SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Plan of Attack in BVI, Island Hopping

10K views 44 replies 19 participants last post by  Zanshin 
#1 ·
Hi All-

It seems most sailors who depart Tortola head to Norman/ Peter/ Salt islands their 1st day, then proceed toward Gorda Sound.

I have 10 nights and plan passage to Anegada. Do the charter companies have rules to certain destinations, eg. depart Gorda Sound to Anegada and return to "X" or could I depart from eg.Guana Is & return to JVD? Do sailors depart JVD to Anegada, probably not first choice but conditions suitable? You may depart Gorda Sound simply for better sailing conditions, but do Charter Co's dictate?

Do Charter Co's have limits to sail off the islands? I was thinking of trolling the "South Drop", from Virgin Gorda to ~Peter Is. about 1.5- 2 miles off shore, would there be a problem with that?

Is there a preferred rotation to island hop or do Charter companies dictate this despite your plan?

I would like to set some plan, waypoints etc. to start with, if it works great, if not we alter course/plan. I don't expect I have to stay on a rigid sail plan that I submit to the company, do I?

Weather, seas, all factors in consideration, can I sail where I want in BVI waters (I have permission to Anegada)?

Hey, I'm getting pumped up- I leave April 7th, I just don't want any surprises if possible...:D

See less See more
#2 ·
Here's a reply I did for folks doing 14 day charter. The same theory applies.

Leaving Roadtown you can go left or right. With 14 days, i'd put Anegada (with Conch's permission) on your list. This will be the at least a 2-3 day stop. Depending if you want to anchor or use moorings, be with people or get away from the crowd, will determine your stops. From Road town, i'd stop at Trellis Bay first, grab a mooring, have lunch at the loose mongoose, stroll the beach, dine at the last resort. call for reservations by 4pm, this applies to most restaurants, especially this time of year. From Trellis, I'd head to Virgin Gorda, stopping at the Dogs for a snorkel, or just a pause, to get folks off the boat, in the water. I would pull into Leverick bay, enjoy their pool, do laundry, provision up and ck out North Sound, Vixen Point, Saba, Bitter End. Take a taxi to the Baths, make a day of that. From there, Anegada. Its about 15NM heading 003. Double ck that, as i usually leave from Jost Van Dyke.
THere's a whole website dedicated to Anegada, its approach and what to do there.
Grilled lobster for dinner is offered at most of the restaurants. Take a taxi to loblolly or flash of beauty. this time of year, not sure there will be food at Flash. Take time to explore this island, and do some research. Here's a start: Navigating to Anegada
From Anegada, I'd stop at Marina Cay, across from Trellis bay. Beach fun, food, some shopping. Then, I'd go down the north side of Tortola, stopping in Cane Garden, if the weather permits, on to Jost Van Dyke, Diamond Cay to start. Hike for 10-20 minutes to the bubbler, natures jacuzzi. Work your way to White Bay. Great beach, lots of folks at the Soggy Dollar Bar. I'd leave for West End, Tortola, grab a mooring, and if you could not get into Cane Garden Bay due to weather, rent a car from Jerry's car rental, they'll pick you up, and spend time seeing the beaches, make reservations at banankeet, for best sunset dining and then Pam's delight, for great local food.
From West End, i'd head to Norman Island. Snorkel the caves then head to the beach at Pirates, stopping for lunch on the Willie T. For my last stop, i'd make my way to Cooper Island, directly across from Road town, allowing for an ez run back to Conch.
There's a bunch more/less depending on you.
Shout if i can help

#15 ·
Here's a reply I did for folks doing 14 day charter. The same theory applies.

