Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2013

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Re: Moorings

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsaronson View Post
The city of annapolis requires a permit. Almost anywhere else you are free to drop a mooring if it is not a danger to navigation.
I checked the MDDNR site and you are on point. Annapolis, Kent Country, Oxford and St Michaels have additional restrictions.

I think its likely the "general" restrictions that deter people from investing their money in a mooring.

"Single recreational moorings shall be placed in such a position that the area encompassed by the arc of the swing does not extend more than one-third the open water distance from the mean high water line on one shore to the mean high water line on the opposite shore. Also, the arc of the swing must not impede or obstruct access to the land of any riparian property owner, the access and proper use of any public access point, or otherwise hinder the orderly access to and use of waterways by the general public."

From what I've seen, the odds are pretty long that someone in MD (environmentalists, the rich guy on shore, the guy with the ski boat, the guy that crabs the creek you chose for your mooring, etc.) would take offense with your placement and you'd have to prove you met all those rather nebulous parameters. There is also the issue of how you get to your boat. You'll have to launch your dingy somewhere and that's going to be over private property and may prove impossible in many suitable moorage areas.

If the DNR published a map highlighting areas that met the requirements, you'd likely see a lot more people avail themselves of this possibility. I likely would as it could cut my ownership costs by more than 1/2 if the logistics were reasonable.

Last edited by PalmettoSailor; 06-19-2013 at 07:40 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-24-2013

Coquina is on a distinguished road

Moorings are not a big deal in Maryland with the noted exceptions. I had one in Clements Creek (Severn River) and have one now in the Corsica River. I have had 0 problems with either one. That said - a mooring is quite useless without a facility on SHORE to park a car and keep a dinghy. THAT is what is in short supply. I actually think a permit process might be useful. We have a few creeks with what look like abandoned moorings that take up valuable space, but since no one knows who owns the things or their condition, no one can really use them or remove them. And then you have the derelict boats on moorings slowly sinking year by year..........

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-24-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coquina View Post
Moorings are not a big deal in Maryland with the noted exceptions. I had one in Clements Creek (Severn River) and have one now in the Corsica River. I have had 0 problems with either one. That said - a mooring is quite useless without a facility on SHORE to park a car and keep a dinghy. THAT is what is in short supply. I actually think a permit process might be useful. We have a few creeks with what look like abandoned moorings that take up valuable space, but since no one knows who owns the things or their condition, no one can really use them or remove them. And then you have the derelict boats on moorings slowly sinking year by year..........
Joe,

We have seen you a number of times on the Bay. Easy to pick out a brother 35 C&C. We get up the Chester a lot and the Corsica his our hideaway place in heavier winds.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 06-24-2013

Group9 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmettoSailor View Post
I'd bet that's not the case in Maryland waters.
It was when I lived there (1996 through 2004). I had a mooring in Chase Creek. You just found a spot that didn't crowd anybody else, and dumped your mooring anchor, and put a mooring ball out, and hoped nobody was on it when you came back from a days sail (of course, you would have your dinghy on the mooring most of the time for that very reason).

Maybe the laws have changed in the last nine years. Because, believe you me, they are professional complainers in Maryland and if there had been a regulation to stop it, I know people would have been calling the authorities.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Old 06-24-2013

Coquina is on a distinguished road

No change.