SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Hoy do you like your Cheoy Lee?

27K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Paul Bonin 
#1 · (Edited)
How do you like your Cheoy Lee?

I am on a serious boat search. I have known about Cheoy Lees but thought that they were relegated to very large yachts! I am very interested in one and was wanting some feedback as to how much you guys like the boat. I am drawn to the classic lines and the interior layouts. Are there any issues known exclusively with Cheoy Lee? Any input would be appreciated! Thank YOU.

#3 ·
Daddy Like!!

I have had three sailboats now, and am in love with my 1968 Offshore 27. Cheoy Lee made some of the toughest blue water boats ever produced. They have class and style, and were clasic traditional looking boats even in the 60's. You have to love wood on a boat, but if you are willing to rub it a little, you will have a head turner. I just restored mine in a boat yard for three months, and was amazed at the people who stoped their cars on the side of the road to come talk about her. Twice I went to the yard to find someone waiting by the boat to ask about her. She is a beauty though, so I cant say that I blame them.

#5 ·
I have had three sailboats now, and am in love with my 1968 Offshore 27. Cheoy Lee made some of the toughest blue water boats ever produced. They have class and style, and were clasic traditional looking boats even in the 60's. You have to love wood on a boat, but if you are willing to rub it a little, you will have a head turner. I just restored mine in a boat yard for three months, and was amazed at the people who stoped their cars on the side of the road to come talk about her. Twice I went to the yard to find someone waiting by the boat to ask about her. She is a beauty though, so I cant say that I blame them.
I have to agree. I was lucky, my '65 Frisco Flyer had - for most of her life - been well taken care of. This one is a keeper. I fixed every flaw in her rigging, repaired every bit of damage in her deck and cabin, and it was all worth it. She looks stunning at 43.

BWS

#4 ·
I went to look at the Cheoy Lee that I was interested in and found that it was in much worse shape than expected. To bring the boat up to a condition for which I would be happy would have taken much more money and time than I am willing to give at this point in my life. Due to the current economy, I have decided to put the serious boat search on hold unless I find an unbelievable bargain. Still Boatless.

#9 ·
I love them, mine is a fixer. 1976 Luders design. 33' with a 4' bow spirit
It was appraised at $ 8k to 30k. Right now it's 70% complete lots if teak, in and out, full galley, head, 2 cabins, sleeps 6, inboard Perkins, rebuilt but unassembled, plus 9.9 HP Yamaha on. Helm steering, working cannon on bow red hull, teak desks. Black metal flake mast mizzen and booms, call me to see it in Wilmington , Ca 310 259 0254, $7000. or. Best offer takes it, moving inland in 2 months.trades for 4x4 truck. Or Harley with cash your end.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.