Leaving Roadtown you can go left or right. With 14 days, i'd put Anegada (with Conch's permission) on your list. This will be the at least a 2-3 day stop. Depending if you want to anchor or use moorings, be with people or get away from the crowd, will determine your stops. From Road town, i'd stop at Trellis Bay first, grab a mooring, have lunch at the loose mongoose, stroll the beach, dine at the last resort. call for reservations by 4pm, this applies to most restaurants, especially this time of year. From Trellis, I'd head to Virgin Gorda, stopping at the Dogs for a snorkel, or just a pause, to get folks off the boat, in the water. I would pull into Leverick bay, enjoy their pool, do laundry, provision up and ck out North Sound, Vixen Point, Saba, Bitter End. Take a taxi to the Baths, make a day of that. From there, Anegada. Its about 15NM heading 003. Double ck that, as i usually leave from Jost Van Dyke.
THere's a whole website dedicated to Anegada, its approach and what to do there.
Grilled lobster for dinner is offered at most of the restaurants. Take a taxi to loblolly or flash of beauty. this time of year, not sure there will be food at Flash. Take time to explore this island, and do some research. Here's a start: Navigating to Anegada
From Anegada, I'd stop at Marina Cay, across from Trellis bay. Beach fun, food, some shopping. Then, I'd go down the north side of Tortola, stopping in Cane Garden, if the weather permits, on to Jost Van Dyke, Diamond Cay to start. Hike for 10-20 minutes to the bubbler, natures jacuzzi. Work your way to White Bay. Great beach, lots of folks at the Soggy Dollar Bar. I'd leave for West End, Tortola, grab a mooring, and if you could not get into Cane Garden Bay due to weather, rent a car from Jerry's car rental, they'll pick you up, and spend time seeing the beaches, make reservations at banankeet, for best sunset dining and then Pam's delight, for great local food.
From West End, i'd head to Norman Island. Snorkel the caves then head to the beach at Pirates, stopping for lunch on the Willie T. For my last stop, i'd make my way to Cooper Island, directly across from Road town, allowing for an ez run back to Conch.
There's a bunch more/less depending on you.
Shout if i can help
Follow Joes recommendations. I know him personally and he is quite the person. His recommendations and advice are spot on

Dave

#4 ·
I don't recall any charter company requiring a particular itinerary, although, all have restrictions on some specific passages or anchorages.

We (I think most) find a general counter clockwise trip to work best, so that you are beating into the wind while inside SFDC and have a downwind leg when exposed to the northerly ocean swell. Fielders choice, however.

Day one is really like a shakedown cruise on a new boat and you'll likely get a late start after briefings, provisioning, etc. Plan a relatively short cruise, so you can quickly relax away from the bustle of the charter marina. Then I like to press day 2 to get a longer passage out of the way, say all the way to North Sound. No right or wrong, do it your way.

I don't get the attraction of Anegada. Its relatively far on an exposed passage and can be very tricky to navigate the approach. Some charter companies do restrict this trip, perhaps because it would be so difficult for them to come bail you out.

With 10 days on your first trip, I would personally leave it off the itinerary and spend more time seeing the rest. Just about anywhere else, you can change your mind enroute, bail into a different anchorage, snorkle along the way, etc. With Anegada, you're committed. Some love it though.

#5 ·
I agree with Minne...Anegada is very pretty, but I'm not sure it's worth the trouble unless you have a specific reason to go there. Lots more to do close to Tortola, and much of it within an easy sail.

Now, mind you, I'm pretty much a land lubber. I've been to the North Sound a whopping two times, the first of which was about 25 years ago. That's where I originally learned to sail, though, and it's a beautiful area. Went back about 8 years ago with my (just married) bride, and fell in love with it all over again. We did a day trip to Anegada by powerboat, and it was fun to go somewhere else and see the sights, but in hindsight, I could just as easily have skipped the trip. Even in a powerboat, it can be a long, and somewhat uncomfortable, ride.

#6 ·
Our charter company gave us some recomended destinations (that were generally the busiest, most expensive places in the islands) and, during the chart breifing, identified passages to avoid. We set out with a limited plan that generally consisted of geting up each day and deciding where we wanted to go that day. The morning we left Cooper we started setting out for the baths, but there was a huge flotilla headed that way, so we stuck around Salt Island and peter island and did the baths the next day.

