,

seaojoe 09-05-2012 03:30 AM

Sebastians in Tortola. Enjoy their beachfront view.