SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Chartering (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/chartering/)
-   -   BVI Crusing Guides/Info (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/chartering/92993-bvi-crusing-guides-info.html)

Carlsbad Sailor 10-11-2012 07:42 PM

BVI Crusing Guides/Info

Hello,

I'm new to chartering and my wife and I have a bareboat charter for the BVI's planned 11/30/12 to 12/08/12. Which cruising guides are recommended? My wife and I are adventurous but not daredevils (good snorkel spots, fun sailing passages, etc) and we enjoy local food/culture. Is any guide better than others? I've heard of the Scott Guides. Also, any must see or should avoid suggestions? Thanks!

Tim R. 10-11-2012 09:22 PM

Re: BVI Crusing Guides/Info

Most charter companies offer them. Some free, some not. Your charter company will also give you a briefing and likely a pretty good itinerary. If it is your first time there, it is probably wise to follow it. What company did you book with?

Carlsbad Sailor 10-13-2012 08:16 PM

Thanks for the reply. I've booked with the Moorings. They do not send a cruising guide but have a link to the Scott guide.

bobnpaula 10-17-2012 09:59 PM

The Scotts guide is great, with detailed information and sketch charts for major anchorages. We have used Sunsail and Horizons,and they both have the guide on board for you when you arrive, but we get one of our own once we have booked the charter (Amazon) to read in advance at home for planning purposes and area familiarization. Tim is right, they will give you suggestions for an itinerary during the briefings, and as a first-timer it is good to listen to their suggestions.
Enjoy your charter!

NVCATS 10-21-2012 10:16 AM

Chris Doyles guide's have a lot of detail and photos of approaches

gtod25 10-21-2012 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NVCATS (Post 936595)
Chris Doyles guide's have a lot of detail and photos of approaches

Yes, but not of the VI's. That is the Scott guide by the same company.

Our Guides | Cruising Guides

NVCATS 10-21-2012 10:44 AM

I have never looked at his Doyles guide for the USVI... just looked at your link... yes i have used your guides as well was a long time ago when I lived in the BVI but they were very good guides as well.

NVCATS 10-21-2012 10:47 AM

I would be happy to put your info on our Leeward Islands guide for free of course

Cruzan1 11-11-2012 08:17 AM

We need Dodge (Abacos Guide) to get down to the BVI's and write a proper cruising guide. The Scott guide is excellent for shoreside resources but very poor for navigational reference.

TakeFive 11-11-2012 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobnpaula (Post 935141)
The Scotts guide is great, with detailed information and sketch charts for major anchorages. We have used Sunsail and Horizons,and they both have the guide on board for you when you arrive, but we get one of our own once we have booked the charter (Amazon) to read in advance at home for planning purposes and area familiarization. Tim is right, they will give you suggestions for an itinerary during the briefings, and as a first-timer it is good to listen to their suggestions.
Enjoy your charter!

FYI, I booked my upcoming BVI charter through Ed Hamilton Company, and they sent me the Scotts guide free of charge. It's one of many benefits of using a booking agent.