I think the charter companies main issue is that you return the boat on time and in good condition! Where you go with it (within reason) is not a concern.

#7 · (Edited)
For your first day don't plan on getting out of the marina before 3 pm. Our charter start time was 12 pm and the boat was empty on the dock the night before. We had our briefing and went to Rite Way for provisions and sat there at the dock while they got the boat ready. After we were allowed onboard which was after 1:30 pm we waited again to get briefed on the boat systems and then waited again to get our dink and finally get someone to get us out of the marina. Can't take the boats out without a guide. It was close to 3 pm before we got out, I pitched a fit and got a bottle of rum for my troubles.

Hopefully you will have better luck? Just saying don't plan on going too far on day one!

#11 ·
In 2009 we did exactly that. Left from Virgin Gorda to Annagada and returned to JVD. We chartered from Sunsail.

Staying aboard the first night is helpful. We are doign that next Friday. Will likely head to Cooper the first night and try to stay a day ahead of teh crowds at VG where we hope to have our St. Pattys day flotilla party at Saba.

#12 ·
There is not too much to add to what others have already said, but here is my experience:

- was there two times chartering with Sunsail and Moorings (same base). I think Anegada is generally out of bounds, primarily due to the tricky approach for most of the inexperienced charterers but I assume exceptions can be made.

- We did JVD to Anegada and it was a great sail on a single tack

- In my opinion Loblolly Bay itself is worth the trip but also it is the longest stretch of open sea sail, so there is some navigation challenge (in particular the flat profile of Anegada which is almost invisible from a distance)

- we stayed the first night on board and were out on the sea before noon the next day. Also it is advisable to arrange for the provisions delivery in advance so you get it the night before.

- if you try to go from Norman Island to JVD you should be careful to stay within BVI waters as I heard some boats got the attention of the USVI coast guard.

- The itineraries are many and very flexible, the only thing I would suggest is to stay the last night somewhere close to Road Town (Cooper or Peter Islands) so you have a predictable trip to the base as you have to return the boat by 11am the next morning.

Enjoy the sail!
;)

#13 ·
.....if you try to go from Norman Island to JVD you should be careful to stay within BVI waters as I heard some boats got the attention of the USVI coast guard.......
First I've ever heard of a problem. We've certainly tacked right up snug to St. John's, although, I've never seen the Coasties to report on their reaction. I'm surprised its an issue, as long as you do not drop a hook. SJ is hard to avoid around West End, Sopers, Thatch Island, etc.

#16 ·
We just got back from 10 days in the BVI, chartered Horizon out of Nanny Cay. this was our third time in BVI. Most people do a general counter-clockwise approach because of the prevailing winds in winter; means that beating will usually take place in the (relatively) sheltered Francis Drake Channel. But, I never heard of a charter company telling you you HAD to do a specific route.
I agree with most of what has been said, except about Anegada... we did it this time precisely BECAUSE it is more challenging and open water and a "passage" of sorts. We loved the adventure of entering the (somewhat) tricky channel, and of seeing a place less-discovered than most in the BVI. Cow's Wreck Beach was a dream day.... we'll always remember such a beautiful, unspoiled place.
So, here's what we did this time:
Nanny Cay to Great Harbour on Peter Island (agree with a short leg the first day, after briefings and to familiarize with the boat)
Peter Island to Marina Cay (unusually high winds/waves the week we were there, we were looking for a more protected mooring)... also, helps you get upwind.
Marina Cay to Gorda Sound. Grabbed a mooring off Vixen Point, a beautiful beach with no services to speak of. stayed two nights, and ate at Saba Rock and dinghyed over to Bitter End to see how the rich and famous live. Also, were waiting for our best weather window to Anegada.
Gorda Sound to Anegada... a fun/fast passage! Stayed two nights, and felt it was a highlight of our trip
Anegada to Great Harbour on Jost Van Dyke. This was our longest sail, a great day, mostly beam to broad reach. Had never seen Foxy's, had to check that off the list, and fairly good shelter from the wind/waves we had.
JVD to Soper's Hole. Weather was deteriorating at this point, a short, rough ride to the protection of Soper's Hole. Always fun to check out the yachts in this popular destination for cruisers.
Soper's Hole to Nanny Cay... our roughest day, and it was in the channel! Winds hit 30, waves were 10 feet and very short interval. Tiring beat, so we were glad our last night was back at Nanny Cay, could relax and get ready for the check-out and trip home.
For what it is worth, trying to plan an exact itinerary before you are there and can see what your weather is like never works. Have general plans of things you'd like to see/do, and be ready for plan B or C if that's what conditions require. Have a great trip!

