SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Chartering (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/chartering/)
-   -   First Time Chartering in BVIs (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/chartering/96196-first-time-chartering-bvis.html)

PhatherOfFour 01-29-2013 05:25 PM

First Time Chartering in BVIs

Hi all,
Here is my info and questions:

Four couples plan on chartering a boat for a week in the BVIs early next year.
We want to have it captained and with a cook.
We will need four queen or larger size beds and would like a newer boat.

I've been to the BVIs before but not on a boat.

1. Given that we are willing to pay a premium for a newer boat, is the Moorings the way to go?
2. Does anyone have a promo code for the Moorings?
3. Is there any place we should avoid?

Thanks.
POF

jccarr 01-29-2013 11:14 PM

Re: First Time Chartering in BVIs

Have not used the Moorings but have had good luck with Sunsail and I believe Moorings are a step up from the same company. No Moorings promo codes, but I look for the double reef weeks for a 25% discount at Sunsail. Not sure where you should not go in terms of destinations. We recently enjoyed Leverick Bay and Happy Rrrrr with Michael Beans. If you are a TTOL BVI forum member, Rick at Leverick bay will rent you a dock for the cost of a mooring ball.

Tim R. 01-30-2013 06:01 AM

Check with Ed Hamiltons. They can get you the best deal. You may be better off chartering 2 boats and getting a multi-boat discount.

Minnewaska 01-30-2013 07:04 AM

Four queen sized beds, plus crew quarters is going to be a huge boat, if one even exists. A catamaran is a given. Even with monohulls that advertise that kind of room, the berths are always different sizes, some are even bunks.

Everyone is different, but I would find having 10 people aboard to be difficult. Competition for deck space, galley space, dinghy space, etc, regardless of having enough sleeping space.

Edit: I stand corrected. I think this will do it for you. It looks to have crew bunks in the forepeak. Still its going to be a lot of people on top of each other.

http://www.moorings.com/charter-flee...4600-catamaran

chucklesR 01-30-2013 09:11 AM

Try Voyage Charters, ask for Susan and tell her Chuckles sent you.
I don't get any cut, she's a personal friend.

1 888 869 2436 or info@voyagecharters.com

I've been on a crewed charter on one of their 50 footers, four couples, capt and chef, wonderful time.

sixdaytk 01-30-2013 12:27 PM

I agree with the above post. Voyage charters has the best Cats. I toured a 57' last May that would hold your party easily.

Minnewaska 01-30-2013 01:05 PM

How much would a 57' cat charter for? I'm guessing $20k per week, plus crew and fees.

sixdaytk 02-05-2013 02:40 PM

Depending on the season it was around $15k per week.

CLOSECALL 02-05-2013 03:07 PM

Something to think about - make sure you have enough head room for all these people, if you know what I mean.

denverd0n 02-06-2013 11:03 AM

I've chartered from Sunsail/Moorings in Road Town. Very nice boats, very nice facilities. I would not hesitate to charter from them again.

Places to avoid? The only thing I would say is, don't plan on using the showers or laundry facilities at Marina Cay. I sometimes see them recommended in guide books, but that must have been some years back. They were extremely dilapidated and quite dirty when we were there in November, 2012. Were I a regional manager for Pussers, I would consider the current conditions at Marina Cay to be an embarrassment to the company.