Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Chartering
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2012

joet13 is on a distinguished road
Re: BVI budget

Steve,

Hope you guys don't run me off, but I drive one of those things without sails...nonetheless, it's gets me on the water. Here are costs I've put together for my third charter in the BVI's. I break down into
Boat Charter
Flights
Incidentals
Drinks and Food
Rental Gear
Lodging other than boat.

We have found that doing our own shopping is best. And not in Roadtown! We will be going to Soper's hole as soon as I can cast off to provision. We will provision for around 4 days, then restock. Everyone buys their own provisions. For incidentals such as mooring, ice, water, fuel, I designate a purser who gathers $300 in cash from each couple the first day upon stepping on board. That way there is no worry on whose turn it is to pay for fuel or ice...etc. At the end of the trip, we redistribute any monies left over. We all seem to be in line with around $500 per person to eat and drink for 7 days. It's a pretty even split between eating out and dining on board for dinner. Almost all lunches are on board, as well as breakfast. Usually, we do eat lunch at the Restaurant on top of the hill when we visit the Baths. Since we spend a little more on fuel, ($500), our trips are running around $5500 per couple for 4 couples on a PowerCat 474.

Capt. Joe
Attached Thumbnails
BVI budget-bvi-costs.jpg  
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-18-2012

SteveInMD is on a distinguished road

Capt. Joe -

Sail, power, paddle boat, whatever it takes! Thanks for sharing.

-Steve
Old 10-20-2012

NVCATS is on a distinguished road

You can test provision online at.. I can't post links yet but you can find them on google easy just type BVI with the naes below

Tico is best for booze

Rite Way is higher end rood and huge store

Bobbys is a bit cheaper than riteway for the basics

All deliver for free

We long term charter with a company called Seabbatical long term charters great company. To save money you can bring a cooler full of your favorite meats since they are crazy prices down there. there is a packing technique to getting it there still frozen...I put the info on the F&Q page of Seabbaticals new website. This company will also help keep your budget under control.
Old 10-20-2012
No more curry buffets

Ritchard is on a distinguished road

Great thread. I am going again in March as well. Last time (our first visit) was on a huge crewed cat; this time we'll be going on a more modest bareboat monohull. Your opinions on provisioning are very valuable.

I also will chime in with a +1 for Top of the Baths, it's worth it for the terrace view alone, what a nice spot. It's the only restaurant I have ever been to with a pool. As well, I think my favourite night of the last trip was Bitter End Yacht Club. We blew some serious dough, but what a memorable evening.
Old 10-20-2012

here are some other exspenses

BVI Cruising Tax: $2 per person per day (High season 12/1-4/30) $.75 per person per day (low season 5/1-11/30)
National Parks Permit: $25 per week up to 4 persons
$5 per week for each additional person.
Airport Departure Tax: $20 per person
Old 11-14-2012

schwalbe is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
1. Food
4. Mooring
Most charterers prefer to use mooring balls, which will run to $25 per night (it is recommended to dive on these to make sure that they haven't been chewed up by props). Some anchorages have little or no room for anchoring (The Bight - unless you have enough chain to anchor in 50-60 feet, which no charter boat does) and others don't have great holding (Great Harbour on Jost van Dyke, which now has mooring balls).

Some places ( The Bight and Bitter End come to mind ) have raised their prices to $30 for mooring balls. Sprat Bay charges $60 I believe - I have not taken them up on it. "Moor Seacure" seems to do a pretty good job maintaining moorings - I don't check them as a matter of course.

