well said Reality Check
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-17-2012
Freedom 39

FarCry is on a distinguished road
Re: BVI budget

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityCheck View Post
All should be aware that almost ALL mooring are now $30.00 / night and higher at some locations.
I was aware that Soper's/West End, Bight and Bitter End moorings were $30. Where else besides Sprat are they more than $25/night?
Old 11-20-2012

denverd0n is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarCry View Post
I was aware that Soper's/West End, Bight and Bitter End moorings were $30. Where else besides Sprat are they more than $25/night?
Coopers Island, Marina Cay, Saba Rock, at the least (I just got back a couple of days ago). But like someone else said, at Saba Rock it is well worth it. Nice clean facilities, free water, free ice, a very reasonably priced restaurant with extremely good food.

We stopped at Marina Cay for the first time on this trip. I cannot for the life of me understand why I see it recommended so often. The mooring was nice enough, but the bathrooms and showers on the island were absolutely DISGUSTING! If I were the regional director for Pussers I would close down that shop, because just being associated with that place is a taint on the name as far as I'm concerned.
Old 12-06-2012

sachingautham911 is on a distinguished road

Every contribution is very valuable here. And a general kind of approach is better to ask for friends who had been in British Virgin Islands. Because their experience are real and they will give you a proper guidance.

Last edited by sachingautham911; 12-06-2012 at 07:52 AM. Reason: smiley
Old 01-09-2013

NVCATS is on a distinguished road

We just returned for a 26 day charter with Seabbatical and had a great time. we provisioned ourselves after pondering extensively if we should use the pre order service the stores offer, which works out to $30PP for just food. We actually started saving money even before we landed at Beef Island Airport. We arranged a car rental with DEDE Car rental 3days for $119 and he was waiting for us when the plane landed at 8pm (remember to drive on the left hand side). We chose to take the sleep aboard option instead of a hotel usually $150 a nite for the boat, we got it for free Ron the Manager is a great guy. So we saved on taxi from the airport and driving around town to self provision pretty much paid for the car and then some. Part of our group arrived the next day so we also picked them up and saved another $40 cab ride. We returned the car after 2 days and headed out. On with Provisioning... protein is crazy expensive and not very nice in the BVI so we packed a cooler with our protein at home and with 5lbs of dry ice, all was still rock solid when we got to the boat. You can carry up to 40lbs of meat into the BVI. Duties were $15 on a $300 invoice. We went to Riteway to provision fresh and dry foods and spent $700 and were able to buy what was on sale, which you can't do it you pre-provision. Booze was from Tico and pre-ordered but we picked it up and added a few other fun bottles total was $500. We shopped in Virgin Gorda at Bucksin the marina half way through our 26 day charter and spent another $400. Local lamb is very cheap and very nice local beef is also very nice and affordable, so don't be shy buy local. Boat extra costs... I personally don't like mooring balls since they can fail and you will never know till it is to late and their very noisy at night sometimes. They don't make anchoring easy in a few places with the number of balls but I am persistent and worked through it. I did use moorings at Saba Rock so we could get free water and a bag of Ice and did the same in Leverek bay to do laundry and fill up water and get ice again on the second trip to North sound. All in all we were only 4 people on our Seabbatical Leopard 45 and provisioning was $25 PP including Drink. Here is another tip... what to mix the booze with... I took a lot of green tea bags with me and made sun tea mixed with raspberry tea. Fruit juice and pop is just 2 expensive $1.50 a can and sweet for us serious drinkers red strip beer is the best value and is Gordons Vodka. Watch the wine we had a lot of corking issues with the cheap stuff -$10... the better wines +$12 were ok You can get Ginger beer to mix with beer to make different tastes..remember we were out there for 26days everything gets a little old as time goes on.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

Last edited by NVCATS; 01-09-2013 at 03:14 PM. Reason: added more
Old 01-09-2013

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

26 days at $25 pp including drinks is excellent!well done!
Old 01-09-2013

WIFI We purchased a new nexus 7 hspa tablet for the Seabbatical for the owner and it stayed on the boat when we left. We purchased a sim card at Digicel and we have Data everywhere except Norman island bight. if your tablet is unlocked you can purchase a sim card and it works slick. We were there for 26 days and we got a $50 card... we posted to facebook (S&M In The BVI) Checkout our trip on our page...we swam with wild dolphin at the baths and saw the flock of Flamingos at Anegada..see the pics. We checked email all the time and chatted with friends back home via FB as well we still had time on the card when we left. If your there for a week or 2 you can get a $20 data card and never run out.... We didn't want to go home

Last edited by NVCATS; 01-09-2013 at 03:34 PM.
Old 01-09-2013

that is perday of course BURP
Old 01-10-2013
Puget Sound Pounder

kellysails is on a distinguished road

I wrote a detailed trip report from our last BVI adventure. A bit wordy but you might find it helpful.

BVIPirate - View topic - BVI trip report May 2010
Old 01-13-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

We just got back from BVI today. A few comments:

We did mooring balls every night. They were all $30 - Trellis Bay, Bitter End, Marina Cay, Jost Grand Harbour/White Beach, Bight.

I agree that the Marina Cay showers were disgusting, and were out of order anyway. We did all our showers on the boat. With some conservation, the three of us made it through the whole week without topping off the water tanks. In future years, we'll try to make the run to Saba Rock at the midpoint so we can top off the water tanks.

We provisioned ourselves. We like to inspect our food before we buy. The checkout skipper was due at 0830 Saturday morning, so we walked from Sunsail to Riteway at 0700 and had plenty of time to walk back before 0830.

We also planned very carefully and had exactly the right amount for one meal every day on the boat. I suspect that people who order online may tend to overbuy.

We rented a phone to check on things at home, but did not buy data. We found free WiFi at almost every restaurant where we stopped, and a couple places had reception out to the mooring balls. That was good enough for us.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)