Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2013

Robes is on a distinguished road
Re: BVI Sail Destination Times?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
You really can't just measure distance and divide by boat speed, because whether you need to tack or jibe is going to impact these passages.
Exactly, why I wanted some real log times-

Quote:
Anegada can be a real open water passage, unprotected from ocean swell and Anegada back to Tortola or JVD as well. We were in those waters with 8 foot seas on this trip and I could not imagine fishing at the time.
Me either, but I would think here or the South drop we'll get a chance-

Quote:
The islands are so laid back, its nice to not have to worry so much about how long things will take. Just go for it, have a spot or two you might bail out at, if its taking too long and just enjoy yourself!
Right, I'm totally keeping plans open with no set itinerary and having a grasp of time now will keep things realistic.....
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
I have a rough logbook on my website for the current boat and the previous one (a 57 and 49 footer respectively) with the times needed for a lot of those legs
A rough logbook...? Ha- Maybe a logbook to die for!, love it. When I get a boat I will model one after yours! Exactly what I was hopping to see, exactly!

Thanks everyone....
Old 03-03-2013

Zanshin is on a distinguished road

I wish I could figure out my Raymarine chartplotter GPS track download, then I'd post those to the new logbook as well. I mean that a real log has wind & wave speed and direction and at least hourly log entries plus note of events including a radio log (i.e. heard MAYDAY at 19:30GMT), but at least it gives me an idea of where I was on what day.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-03-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
I wish I could figure out my Raymarine chartplotter GPS track download, then I'd post those to the new logbook as well. I mean that a real log has wind & wave speed and direction and at least hourly log entries plus note of events including a radio log (i.e. heard MAYDAY at 19:30GMT), but at least it gives me an idea of where I was on what day.
While it won't integrate data into a spreadsheet, I've snapped a pic of a screen more than once to capture data. If the data is actually on an iPhone app (such as weather or nav app), you just press the top and bottom buttons simultaneously and the screen shot goes on your camera roll. Pretty cool.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 03-03-2013

CLOSECALL is on a distinguished road

Don 't think Conch will allow you to go to Anegada. Better check.
Old 03-03-2013

Bowedtoothdoc is on a distinguished road

Just got back from out trip, we chartered with Conch and were allowed to go to Anegada. The requirement was that we had a hand held GPS. We did in the following order, Salt, Virgin Gorda, Anegada, Trellis Bay, two nights different places on Jost Van Dyke, and back through the narrows and stopping at the Indians before heading back in. We had a great trip and even got to see some Humpback Whales! I made a couple of Videos:

Going to and back from Anegada was a small craft advisory with a North swell running.
Old 03-05-2013

nodders is on a distinguished road

We just got back from our first trip to the BVIs. I found the distances shorter than I anticipated. We typically had a lazy morning and wouldn't head out until 9 am or so and were still in to most of our destinations by early afternoon (which is a good idea because some places fill up fast).

Examples of timing: We left Great bay on Peter Island, went to the Baths for a couple of hours and then sailed to Gorda Sound and were there by 3:30 or so. Conch Charters to Norman (Bight Bay) not much more than an hour or so. Bight Bay is party central, so if you prefer quiet, head to Great Bay on Peter.

We generally sailed most of the time with a few exceptions to save a couple of tacks.

Old 03-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowedtoothdoc View Post
Just got back from out trip, we chartered with Conch and were allowed to go to Anegada. The requirement was that we had a hand held GPS. We did in the following order, Salt, Virgin Gorda, Anegada, Trellis Bay, two nights different places on Jost Van Dyke, and back through the narrows and stopping at the Indians before heading back in. We had a great trip and even got to see some Humpback Whales! I made a couple of Videos:

Going to and back from Anegada was a small craft advisory with a North swell running.
Thanks so much for posting those video's, a great steady hand, great resolution, and I was there on my full screen 27" iMac- beautiful shooting!

So your return from Anegada was to Trellis Bay; next day, did you head to JVD via the North coast of Tortola or take the SFDC ?

I'm thinking to stay away from Trellis do to airport noise, how was that?

Looked like superb sailing conditions!

Last edited by Robes; 03-05-2013 at 11:38 PM.
Old 03-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodders View Post
Examples of timing: We left Great bay on Peter Island, went to the Baths for a couple of hours and then sailed to Gorda Sound and were there by 3:30 or so. Conch Charters to Norman (Bight Bay) not much more than an hour or so. Bight Bay is party central, so if you prefer quiet, head to Great Bay on Peter.
Thanks for that info- That's what I'm thinking 1st day, get to Norman but anchor either Water or Treasure Pt Bays, dingy in to The Bight.
Old 03-06-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robes View Post
Thanks for that info- That's what I'm thinking 1st day, get to Norman but anchor either Water or Treasure Pt Bays, dingy in to The Bight.
I'm thinking you mean Privateer or Kelly Coves. The Bight is really one of the best protected anchorage/mooring fields in BVI, IMO. There is about 30 ft of water you can anchor in on the northern edge of the entrance to the Bight, just south of Kelly's. If you are willing to spring for a mooring and get there early enough to grab one near the edges, you can snorkel right off your boat. Not saying its the best snorkeling, but its pretty convenient. You can certainly dinghy to the restaurant from Privateer, which can be rolly, but I would not want to have to do so at night. Pirates is fully remodeled and looks great, you'll not want to miss it.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.