SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Chartering (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/chartering/)
-   -   BVI Sail Destination Times? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/chartering/97029-bvi-sail-destination-times.html)

Robes 02-26-2013 03:05 PM

BVI Sail Destination Times?

Hello All-

I'm chartering(Conch - Bene 403) in the BVI first week of April for 10 days. I have some questions which I hope will help me lay out a rough voyage plan. These questions are also related to my willing to try some off shore fishing (away from the reefs) eg. the North/South drops or near them.

I understand that at this time of year the trades maybe from the NNE to East, is that safe to say?

I'm wondering what some sail destination times could be from various points. For example, time from Road Town to Norman Is?
Norman to Gorda Sound(N or S side of the channel islands)?
Gorda Sound to Norman?
Gorda Sound to Anegada?
Anegada to JVD?
ETC.

What about Gorda Sound to Anegada via looping the Horse Shoe Reef, navigating the Atlantic side of Anagada to the West End & Setting Point, time? I'm thinking that may be a nice sail and trolling expedition?

Thanks....

SteveInMD 02-26-2013 03:45 PM

Re: BVI Sail Destination Times?

Look at the chart here. (This will download a png format chart of the BVI.) You should be able do at least 5 knots. Measure the distance in NM and divide by 5.

hillenme 02-26-2013 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveInMD (Post 995442)
Look at the chart here. (This will download a png format chart of the BVI.) You should be able do at least 5 knots. Measure the distance in NM and divide by 5.

Can you post a link to the webiste as well?

SteveInMD 02-26-2013 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hillenme (Post 995457)
Can you post a link to the webiste as well?

I actually can't. I just have it bookmarked. I'm headed to the BVI in a few weeks so I had it handy. (There may think be a way to unshorten the link, but I don't know what it is.)

Originally I got the link from here...
Chart Images NOAA 25609 BVI - Cruisers & Sailing Forums

Tim R. 02-26-2013 06:39 PM

Also heading to the BVIs on march 15. Most everything is within a couple of hours of each other except anagada which is 2-3 hours from virgin Garda.

Minnewaska 02-26-2013 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robes (Post 995410)
I understand that at this time of year the trades maybe from the NNE to East, is that safe to say?

You bet, but we did get a day of Southeast when we were there a few weeks back.

Quote:

I'm wondering what some sail destination times could be from various points. For example, time from Road Town to Norman Is?
Norman to Gorda Sound(N or S side of the channel islands)?
Gorda Sound to Norman?
Gorda Sound to Anegada?
Anegada to JVD?

What about Gorda Sound to Anegada via looping the Horse Shoe Reef, navigating the Atlantic side of Anagada to the West End & Setting Point, time? I'm thinking that may be a nice sail and trolling expedition?
You really can't just measure distance and divide by boat speed, because whether you need to tack or jibe is going to impact these passages. Generally, winds are coming right down Sir Francis Drake passage. That means that heading from Road Town to Norman is usually a nice beam reach and probably 60 to 90 mins. However, heading out to Gorda is almost always a beat into wind and waves. Double the time for tacking and crashing into oncoming, if they are of any significance.

Anegada can be a real open water passage, unprotected from ocean swell and Anegada back to Tortola or JVD as well. We were in those waters with 8 foot seas on this trip and I could not imagine fishing at the time.

The islands are so laid back, its nice to not have to worry so much about how long things will take. Just go for it, have a spot or two you might bail out at, if its taking too long and just enjoy yourself!

SteveInMD 02-26-2013 08:49 PM

I agree it is not an exact science, but 5 knots will get you in the ball park. If the winds are not helping you out you can probably motor at 5 knots, if you are determined to stick to a plan.

Zanshin 02-28-2013 07:03 AM

I have a rough logbook on my website for the current boat and the previous one (a 57 and 49 footer respectively) with the times needed for a lot of those legs, many of them repeated over time. The extra LWL gives better overall speeds and the weight of the boat helps on the upwind runs as the waves don't bring it to a standstill, so you can get a rough idea of the relative speeds for upwind, downwind and beam-reach sails. Note that due to the waves usually found in the BVI going striaght downwind won't work very well unless you have a pole for the genoa/jib and I've yet to see a charter boat with one, so going downwind might end up giving your slowest average speeds.

Zanshin sailing Logbook

Zanshin I sailing Logbook

Minnewaska 02-28-2013 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanshin (Post 996221)
.....Note that due to the waves usually found in the BVI going striaght downwind won't work very well unless you have a pole for the genoa/jib and I've yet to see a charter boat with one, so going downwind might end up giving your slowest average speeds......

Totally agree with Z. Unless you are crossing essentially north-south inside Sir Francis Drake, you are going to be tacking or jibing. But its a sailing vacation! Go with it and enjoy. If one gets tired of it, fire up the iron genny and go enjoy a beer. You'll find most do at some point. We tacked half way up the passage to Gorda and motor sailed the rest. It's all good. Sail when you want, don't when you don't.

i_amcdn 02-28-2013 10:11 PM

Spend some time surfing Walker Mangum's site.
Da Caribbean, Mon!

Lots of navigation stuff.

He used to have a map posted with distances but I cannot find it now.