SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Chesapeake Bay (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/chesapeake-bay/)
-   -   Moorings (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/chesapeake-bay/100503-moorings.html)

AirborneSF 06-16-2013 02:03 PM

Moorings

Hello all, I was just reading another post on here, and wondered why it seems no one uses moorings? With the cost of slips up and down the bay at about three grand a year, I should think more skippers would? Why not?

Dog Ship 06-16-2013 02:18 PM

Re: Moorings

The first things that come to my mind are access and security, but a friend of ours did just this very thing a few years ago and has not had any problems. Moorage around here can be expensive. We just paid ours for the year, a 32' boat is $5100. Other than a private dock that's the best deal in town.
I was quite surprized to find out that there are no permits required to set a mooring in our harbour. I thought that given the cost of moorage there would be some sort of requirement but it is pretty much a free for all.

PalmettoSailor 06-16-2013 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dog Ship (Post 1044710)
snip.
I was quite surprized to find out that there are no permits required to set a mooring in our harbour. I thought that given the cost of moorage there would be some sort of requirement but it is pretty much a free for all.

I'd bet that's not the case in Maryland waters.

AirborneSF 06-17-2013 08:47 AM

Well from what I have been able to find out, it is that easy. As long as it's NOT in a channel, or blocks someone's access to their pier or ramp, there isn't a problem. Of course in Md. people seem to think their property goes to the mid point of the, bay/river/creek, and it just ain't so. .02

svHyLyte 06-17-2013 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AirborneSF (Post 1044968)
Well from what I have been able to find out, it is that easy. As long as it's NOT in a channel, or blocks someone's access to their pier or ramp, there isn't a problem. Of course in Md. people seem to think their property goes to the mid point of the, bay/river/creek, and it just ain't so. .02

Give it a whack and let us know how it turns out. Of course, you'll only discover what you aren't permitted to do after you've spent you time and money and some "environmentalist" lodges a complaint with the local constabulary eh?

AirborneSF 06-17-2013 11:07 AM

True, so true. I know up North, people use moorings all the time, as I said with the high cost of slips in and around the bay, I wonder why people didn't do it here? ?????? .02

Dog Ship 06-17-2013 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PalmettoSailor (Post 1044776)
I'd bet that's not the case in Maryland waters.

I don't have a clue about Maryland's regulations but it shouldn't be that hard to find out.
Our harbour, Tsehum Harbour becomes very full in the summer and has a good number of boats in it year round. There are many mooring bouys, mostly private but there are some Government ones too.
Of course, don't put it in a channel, who would.
It is always easier to ask for forgivness than it is permission.:)

Brent Swain 06-17-2013 07:35 PM

As bureuacrats, in their personal empire building efforts, force the cost of moorage up, the number boats on moorings in BC have increased exponentially, while marinas empty out. I can retire and cruise full time for far less than most people pay for moorage. So why would I park in any marina and pay someone ot give me a long list of rules and regulations on what I may or may not do on my own boat?

Brent Swain 06-17-2013 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svHyLyte (Post 1044992)
Give it a whack and let us know how it turns out. Of course, you'll only discover what you aren't permitted to do after you've spent you time and money and some "environmentalist" lodges a complaint with the local constabulary eh?

Many "Environmentalists" live ashore in big houses heated 24-7 , drive big gas guzzling cars and fly to the far side of the planet anually, with environmental foot prints many times what any liveaboard boater has. Unlike liveaboards, their own lifestyles would take several more planets to sustain indefinitely.

jsaronson 06-17-2013 09:51 PM

The city of annapolis requires a permit. Almost anywhere else you are free to drop a mooring if it is not a danger to navigation.