SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Chartering (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/chartering/)
-   -   First charter: advice needed for Europe (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/chartering/95381-first-charter-advice-needed-europe.html)

dickydido 01-01-2013 12:16 PM

First charter: advice needed for Europe

Hello everyone. I need a reputable company to hire a yacht from in either Croatia or Greece. Looking at my first bareboat having completed day skipper. 2 of us onboard both with limited experience. Any recommendations ?

jvlassak 01-08-2013 09:54 PM

Re: First charter: advice needed for Europe

We chartered a Bavaria 37 through NCN last summer and picked it up at Marina Kastela near Split in Croatia. The boat was in pretty good condition, no hassles. The area around Split is really scenic and it is mostly easy line-of-sight sailing with reasonable winds. Another option would be to sail around the Ionian islands, but we haven't chartered there yet.

alex_sauvage 01-09-2013 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jvlassak (Post 972723)
We chartered a Bavaria 37 through NCN last summer and picked it up at Marina Kastela near Split in Croatia. The boat was in pretty good condition, no hassles. The area around Split is really scenic and it is mostly easy line-of-sight sailing with reasonable winds. Another option would be to sail around the Ionian islands, but we haven't chartered there yet.

Do they really require you to have VHF radio certification in order to bare-boat in Croatia?
And what is NCN? Google search does not come up with anything reasonable.

jackdale 01-09-2013 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alex_sauvage (Post 973063)
Do they really require you to have VHF radio certification in order to bare-boat in Croatia?
And what is NCN? Google search does not come up with anything reasonable.

A VHF license is generally required to operate the radio. They are easy to get.

I expect that this is NCN NCN-Charters.nl | Jachtverhuur, Flotttieljezielen, Meezeilen, Zeilvakanties, Zeilen in Griekenland, Frankrijk, Italie, Caribbean, Turkije en Kroatie - Home

jvlassak 01-09-2013 06:54 PM

Sorry - I should have been more explicit. We were indeed dealing with NCN Charters. They requested a copy of my VHF license, and that was the only time I was asked about it. The license is easy enough to get from the FCC. You could search the forum, I think this comes up regularly.

alex_sauvage 01-09-2013 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jvlassak (Post 973207)
Sorry - I should have been more explicit. We were indeed dealing with NCN Charters. They requested a copy of my VHF license, and that was the only time I was asked about it. The license is easy enough to get from the FCC. You could search the forum, I think this comes up regularly.

Thanks for your reply...I knew that it is the official requirement for Croatia, just was wondering if they actual insist on it in "real life". Since there is no requirement for the US resident/sailors to have FCC license (if you are sailing in USA territorial waters), I was wondering if Croatian charter company will turn you away if you don't have one (since they are the only country in Europe which insist on it (as far as I am aware)).

jvlassak 01-09-2013 10:09 PM

I don't know if they would actually turn you away. When we chartered in Croatia, we went through a Dutch company and they wanted to see a copy. I would play it safe and get a license. In the US, at it is a simple formality - filling out a form and paying the appropriate fee. You do have to be a US resident to get the license from the FCC. If not, you may have to inquire locally.

alex_sauvage 01-10-2013 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jvlassak (Post 973291)
I don't know if they would actually turn you away. When we chartered in Croatia, we went through a Dutch company and they wanted to see a copy. I would play it safe and get a license. In the US, at it is a simple formality - filling out a form and paying the appropriate fee. You do have to be a US resident to get the license from the FCC. If not, you may have to inquire locally.

Thank you.. I know it is easy in US. In Canada however you need to take the course and pass the test. It's sure doable, but something one has to do well in advance.

jackdale 01-10-2013 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alex_sauvage (Post 973435)
Thank you.. I know it is easy in US. In Canada however you need to take the course and pass the test. It's sure doable, but something one has to do well in advance.

You can study the manual without taking the class. You get a temporary ROC as soon as you pass the exam. But if you want the official looking card, do it well in advance.

alex_sauvage 01-10-2013 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackdale (Post 973485)
You can study the manual without taking the class. You get a temporary ROC as soon as you pass the exam. But if you want the official looking card, do it well in advance.

Thank you... Fortunately there is a class starting a week, so I might as well just sign up for it. It sounds a like agood idea if I want to sail in Croatia.