SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Cheoy Lee (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cheoy-lee/)
-   -   Hoy do you like your Cheoy Lee? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cheoy-lee/43051-hoy-do-you-like-your-cheoy-lee.html)

JR828 05-11-2008 08:02 AM

How do you like your Cheoy Lee?

I am on a serious boat search. I have known about Cheoy Lees but thought that they were relegated to very large yachts! I am very interested in one and was wanting some feedback as to how much you guys like the boat. I am drawn to the classic lines and the interior layouts. Are there any issues known exclusively with Cheoy Lee? Any input would be appreciated! Thank YOU.

Lion35 05-11-2008 01:09 PM

It depends a bit on the year of Chey Lee you're looking at, the quality of the boats has varied over the years. What year/make are you looking at?

lakeeriehigh 07-31-2008 01:20 AM

Daddy Like!!

I have had three sailboats now, and am in love with my 1968 Offshore 27. Cheoy Lee made some of the toughest blue water boats ever produced. They have class and style, and were clasic traditional looking boats even in the 60's. You have to love wood on a boat, but if you are willing to rub it a little, you will have a head turner. I just restored mine in a boat yard for three months, and was amazed at the people who stoped their cars on the side of the road to come talk about her. Twice I went to the yard to find someone waiting by the boat to ask about her. She is a beauty though, so I cant say that I blame them.

JR828 07-31-2008 09:04 AM

I went to look at the Cheoy Lee that I was interested in and found that it was in much worse shape than expected. To bring the boat up to a condition for which I would be happy would have taken much more money and time than I am willing to give at this point in my life. Due to the current economy, I have decided to put the serious boat search on hold unless I find an unbelievable bargain. Still Boatless.

BlueWaterSail 11-25-2008 03:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lakeeriehigh (Post 348049)
I have had three sailboats now, and am in love with my 1968 Offshore 27. Cheoy Lee made some of the toughest blue water boats ever produced. They have class and style, and were clasic traditional looking boats even in the 60's. You have to love wood on a boat, but if you are willing to rub it a little, you will have a head turner. I just restored mine in a boat yard for three months, and was amazed at the people who stoped their cars on the side of the road to come talk about her. Twice I went to the yard to find someone waiting by the boat to ask about her. She is a beauty though, so I cant say that I blame them.

I have to agree. I was lucky, my '65 Frisco Flyer had - for most of her life - been well taken care of. This one is a keeper. I fixed every flaw in her rigging, repaired every bit of damage in her deck and cabin, and it was all worth it. She looks stunning at 43.

BWS

dsmylie 11-26-2008 06:40 AM

I have a 79 Richards 32 ketch that was bought as a project boat, it was not well taken care of but I liked the lines and layout. There is much work to be done but it is a labor of love. I have been living aboard 2 years now.

rhoudini 11-18-2009 11:05 PM

1999 to 2003

I have saw a motor boat 70' +.... i would like to know more about those boats... I am looking from 1999 to 2003 any issue or something you can suggest or help?