Ice at $4 to $8 in the BVI is still cheaper than in the Grenadines where I've been quoted up to $16 for a bag (I passed).
Old 11-14-2012

joet13 is on a distinguished road

We just returned from our trip!!! Awesome time. But Sandy sent some huge swells to the BVI's out of the Northwest! The flags at the Baths were Red, so not only no swimming, but according to the guides, you are not even supposed to use the day mooring balls! A group of older travelers were actually loaded up in their dinghy and headed ashore with huge breakers hitting the rocks, but we talked them out of attemping it. It was really cool to see the Baths in that state, but we went by car. This also got us aquainted with "Hog Heaven", a must-do spot at night, especially if you moor at Leverick Bay and have a moon-lite night. Try to bring a good camera and tripod with you for some beautiful shots of the entire sound and Saba Rock, as you're 1300 ft up on the hill. Back to provisioning, we saw the big new Rite-way store in Roadtown, and they told us that since they supplied all stores as a warehouse, it would be as good or better than the one in Soper's Hole. So off the ladies went to shop....WRONG...After visiting Soper's Hole later in the week, they all agreed that the Soper's hole store was a much better store, with fresher inventory...go figure..maybe they get first pick! Also, as far as Sprat's Bay is concerned, I had never been there, and with the huge swells at the beginning of our trip and some newbies on board, I decided to stay there the first night since it is so well protected. One thing for sure, after staying there one night, everything seems cheap after that! Mooring balls $65, WATER $1.00 p/gal, and food at Deadmans Beach Bar and Grill simply outrageous and terrible....Try a SMALL bowl of Gumbo for $44.00...that tasted and looked somewhat like etouffee...course I'm from the gulf coast, so shouldn't have tried that anyhow. On the good side, Sprat bay was very quiet, did some neat snorkeling and could see the birds and huge tarpon going after the millions of bait fish...To top it off, for you old folks like me, the small stone structure out over the water on the southwest shore is actually an old timey outhouse!!!! It had separate women and men sections!!!

Remember, the best deal on mooring is still at Saba Rock, I think $30 for balls, but 1 bag of ice and 250 GALLONS of water free. That alone pays for the mooring. And spending a little romatic time on the beach on the other side of the rock (in a hammock) is incredible.
Old 11-14-2012

wise move on the baths... do not enter with big swells. Thanks for the info on Mooring costs... I usually only pic one up is there is coral or grass beds, stay in the sand and your Aok. thanks for the info on Sopers hole Rightway shopping
Old 11-14-2012

Joet13 how was the WIFI connections?
Old 11-17-2012

RealityCheck is on a distinguished road

All should be aware that almost ALL mooring are now $30.00 / night and higher at some locations.

The store at Sopers Hole / Marina Market IS a RiteWay store as is the smaller one in Fat Hog bay that is accessible by dink. The New Main Store near Moorings and Sunsail is the largest and generally less expensive store on the island.

For short term charters of less than 10 days, you should prearrange provisioning to save time to be out on the water away from the charter companies. The back of Road Town Harbour is known locally as Cocka Bay for good reasons.

If you do not know how to properly anchor in the local conditions, do use the mooring balls. All the bottoms are NOT just soft sand. Only anchor over sand and dive the hook to make sure it is in... and this will often be 30+ feet. DO NOT attempt to anchor in FRONT of another boat unless you have double the swing distance as many locations will back wind near sundown and rise and you could end up stern to stern with a near by boat in the dark.

DO NOT ALLOW KIDS to run around the boat while underway or in the process of anchoring or picking up a mooring... or when leaving one. Just Yesterday I witnessed one kid about 6 fall off a Charter Cat and had is Dad almost run over him due to his lack of skills with the boat and probably general lack of skill and total lack of responsibility for his "crew"/ family.

Have fun on a Vacation but remember not everyone near by is on Your vacation and YOUR vacation is NO reason to make everyone else's day a problem. Many boaters will not set by quietly and allow some unqualified boat handler endanger their boat or crew just because that boat has people on Vacation and think the rules do not apply.

You have no idea what expensive is until you find you are not able to leave the island due to something wrong you did while in the Vacation mind instead of using your brain full time while aboard.

A general rule return visitors have is to bring half as much stuff down and twice as much Money to spend while here... as a minimum everything except some booze will be at least 20% higher than in the US just because of import fees... add to that convenience fees for another 15% in resort locations.
MIdreaming and NVCATS like this.