SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Chartering (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/chartering/)
-   -   Videographer As Crew (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/chartering/98695-videographer-crew.html)

lavidanueva 04-21-2013 06:52 AM

Videographer As Crew

we do top rate videos and mini documentaries. Will trade cruising time for part pay for one of our productions. Why not memorialize one of the best times in your life? We have full range of equipment, professional cameras, editing equipment, and the end product is perfect for motivating others to come join the fun next time! Send me a message if this kind of trade makes sense. Open to all kinds of cruising, but expecially interested in deliveries, anything with a story about it.

xort 04-21-2013 07:13 AM

Do you have liability insur for all areas you will sail while producing these videos?

If a sailboat captain takes this on and is compensated for their troubles, that captain needs a captains licence.

lavidanueva 04-21-2013 10:38 AM

Re: Videographer As Crew

We can acquire liability insurance if the end user seeks it. As it is, we are careful to obtain signed releases for all people who appear in our work. The liability insurance only insures against fraud, appropriating a name without permission, that kind of thing. It does nothing for the boat and it's crew. Since our proposition is to do a video for the ownership of the yacht which he can use to show his family and friends or to motivate others, we don't believe the captain needs a special license. He is already charging people for a good time by saying, "you pay expenses", now he would be saying, "and the expenses are $200 more over the trip per person to pay for the cost of the videographer."

hellosailor 04-21-2013 11:02 AM

Technically, xort has it right. You are offering a commercial venture and the fact that it is for barter instead of for cash makes no difference. The owner is getting "paid" with your video, if they say to other strangers "you pay expenses" that is still a vessel for hire and a captain's license still needed.

Yes, many people ignore that, but when there's a formal agreement for compensation as opposed to a voluntary action between pre-existing friends? That's commercial.

Easy enough to ignore, unless something goes wrong someone gets sued, and then the technicalities rear their ugly heads. If you are injured on their boat, their insurer can also walk away. A little more risk, both ways.

xort 04-21-2013 11:28 AM

Liability policies for damage and injury are definitely available for video production. Most knowledgeable people involved in video production will require it.
And liability insurance for video producers and videographers is at a premium over most other businesses because insurance company actuaries know there is a higher level of risk in video production. The boat owner who signs on a video crew should realize the risks inherent in that endeavor. Hiring on a producer who cuts corners on liability does so at their own risk.

MarkofSeaLife 04-21-2013 11:50 AM

Film people pay for locations used.... All except people after a free ride on a boat.... Go figure.

barefootnavigator 04-21-2013 01:03 PM

You guys are on to something, my kingdom for a first mate with filming experience. I ended up going with plan B filing everything myself and its a real PIA. Good luck to you.

PS an easy way around all this is simply work as free sailing crew film as you may and if the captain likes what you have done give him or her a copy. No captains license needed or insurance.

Zanshin 04-21-2013 05:57 PM

C'mon folks - cut the poster a break. Instead of pointing out the many ways that it won't work, perhaps someone is interested in a professional filming job in exchange for -something-; I just tried filming and realized that it is a whole dimension more difficult and time-consuming than mere still photography.

hellosailor 04-21-2013 06:43 PM

Funny, I hadn't thought about that since "still" meant film, and filming was already often video on tape. I felt is was just the other way, that a still photographer (events, not studio) gas to be running a movie in their head and catching the snippets of it on still, where a vdeio cameraman can just keep shooting and always edits later.

Of course with digital film now, so much has changed.

Classic30 04-21-2013 07:50 PM

In my experience it is actually really difficult to get good video out on the water, at least compared with still photography where you can control lighting and surroundings to some extent - even if only for a fraction of a second.

A really good on-water videographer is a rare beastie indeed, needing to tackle continously-changing lighting conditions and surroundings essentially outside of their control. Certainly it can be done - it just takes lots of skill and very expensive equipment to avoid hours of useless footage - and makes still photography look easy.