Island hopping between BVI and USVI? - Page 7 - SailNet Community
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 62 Old 06-12-2014
Mermaid Hunter

Re: Island hopping between BVI and USVI?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallard View Post
Perhaps it is past time for the charter bases to insist on closed heads and provide for pump outs at the charter base.
A couple of thoughts:

First, as noted above just what do you expect to happen to the product? In the BVI all waste gets pumped out into the Sir Francis Drake Channel anyway. So shall we expect the BVI Government or the charter companies to spend a lot of money on pump-outs to consolidate the waste and pump it into the Drake? Where is the value in that?

Second, although part of the UK, the BVI is "managed" by a third-world government. They have trouble with basic infrastructure like electrical power. The government is riddled with corruption and incompetence. Waste treatment has been on their agenda for a long time but nothing happens, overwhelmed by catering to the cruise ship companies and trying to attract more offshore financial business.

sail fast and eat well, dave
S/V Auspicious
AuspiciousWorks.com
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 62 Old 06-12-2014

Re: Island hopping between BVI and USVI?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallard View Post
In my experience, simply having the head open doesn't assure that the holding tank is empty. Rather, you have to pump the tank empty it. Even then, you need to observe the brown trail to assure that the pump was actually evacuating the tank when you do this.
Every bareboat I've been on had a gravity drained holding tank: Bavaria, Beneteau, Jeanneau.

I would love to contribute funding to a scientific study of dumping recreational holding tanks. I believe it has zero impact in large bodies of water, such as Drake Passage and Narragansett Bay (illegal in the latter). I also believe it is inappropriate in closed harbors, whether illegal or not.

However, human intuition is not good enough to lay down the law, IMO. I want to see a study on the effect of dilution. While gross, I've witnessed the "cloud" exit our bareboat in the clear blue water of the BVI. It was completely indistinguishable within 10 ft. There are millions of cubic feet of water even in a closed harbor. Someone really needs to do study.
FarCry likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.