SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Chartering (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/chartering/)
-   -   Captain for charter? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/chartering/97352-captain-charter.html)

utchuckd 03-07-2013 12:47 PM

Captain for charter?

Looking into a charter (first ever) vacation and will need a captain.

1. Do they stay on the boat the whole time or go back on forth only for moving between places?

2. Any ballpark on how much they add to the cost?

Tim R. 03-07-2013 01:00 PM

Re: Captain for charter?

1. They stay on the boat.
2. Not sure, never used one.

Why do you think you need a captain? BVIs is very easy sailing if you havge some decent experience. I have seen people bareboat there that did not know much about sailing.

utchuckd 03-07-2013 01:03 PM

Thanks, I was just making an assumption. I have a 1 week learn to sail course and about another week worth of being on a sailboat.

CapnBilll 03-07-2013 01:14 PM

I would get a Captain, unless you hire your own, the charter company will be able to give you the rates for crewed VS Bareboat. And it varies greatly. Some charter companies would not allow bareboat with only 1 week of experience.

denverd0n 03-07-2013 02:09 PM

If the "learn to sail" course is touted as being all that's necessary for you to bareboat charter, then they had darned well better be willing to let you charter one of their boats the following week. Otherwise they are clearly misrepresenting their course!

A captain, as mentioned, stays on the boat. Cost is typically somewhere between $150-$200 per day. And it is customary to tip him, in addition.

utchuckd 03-07-2013 04:30 PM

Sorry if I wasn't clear, I meant that a 1 week learn to sail course (10 yrs ago) and another week on a sailboat (last summer) is my experience level.

Minnewaska 03-08-2013 09:16 AM

The Charter companies are probably going to require a Captain, if that's all the sailing you've ever done. Many will rent you a bareboat when you're fresh out of a legit week long liveaboard course. Ten years later, if you've not kept up with your skills, they would understandable worry. Sounds like you may be too.

However, if you think you can handle it and have a bit more experience to show, they may only require that you spend your first day with a Captain aboard to essentially check you out. If you and they find you are safe, they'll let you taker her alone from there.

denverd0n 03-08-2013 10:19 AM

Oh yeah, and he will expect you to feed him. You don't have to pay for restaurant meals for him, if you go to a restaurant. Including him in your provisioning, and so feeding him on-board, however, will be expected.

chucklesR 03-08-2013 10:28 AM

In the BVI skippers can be 'partial' - i.e. a couple of days to refresh and teach as well then they leave you on your own.

You can work with the company and make that an option.

utchuckd 03-08-2013 10:49 AM

Thanks, I've heard back from one company so far and they brought up the take a captain for a day or two option. I think I'd be pretty comfortable with that, we'll see how it goes.