#20 ·
Thanks for all the helpful answers everyone!

So, after the overnight on the boat I expect to get out of Conch by Noon on MONDAY 4/8/13. Is Monday a good day (less charters leaving) or a busy day for new charters heading out?

As mentioned above, I think I'd pass on Norman as a 1st night if Mondays are busy, I'd rather follow the less traveled path. :D

#25 ·
Sounds great. I plan to go over every inch of the boat on the sleep over, have a list of questions ready also. They mention on their site somewhere to call them before noon of the previous day, sleep-over or not, to arrange for an early checkout, I plan to do that too.....

Have a great one! :D

#23 ·
Robes, I highly recommend picking up a Saba Rock Resort mooring ball at the far eastern end of North / Gorda Sound as it comes with a free bag of ice per night and a free water fill at their dock. Not that I have any experience at this, but the 4-6 PM Happy Hour $3 Pain Killers and Rum Punches take the edge off of a pressure filled environment! Have a great time!

#28 ·
I was planning to pack a few food items, tea, spice, maybe some noodles, dry items, granola bars where ever they fit, nothing in large quantities (dozen+ candy bars). I see you have to have an IMPORT FORM. They will confiscate these items?

#32 ·
Looks like meats are now prohibited, but other imports just drive a 5% to 15% import duty.

Robes, have a great time! You've planned well, but be careful. BVI does not work like a swiss watch, you have to go with the flow and the flow is slow. Sometime is just isn't flowing. I swear, the more you plan the worse it gets. :)

#33 ·
Looks like meats are now prohibited, but other imports just drive a 5% to 15% import duty.

Robes, have a great time! You've planned well, but be careful. BVI does not work like a swiss watch, you have to go with the flow and the flow is slow. Sometime is just isn't flowing. I swear, the more you plan the worse it gets. :)
The more rum you swallow, the better the system seems to work.:laugher
That's why they offer free shots at the St Thomas airport!!!!!

#37 ·
Well that should be enough then. :)

Food is a bit pricey there, but there are online services where you can place an order before you depart, pay with your credit card and tell them when to meet you at your boat. You fully customize like a shopping list and aren't button holed into those silly charter food packages. They work with all the charter companies.

For what you might save, I would never want to deal with the coolers and forms. Having one bag slung over your shoulder is a serious advantage when dealing with "the islands". Picking multiple heavy items in and out of cabs, on ferries, through customs, etc, sounds very cumbersome to me.

Maybe bring something you absolutely must have and can't get.

#45 · (Edited)
The only night one might wish to avoid Norman Island and The Bight is on Sundays, which is 'locals' night at the Willie T and is accompanied by loud music, lots of go-fast boats coming from and going back to Tortola (many are planing in the anchorage). And since Pirate's restaurant and bar burned down last week there's no option ashore until they rebuild.
There are mooring balls aplenty at Norman and you've got the Caves plus Pelican and other activities so it remains a good first (and last) night option from Road Town or Nanny Cay.

OOPS - I responded to a 6-month old post at the end of page 1 by mistake, and since the thread has already been read I won't delete the (superfluous) information.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.