Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Chartering
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2014
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Re: Island hopping between BVI and USVI?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarCry View Post
Why not deduct the costs to empty the holding tank from the deposit left by the charter guest if they "forget" to take care of that before returning the boat? Money is typically a good motivator for most. Confirming the tanks are empty could easily be integrated into the debrief at the end of a trip.
That's what Sunsail does. It didn't seem like too much of a hardship to sail out and empty the tank. After all, we were still sailing.

I can't wrap my head around a charter boat that has no holding tank and the only option is direct discharge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-09-2014

ccriders is on a distinguished road

Overboard discharge is not unique to Conch and as SVA points out there are no pump out facilities in BVI. I wonder if there are some in USVI? I just did not anticipate that BVI would be so lax in this and would mirror US laws. We saw brown water clouds emitting from several boats chartered by several different companies, so not unique to Conch, just wasn't included in any of the pre-charter information.
John
Old 06-09-2014

ccriders is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
That's what Sunsail does. It didn't seem like too much of a hardship to sail out and empty the tank. After all, we were still sailing.

I can't wrap my head around a charter boat that has no holding tank and the only option is direct discharge.
We were on a 12 year old boat and it would be my guess that the holding tank presented too many problems and had to be bypassed. Given no legal incentive to remedy it for use and easy pump out is just too expensive. The plumbing which all can be found under the lavatory in the head was very confusing and not easy to operate. Too much stuff in one tiny space.
Lesson learned, inquire next time as it gave us some little problem to wait until out of the anchorages, which not everyone does.
John
Old 06-09-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

I recall there being a charge with Horizon, if you returned the boat with any contents in the holding tank. In fact, the briefer recommended never closing the value for that reason.

What I found more remarkable was how the tank/lines had permeated on a 3yr old boat that never seemed to hold any contents. Can only happen, if you don't flush enough water and actually "hold" the waste in the plumbing that rises to the vented loop. No doubt the credit card sailors just flush until it's no longer visible, like they were sailing their condo.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 06-10-2014
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Why not deduct the costs to empty the holding tank from the deposit left by the charter guest if they "forget" to take care of that before returning the boat? Money is typically a good motivator for most. Confirming the tanks are empty could easily be integrated into the debrief at the end of a trip.
Some of the larger charter companies like Moorings and Sunsail turn boats around between charters in just a few hours. There isn't time for an extra trip out to the Channel. It would throw schedules off and inconvenience the inbound charterer who hasn't done anything wrong.

I'm not saying it's right, just the way it is.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Old 06-11-2014
Freedom 39

FarCry is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccriders View Post
Overboard discharge is not unique to Conch and as SVA points out there are no pump out facilities in BVI. I wonder if there are some in USVI? I just did not anticipate that BVI would be so lax in this and would mirror US laws. We saw brown water clouds emitting from several boats chartered by several different companies, so not unique to Conch, just wasn't included in any of the pre-charter information.
John
I personally do not have a problem with overboard discharge if it's not in an anchorage or close to one. Yes there are a few pump out facilities on St Thomas. I do not know about the other USVI. There are no regulations that I've every seen for discharge in the BVI. Do not ask about waste water treatment in Roadtown.....

When I do a charter boat briefing I am very thorough as to how the holding tanks operate if the charter guest will let me show them. Some state immediately that they will not use them so there's not much use in spending time showing them how simple the systems are. I can only encourage people, once they leave, they make their own decisions. Most charters starting in the USVI spend the majority of their time in the BVI.
Old 06-11-2014
Freedom 39

FarCry is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
Some of the larger charter companies like Moorings and Sunsail turn boats around between charters in just a few hours. There isn't time for an extra trip out to the Channel. It would throw schedules off and inconvenience the inbound charterer who hasn't done anything wrong.

I'm not saying it's right, just the way it is.
What happens if the boat is broken? Just playing a little devil's advocate.

I would think the larger companies would have a better opportunity to substitute other boats than the smaller companies if it needs to be taken out of use for a brief period.

I hear you in that it's not right, just the way it "currently" is. Do you think if more charter guests bitched about not even being able to dump their tanks out and away the charter companies might change their policies?
Old 06-11-2014
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Quote:
...Do not ask about waste water treatment in Roadtown...
No need to ask. All it takes is a little walk from the Moorings/Sunsail part of the marina back into the stagnant corner where they keep the Footloose boats. The stench tells you that the sewage just flows down the hill into the water.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 06-11-2014
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
... Do you think if more charter guests bitched about not even being able to dump their tanks out and away the charter companies might change their policies?
I'm not trying to be difficult, but I guess I don't understand why it's such a hardship to go out and dump the tank. We were there to sail so we sailed out.

After reading this thread, something John said when we were out dumping our tank now makes more sense: We sailed out and he climbed below to open the tank and thought that it had been open the entire time.

During our debriefing the charter guy just pointed to the tank and told us what to do. We never actually climbed down to make sure it was closed. Didn't think that was necessary.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 06-11-2014

fallard is on a distinguished road

It is only in the past few years that we have been asked to use the holding tank in harbors by Island Yacht Charters (St.Thomas), but to empty it outside before returning to the base.

We, too have been concerned about direct discharge in places like The Bight (Norman Island, BVI), but haven't noticed anything gross when snorkeling along the shoreline. Given that The Bight has an average water depth of about 50 ft, there is a lot of dilution of raw sewerage from the boats in the harbor, but it is still offensive to think that folks routinely discharge into these harbors.

Perhaps it is past time for the charter bases to insist on closed heads and provide for pump outs at the charter base. Given the level of (in)competence we've witnessed among charterers, it may be too much to expect that the instructions on overboard pump outs in the open areas, like the Drake Channel, will be routinely observed.