Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Chartering
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2013

lavidanueva is on a distinguished road
Re: Videographer As Crew

Geez Louise, what negative bunch of blowhards. Does a yacht owner have to have a captains license when he takes his sail maker for a trial run? Does a boat owner have to have a captains license when he and his mechanic go for a spin to check out the engine? Do you have to have a captains license while the instrument guy calibrates your new nav equipment?

If someone wants to hire me as a contractor to do a first rate production of their adventure, I don't see why they need a captains license any more than any other contractor. I am not trading anything for a boat ride, you have to pay me as a contractor for each day we are out, it is more time for me, I have all the boating i want on my own boat, though always happy to learn from others. Presumably the piece will be used for private enjoyment, nothing commercial about this from the captains point of view.

I could be wrong about this, but some of you are green with envy that some guys have the dough to pay for a nice production while you sit at the dock so you jump my back. It didn't used to be this way, we never grow by spiting others.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-21-2013

Great point, lighting, sound, backdrop, all very difficult in changing conditions, like sailing. Amateur video is fine, but you never get the finished look. Each to his own and each to his own budget.
Old 04-21-2013

A lot of you won't like the politics behind it, that is not the point. What counts is the professional presentation, the message. This took 24 hours to shoot, and about 60 hours to edit. The value is about $5K, note quality is reduced for fast streaming.

Last edited by lavidanueva; 04-21-2013 at 08:20 PM. Reason: adding points left out, videographer, commercial, captain
Old 04-22-2013

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
If someone hires you for a production, indeed they do not need a captains licence. Sorry, that got us off track.
But anyone receiving compensation should carry liability ins. All marinas require a certificate of insur of any contractor setting foot in their yard.

You made mention of liability insur for covering errors, content, etc. Any knowledgeable production person would know that is covered by Errors & Ommisions insur and that liability insur is for covering damages and injury. If a contractor does not have liability insur, claims can be made against the person who hired the contractor, even by the contractor themselves. Zanshin, you want to put your 54'er on the line for someone who scrimps on insur? I can buy 1 million in liability for less than $500/yr . I have had discussions with film industry insur people regarding the relatively high level of incidences of damage & injury in this field. Pull out a video camera and people start doing 'things'.
But what do I know from 20+ years of shooting for Fortune 500 companies, Academy Award winning documentaries and countless projects for Discovery, History, BBC, A & E, Showtime, ESPN, Sail Magazine, etc.
You pays yer money and you takes yer chances .
Have fun!

Tags
video production